Author Topic: I'm the Buick guy  (Read 1360 times)

electra225

• View Profile
I'm the Buick guy
« on: November 11, 2014, 03:46:32 PM »
I'm the guy who is a member of a console forum who has a Buick in his avatar.  That explains my username, though.

My wife actually got me into Magnavox stereos.  Her mom left her a '61 Magnavox Symphony.  When we remodeled our house, it was in my way.  I wanted to put it on the burn pile, she wanted it fixed up.  She got her way, and I got into a rewarding part of the old electronics hobby.  We now own five Magnavox stereos, a '59 Concert Grand, a '60 Imperial, the '61 Symphony and her daily driver a '62 Concerto.  I have a '61 Concerto that I need to refinish the cabinet on.  I have several other "lesser" stereos and about 250 radios, amps, tape recorders, etc.

I may not make any friends with my opinion of the Concert Grand models.  I love mine and am glad to have it.  But it is not the best stereo ever built.  Not even the best Magnavox stereo ever built.  The Symphony with its 9302 amp chassis will outperform my Concert Grand hands down.  Instead of owning a barn full of the same model, I wanted one of each series so I could compare performance.  I still need to find a "little" Imperial to round out my collection.

I enjoy restoring the electronics.  There are slight mods that can be done to enhance performance and extend their lives.
I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
Re: I'm the Buick guy
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 09:08:50 PM »
We know who you are...LOL   :)
--Larry

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 10:36:05 PM »
Hi electra225 guy.  Thanks for the welcome. My aunt is giving me her 1960   Magnavox French provincial and I am not familiar enough with the era to call it Concerto or what. The Imperials seem to have front controls, not sliding lids ?   I'm trying to study the catalogs too get familiar with 1960 era consoles.
    When I got the CR-155 chassis, I didn't spend the time to slowly work each tube loose and see the tube type as I was about to  leave town and won't be back til tomorrow. It may have been a 6SG7 instead of 6SB7.  I don't think the tube was very close to the tuning capacitor cover and it was nearer to the 6J5 audio tubes. The 1941 brochure says the CR-155 has "amplified AVC" but maybe they count having an AVC controlled RF amplifier stage as amplified AVC. Also, I think they mentioned some kind of noise control and I wondered if that tube was an AVC controlled audio treble filter like on the Scott noise gate. I can't find the CR155 schematic anywhere so I will probably have to buy it online, which I don't mind as long as I get the full Rider Manual info.
    Was very nic that the first day received so many welcome messages.  I know this web site will give me man hours of enjoyment.  Ed

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 08:01:52 PM »
One model of Imperial had sliding lids.  A picture would be best to help us identify what you have.  And a model number, if you can find it.
I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 12:00:52 AM »
Hi Buick guy from Ed.
       The French Provincial is waiting for me back at my 89 year old aunts house so I will post the model as soon as I pick it up and lug it to Bethany Beach here in Delaware. For something so dainty and elegant looking it is HEAVY !   It's been in her living room in perfect 4 season climate control since it was delivered new to the house. Probably used only on Xmas day to play Perry Como and Nat King Cole Xmas albums. Other times, West Side Story, Sound of Music and Fiddle on the Roof, and that was it !!    I doubt the Beatles or Rolling Stones were allowed. It's probably spent weeks at a time with the entire thing powered up because people would sometimes manually put the tone arm on its rest and shut the lid when it was time to eat and forget about it.

I did find the schematic for Chassis cr-155 and the 6AB7 was a high gain "television" pentode that took the IF from the 2nd IF xformer primary, amplified it sent it to the other diode of the 6H6 and sent the rectified AVC to the 6SK7s and the 6SA7. The detected audio went only to the audio stages and was separate from the AVC. I'm interested in how the tuning "feel" is.

I will send comments and questions about your collection separately as the forum cut your posts off when I selected "post a reply."   This is a fantastic web site, if I can learn my around it.