Author Topic: Magnavox Intermezzo - Swedish Modern, Model # 1SC256 K  (Read 2203 times)

Bill

• View Profile
Re: Magnavox Intermezzo - Swedish Modern, Model # 1SC256 K
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2019, 11:40:54 AM »
Thanks for keeping us in the loop.  ;)

Bill

NewAtMag

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2019, 08:41:10 PM »
Ok, the cap replacement is done, along with a new power cord and fuse.

I did not double check the resistance values. I'll save that for a different day (meaning I'll probably never do it).

I also did not clean the pots. Now I wish I had. As I'm playing with the Magnavox tonight, I'm seeing that the volume knob and the treble knob cause static and don't always work in all positions. I saw that a couple squirts of electronics cleaner can help with that. Maybe tomorrow.

One heartbreaking moment during the electronics work today. The amp chassis hole where the power cord used to be was almost big enough to fit my new fuse holder in. I just needed to drill it out a little bigger. I had no idea that my drill bit was going to go through the metal so quickly. It plowed right through the circuit, breaking a terminal strip in half (super-glued back now), and breaking a 100 ohm resistor that's part of the pilot light circuitry. Fortunately, it didn't damage any of the cloth wires or the vacuum tube jacks. I replaced the resistor, and all seems to be functional.

I left the cap can in place, fully stuffed with the old caps. I just cut the terminals and stuck a chuck of epoxy over it to prevent anything from accidentally shorting to the remnants of the terminals. you can see the new electrolytic caps sprinkled throughout the circuit.

All in all, it was successful. No smoke, no flames, not popped fuses. Should be many good years of music left in this old player.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2019, 06:26:16 AM »
From what I can see from your photos, you did a great job.  It's neat, and you covered all the bases.  The electrolytic caps are well placed and you replaced the two white caps with the two red/orange caps.  Don't feel bad about the drill thing, we are human and we make mistakes.  I'm walking proof!  :)  The other thing you need to know, it takes at least one time of removing the chassis after you get it all back together, bolted into place, and think you are done.  Please take the time to clean all pots/controls, and clean all connectors.  You won't be sorry, you just need to take the time and do it.  It will make things a whole lot better, both now, and down the road.  ;D 

See how easy it was, and fun too.  Now, it's time to apply:  "there is always room for one more."   :) :) ;) ;) ::)

Bill

NewAtMag

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2019, 03:13:36 PM »
Thank you, Bill! Yes it was fun! All my recent electronics projects involved circuit boards. Soldering in a point-to-point circuit is like a breath of fresh air. Everything was so easy to get to.

I went to the auto parts store this morning and bought some CRC QD Electronic Cleaner, as I had seen that some people have used it to clean their turntable pots.

I just finished cleaning it thoroughly. I cleaned the pots, the terminals, the speaker leads. I even sanded and cleaned the vacuum tube leads. They went from 100% black to 30% black, 70% silver. I was afraid of working them too much, so I quit before I bent any pins.

The results? I'm stunned. Not only do the controls work flawlessly, but this Magnavox is louder with a booming bass. I had previously turned the bass all the way up. Now the bass knob is at the 75% mark, and it's plenty. And the treble knob makes a very significant difference, whereas before, it really didn't kick in until it was almost maxed out. I'm really surprised by the sound quality and control. A good cleaning was all it took. Thanks for persuading me to take it apart again and clean it up. Lesson learned!

I think I'm done with this restoration. The only remaining problem, that I hadn't mentioned before, and that the pot cleaning didn't take care of, is that the "BAL" control on the back of the amp doesn't completely switch the sound from left to right or vice versa. Maybe it's not supposed to. You can definitely hear more of the sound on one side or the other when you work that control, but not complete isolation. Doesn't matter. It sounds pretty sweet right in the middle, which is where I'll keep it all the time anyway.

I think this restoration is done. Thank you guys for all your help and encouragement! It's good to have a place to go where people are friendly and so dog-gone helpful.

And no, we still don't have room for another.  :) ;)

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2019, 04:11:23 PM »
If you ever want to tackle the balance control just let us know.  And, darn, for not having enough room for "just one more."   ;) ;)

Bill

robbo

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2019, 08:16:32 PM »

NewAtMag

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2019, 07:30:19 AM »

Whoa! Robbo, thank you! I had not seen this before. I had seen a Sam's sheet for the amp, but never for the entire player. Thank you so much for this!