Author Topic: Magnavox Intermezzo - Swedish Modern, Model # 1SC256 K  (Read 1276 times)

NewAtMag

• View Profile
Magnavox Intermezzo - Swedish Modern, Model # 1SC256 K
« on: April 16, 2019, 07:59:27 PM »
Hi, all.

I recently purchased my first Magnavox console record changer. I am new at this, and learning as I go via the internet. If anyone has any thoughts, advice, or even a story or two, please feel free to share them.

Style: Intermezzo Swedish Modern
Model Number: 1SC256 K, Mahogany
Year: 1961
Amp: 8301-10 , 100W

My history with it:
I bought this from a used furniture dealer in Kernersville, NC for $50 on April 9, 2019. She said that had acquired it at an estate sale of a house that had been closed up for twenty years. It seemed to be in good condition cosmetically, and she said that while it would power up, turn the platter, and move the arm, she couldn't get those things to happen at the same time. It included all the original paperwork: Instruction manual, warranty certificate, warranty card, inspection card.

Initial inspection results:
It would play at 33 speed when set to 45, and when set to 33, the platter wouldn't spin at all. All four speakers worked, and all the vacuum tubes lit up. The drive wheel seemed to be in good shape. The idler wheel was hard and had a divet in one place. The motor mounts were squishy and falling apart. Both needles looked a bit corroded, but not awful.

Cleaning and re-greasing:
I removed the platter from the turntable, and then the turntable from the console. I also pulled the idler wheel off. I cleaned off all the old grease I could find. I used Gumout Carb Cleaner for this. Then I put 3-in-1 oil in the motor bearings and the idler wheel post. I used white lithium grease on every other moving part I could find, generally making a mess with the stuff. I also packed grease in the center post ball bearings. Oh, and I cleaned the thick layer of dust off the vacuum tubes.

Motor mounts repair:
The bad motor mounts were causing the motor to sit too low, which was causing the idler wheel to hit the wrong part of the spindle, which in turn caused the platter to spin at the wrong speed. I ordered new motor mounts (model M2) from www.thevoiceofmusic.com. The new motor mounts caused the motor to then sit a little high. I used the idler wheel adjustment screw to raise it just a bit to align with the motor spindle.

Idler wheel repair:
I ordered a refurbished (new rubber) wheel from www.thevoiceofmusic.com. Wheel #1449. I was pleased to see that it was an exact match for the old one.

Better, but still playing slightly slow:
With the cleaning, greasing, and new parts, it was much better but still a little slow. I found some black hard rubber along the inside edge of the platter. I sanded it a bit and cleaned the rest off with rubbing alcohol. I also cleaned the edge of the new idler wheel with rubbing alcohol. I printed out a stroboscopic test record onto cardstock, and downloaded Strobily, which is an Android app. It has a nice feature to set the strobe to calibrate turntables. Using the stroboscopic test record and Strobily, I confirmed that I'm really close to the correct speed now.

New needles:
I bought new needles from www.thevoiceofmusic.com. Parts 352-D7 and 352-S3.

External cleaning:
The wood is in really good condition. I cleaned it with soap and water, paper towels, and a toothbrush.

After all that:
I really love it. It's playing reliably, the changer function and the return function work. It's just a neat old record player. When I was growing up, it seemed like every house had a console record player, but I don't ever remember seeing any that looked this cool.

Upcoming repairs:
It seems like there's more sound coming from the right speakers than from the left. The treble cuts out sometimes as the treble control is being turned. All this points to electrical problems, so I need to pull out the wires, clean the speaker and amp terminals, clean the potentiometers, and re-cap the amp. I know that the amp could be destroyed if I allow one of those old caps to blow, so I should re-cap it sooner rather than later.

NewAtMag

• View Profile
Re: Magnavox Intermezzo - Swedish Modern, Model # 1SC256 K
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 08:02:28 PM »
Some scans of the paperwork that came with this record changer.

NewAtMag

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 08:05:46 PM »
Some more labels and number photos.

NewAtMag

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 08:08:12 PM »
A few more photos.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 08:22:36 PM »
All I can say is WOW!  You have done everything correctly so far with the changer.  Now it's time for the amp, and if I may give you some advise...don't wait!!  One day it is working fine, the next day poof.  First install a fuse.  Then replace all the caps, both electrolytic and paper, using the brands you prefer.  You can re-stuff the electrolytic can, or hide your new electrolytic caps under the chassis.  Your choice.  Again, axial or radial caps, your choice.  Clean all controls, contacts, switches, and anything else you can see that needs cleaning.   :)  Don't forget to check your resistor, and once it's all done you will have years of enjoyment.  Please keep us posted with your progress.  Good luck, and have fun.   ;D

Bill

NewAtMag

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 08:39:49 PM »
All I can say is WOW!  You have done everything correctly so far with the changer.  Now it's time for the amp, and if I may give you some advise...don't wait!!  One day it is working fine, the next day poof.  First install a fuse.  Then replace all the caps, both electrolytic and paper, using the brands you prefer.  You can re-stuff the electrolytic can, or hide your new electrolytic caps under the chassis.  Your choice.  Again, axial or radial caps, your choice.  Clean all controls, contacts, switches, and anything else you can see that needs cleaning.   :)  Don't forget to check your resistor, and once it's all done you will have years of enjoyment.  Please keep us posted with your progress.  Good luck, and have fun.   ;D

Bill

Wow, Bill. Thank you for that! Honestly, I'm a bit daunted by the re-capping. I have a college degree in electronics, and I've done a fair amount of tinkering, but this thing has so many caps. It seems like a big job. Maybe I'll devote a Saturday to it. I wasn't sure what was in that can. Will I be able to pull the existing cap out of that can to see what size it is?

NewAtMag

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 08:59:39 PM »
Oh, and should I look forward to hearing a sound improvement once the recapping is done? Or am I just doing this for the sake of safety?

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 10:05:00 PM »
What Bill said.  Be sure to put in a fuse.  And don't forget the capacitors in the crossover network.  You may not hear a lot of change in the way it sounds.  Safety is the predominant reason for doing a good tune-up before something unpleasant happens.  Nice job and good luck.  Welcome to the forum!   :) :)
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2019, 10:33:30 PM »
And one more comment.  I remember reading somewhere that rubbing alcohol often contains a lubricant to make it more rub-able, so it's not the best choice for cleaning friction devices.  I haven't verified that claim.  Your hardware store will have shellac thinner alcohol.  It's cheap and useful to have around anyway.  I just looked online and it's usually denatured (poisoned) ethanol, or can be methanol, and maybe even isopropyl alcohol.  The ame source pointed out that rubing alcohol s 30% water so it isn't useful for thinning shellac.  I've always got a can of hardware-store alcohol in my paint and solvent cabinet.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2019, 10:51:35 PM »
There was a guy in the store the other day who bought a bottle of Everclear.  He said he was going to use it to thin shellac.  Did you ever hear of anybody using Everclear to thin shellac? 

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2019, 12:09:28 AM »
You can't buy it in Michigan.  I tried.  Even the pharmacy couldn't get it.  I suspect it's pricey, and anybody who claimed to be thinning with it was referring to changing the viscosity of his blood, not his shellac.  I needed grain alcohol for an old compass.  The instructions said refill with 50/50 alcohol & water.  Somebody pointed out that the solution is to buy cheap 100 proof vodka--clear, and half alcohol.  So I did, and there's a pint bottle of cheap vodka in my cabinet as compass fluid.  Really.  Not for increasing blood alcohol % or for thinning shellac.

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2019, 07:33:17 AM »
First let me say, don't be afraid!  If I can do it, so can you.  :)  Next, you will need a schematic/service info.  I did I quick look in the downloads but did not see your amp listed.  :(  Check on line, and you can ask here on the forum.  There is a wealth of information/documentation available from the members just for the asking. 

As far as recapping, the only electrolytic I see is the can cap.  The values are written on the side and pretty easy to read.  The only other caps I see that should be replaced are the two white ones on the bottom side of the chassis.  There maybe something hiding that I can not see in your photo.  The schematic will show and tell all, and important to have before you start.

As far as re-stuffing the can cap goes, there are several ways you can do it, and several opinions on the correct way.  It really boils down to what you are comfortable with.  Greg/Electra 225 has a pretty simple way to re-stuff, and there are several examples on line.  Or, you can just bypass the can cap and install your electrolytic caps under the chassis.  Again, it's yours, and your preference. 

Both Chris and Greg had good points, and things that I have a tendency to forget.  Referring to the crossover caps, and using something that won't leave an oily residue on the changer tire. 

This hobby brings lots of enjoyment to most of us, I know it does me.  I enjoy the hunt, looking for something unique, cheap, and then making it work.  And, if you have not read or noticed, this hobby is addicting.  I think this saying has become the forum motto:   "There is always room for one more."   ::) ;)

Ask question if you need too and someone will usually jump in and give a helping hand.  Good luck, and most of all have fun.  :)

Bill

NewAtMag

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2019, 08:01:47 AM »
Hi, guys.

Thanks for the tips. The alcohol I'm using is 90% Isopropyl and 10% purified water. Hopefully that's good enough.

Bill, Chris, and Greg, thanks for the fuse and cap advice. Bill I especially appreciate you telling me about which caps you notice need to be replaced. Sounds like there are just a few in the amp. And then I do have one paper cap on each of the 2 small speakers. I'll replace those also. I'm definitely less scared now. In fact, I'm excited about it.  :)

I'll look at a video or two about re-stuffing a can, but really, I'll probably just tuck the cap into the amp with all the other circuitry.

And there are schematics floating around for this amp. I'll hunt those down again and share them here.

And as for "There is always room for more," um, no, I'm pretty sure there's not. Just ask my wife.  :)

NewAtMag

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2019, 08:07:44 AM »
Oh, a question:

Should the paper caps be replaced with film caps? And the electrolytic caps replaced with new electrolyte caps?

Thanks.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2019, 09:53:21 AM »
Yes and yes.  Happy to help.