Author Topic: Magnavox Intermezzo - Swedish Modern, Model # 1SC256 K  (Read 1561 times)

Bill

• View Profile
Re: Magnavox Intermezzo - Swedish Modern, Model # 1SC256 K
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2019, 12:45:44 PM »
Like Greg said, yes and yes.  The paper caps get film, and the electrolytic get electrolytic.  But, the electrolytic can cap has different chambers.  There maybe three or four caps you will need to make up what's contained within the can cap.  Then you will either re-stuff or hide under the chassis.   :)

As far as "There is always room for one more",  let your wife pick out the cabinet of her choice.   ;)

Bill

NewAtMag

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2019, 01:08:01 PM »

As far as "There is always room for one more",  let your wife pick out the cabinet of her choice.   ;)

Now that you mention it, when this one was just a photo on the internet, we were trying to figure out what dark corner of the house we'd hide it in. But when she saw it in person, she wanted in the living room! But the cats would scratch it up there, so now we're looking for a dark corner again. Point is that she sees the beauty of it now.  :)

1959MagnificentMagnavox

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2019, 01:21:42 PM »
I like the handles style on the front. very nice find and for 50.00 thats a heck of a deal

NewAtMag

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2019, 01:28:18 PM »
Yes, I agree that it looks good and that it was a great deal. And there's nothing fundamentally wrong with it either. Normal wear and tear from age. For $50, I'm very pleased.

And to think that it cost almost $200 back in 1961. That was a ton of money back then! It makes me even happier about the $50 price that I paid.

NewAtMag

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2019, 07:08:10 PM »
Hey, guys.

Can you give me some pointers regarding the installation of a fuse? Is that fuse just inline with the hot side of the power cord?

Thanks.

NewAtMag

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2019, 10:26:47 PM »
Hey, guys.

Can you give me some pointers regarding the installation of a fuse? Is that fuse just inline with the hot side of the power cord?

Thanks.

And what rating fuse would you use? I'm guessing 1A, as this is a 100W device on a 120V supply. 100 divided by 120 is 0.83Watts. What about the voltage rating? Looking at arrow.com, I'm confused with all the fuses and fuse holders. What would you all use?

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2019, 07:41:08 AM »
If you go to Digikey's website and look for their fuse number F1498ND, that's the style I use.  It does not need to be from them,  but that's the style, with a single hole in the middle to mount it with.  I just drill a hole in the chassis, use a bolt, lock washer, and nut, and bolt it in place.  It is in line with the hot side of the power cord, and your formula is also correct to pick the size of the fuse for amps. At least that's the formula I use.  As far as voltage goes, I think you are safe up to 250 volts.  I would also recommend a time delay or slow blow.  I have purchased my fuse holders at automotive store, Radio Shack, or any store that might deal with electronics. 

I hope this helps!

Bill

NewAtMag

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2019, 08:04:45 AM »
Thanks, Bill. That's very helpful. A quick Digikey search and Google search doesn't find F1498ND, but I'll keep looking for it.

NewAtMag

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2019, 08:19:38 AM »
Searching Arrow.com for  F1498ND yields one result, and it looks like what you described:

https://www.arrow.com/en/products/03540101zxgy/littelfuse

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2019, 12:21:31 PM »
That's it!  It's just an example, they are available most anywhere.  Have you looked at Sal's website?  A lot of us use Sal.

Here's his site:

http://www.tuberadios.com/capacitors/

Bill

NewAtMag

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2019, 12:47:50 PM »
Great.

I ordered one of those, and I ordered a different style also https://www.arrow.com/en/products/03420038h/littelfuse

I'm not sure which one I will use. The second one seems beneficial in that its electrical connections could be inside the chassis while you'd still have access to replace the fuse from the outside of the chassis.

I didn't look at Sal's website. Maybe next time. I had already picked out all my capacitors on Arrow, and they have free overnight shipping on all orders, so it's tough to beat. I should receive the parts tomorrow, so i can get the work done Saturday morning. And then by Saturday afternoon, I can be enjoying the Magnavox once again.

Thanks for all your help and advice.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2019, 08:00:09 PM »
Either will work, it's your choice, and what you feel comfortable with.  Let us know how everything comes out.  Music is just around the corner.   ;)

Bill

electra225

• View Profile
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

NewAtMag

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2019, 09:04:08 AM »
Thanks, guys. This is all great.

FedEx tracking shows that the package has arrived at my house. It's got caps, fuse holders, and fuses in it. I hope to get this work done tonight. I also plan to replace the power cord. The old cord seems to be fine, but just for grins, I pulled a modern cord off a broken DVD player. Better safe than sorry.

I'll post my results here. Hopefully soon!

Thanks again.