Author Topic: Stromberg-Carlson 1121 PFM  (Read 414 times)

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
Re: Stromberg-Carlson 1121 PFM
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2019, 01:48:57 PM »
     I will be seeing the Stromberg-Carlson tomorrow at the 90th birthday party tomorrow afternoon. It is in the living room in the guy's daughters house but after a fewe hours with this bunch of revelers, they  well be so liquoored up that no-one will even notice me sliding the unit away from the wall and taking pictures. From the front the unit looks exactly like yours, although there are levers on the left and right edges of the tuning dial glass for bass and treble. 
       When any of the band changing buttons are  pushed (the buttons that aren't the Standard Broadcast station selectors) the unit makes noises like a starter motor on a car for a few seconds. There's supposed to be a muting switch that shorts out the speaker leads while the band changing motor is running, at least on the schematic, but you still get a scary  sounding power supply  hum through the speaker maybe through the field power supply coil instead of the 6L6 output tubes.
       There are two extra phono plugs on the back of the chassis. One is labeled speaker reactor and goes to an iron coil mounted elsewhere on the cabinet and it might provide the right amount of bass emphasis for this particular unit's speaker and enclosure. The other is labelled phono equalizer and has a small subchasssis with a capacitor or two that might equalize for whatever cartridge is in the unit.
       This chassis doesn't mount vertically, it just slides in from the back and you have to line the control shafts with the front panel holes for the last 2 inches or so of insertion. The back of the speaker doesn't show from the back. The speaker  enclosure is totally  sealed.
        Half of the time that my friend listens to this thing, she forgets to open the door that covers the speaker grill and doesn't even notice how muffled the sound is.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2019, 06:02:22 PM »
The photos are at your convenience Greg, we will just be waiting.   ;)

Bill

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2019, 06:12:46 PM »
I finally got my camera to talk to the new computer. New computer, older camera.  Technology!!  :(  So as promised, this is what I found in the Stromberg Carlson cabinet I gave Greg. 

The receiver, as you can tell by reading the name, is Bell.  It's mono with PP output tubes.  It's model 2521, which seems to be the only receiver they built. 

Can anyone identify the speaker?  Anyone!  I will wait and see if anyone can identify it before I post it's name.  I know, I'm mean.  The way the photo shows the speaker being mounted, is exactly the way it was mounted in the SC.  And, just one screw holding it in place, screwing through the plywood and continuing into the cabinet floor. 

Here's a link to Bell:

http://www.wingspreadrecords.com/Bell.htm

Bill

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2019, 10:54:54 PM »
Whomever put those components in the SC cabinet did not damage the cabinet one iota.  There were a couple extra screw holes, but nothing that can't be easily fixed.  That is unusual.  I'll remain mum, since I have a conflict of interest on this one!  I reckon taking the panel out for the tuning dial is technically damage, but it was no big deal to make right.  Even the grille cloth is usuable.
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2019, 02:51:49 AM »
      I can identify the speaker because....I actually had two of them, plus some literature. They are Stephens Tru-sonic model 206 ASA.  You might recognize the aluminum treble driver metal disk (about 2 " diameter) with the three radial bosses in it 120 degrees apart as being the same style as the voice coil cover on the late 40's Magavox with the large tweeter horn, also built by Stephens. Stephens was a LA California company and he may have worked with James Lansing on speake designs before each had their own  companies. The 206 AXA was their most expensive speaker. It had one magnetic circuit but 2 separate voice coils, one large one in the front for the woofer and one small one in the back for the tweeter horn. They really needed a large cabinet for proper bass response, and I mean 50's large, not bookshelf large. In my old house I had mounted the two Stephens with 8 other 15" speakers in wooden panels that stacked in a doorway leading from a bedroom into the living room and paralleled all the 16 ohm voice coils to a 4  ohm tap on a 60 watt tube power amp. That was the common bass for the stereo and some horns on either side were left and right treble. Gotta post now

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2019, 03:29:00 AM »
            The 206 AXA listed for $ 133 in a 1956 Radio Master catalog. Stephens also made a speaker with a 500 ohm voice coil and a companion 500 ohm tube amplifier with no output transformer to drive it. I looked up the 206 on eBay and the prices were astronomical. Both of mine got loose wires in the voice coils after being used by me a while. I don't see how....all ten speakers were in parallel and driven by one 60 mono basic tube power amp. They were all 16 ohm speakers. These speakers were in various homemade cabinets all throughout the house when I bought it, and I bought them all from the estate when I bought the house in 1982. The house was full of fifties vintage hifi gear and literature, and it had to have been sent to me from heaven above. It had several Fisher items too from maybe the President line----400 preamp, SA300 power amp and those "locomotive" style 80 power amps with EL37s. All gone, sadly except for the midrange and tweeter horns and 4 of the 15 inch woofers and some tube power amps.  Hopefully I will get a stereo hooked up again soon.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2019, 06:08:52 AM »
You get the prize Ed!  And, you had two?  I know you mentioned that everything was gone, but, what happened to it all?  Sell, give away, throw away?  And, the literature.  Do you still have that, or at least some of it?  I too checked the net for the value of what I found in the cabinet.  I was shocked at what I found.  The seller in the antique booth did not take the time to research what was in there.  For what I paid for everything, and it was cheap, I really did well.   ::) ;) :)

Here's a link for the Stephens products:

Bill

http://www.itishifi.com/search/label/Stephens%20Trusonic

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2019, 10:35:13 AM »
     Bill, it went the way of all flesh, to quote Samuel Butler. My house and my health had both deteriorated so badly that, after getting my mother's house sold, after her and my brother's passing, and after getting rid of her and his lifetime hoardings, I just didn't have the stomach to do the extensive repairs on my roof even after finally being able to afford it. So I sold the house to my next door neighbor and just took a ChevyVan load of super-prized electronic gear and literature. The neighbor hired a crew of energetic young kids and parked a large dumpster in front of the front door...........you can guess the rest.
      After emptying the house, and tearing it down to the cement block basement walls and cement floor, he decided against rebuilding it as a two story home, and sold it to others who wound up tearing it all down and now it sits as a muddy rectangular pit !! I think the county made them do it. The neighborhood had septic tanks and water wells, and the allowable distances between them kept increasing over the last fifty years to the point where I don't think they were able to do a new house build with a large enough drain field for a 4 bedroom home with 4 bathrooms (mine was 2 bedroom) so they gave up on getting a permit. Maybe they're holding out on the hope that the neighborhood will eventually get city water and sewage, but it hasn't happened since 1948 and I don't think it's about to.
       On the good side...I have been buying things I have always dreamed of owning that are now super cheap and available on eBay. For example an HH Scott 310B FM mono tuner, a Boonton Radio Corp FM-AM signal generator, some interesting battery powered tube portable AM shortwave radios, like Transoceanic and a Musicaire, all project things, not restored. Right now  my living room is full of cardboard and bubble wrap, it's amazing how eBay sellers pack stuff like it's going over Niagara Falls. That mystery Capehart 1951 radio phono chassis that has the one year only elusive "Separate Sound" SS switch position. oops gotta post !!!

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2019, 11:10:05 AM »
          The Boonton Radio Corp generator is to look at and adjust alignment curves for FM tuners and things. I know Gregg's mom would have approved as she did the Sarkes Tarzian tuners !!  BTW, Gregg, did your mother also work on the turret tuners that were used in some of the Hallicrafters "WorldWide" battery multiband portable tube radios of the fifties ? The turrets looked very similar.
          I would qualify getting rid of a lifetimes collection of electronics as close to an earth-shattering "Significant Emotional Event" as one can get without actual physical scars. Supposedly we , as humans, have all our personality traits already frozen in cement by the time we are 10 years old or so, barring a Significant Emotional event, such as a severe economic depression, major war, loss of parents in a car wreck, etc, in later years. Witness the Depression baby, now a Cadillac owning senior, who drives 10 miles out of his way to save 5 cents a gallon on watered down gasoline ! The SEE term was created by a University of Waco behaviorial psych guy I think.
         Occasionally I will suddenly recall a particularly treasured book or piece of tube equipment deep in the basement of my old house I forgot to get out before the dumpster party, and will get depressed all over again. On the bright side, I will occasionally discover in a packed box that I hadn't opened since the move, a piece of equipment or book I thought didn't make it. A HH Scott 130 stereo preamp and some volumes of Riders Service manuals for example. Ups and downs.
        One day I might become a "stacker" yet. This forum has plenty of pictures as a guide for that !!!

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2019, 12:45:00 PM »
Yeah, Ed, if you want to learn Stacking 101, you have come to the right place!   :) :)

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2019, 07:01:26 AM »
Ed!

I am so sorry you had to leave stuff behind, and I full understand how you must have felt and still do fell.  I have lots of regrets as well.  I really feel bad that the next door neighbor did not even try and recycle your treasures.  And when I say recycle, I don't mean recycle like we do weekly.  He at least should have ran an ad in the local paper, Craig's list, something tell what was in the house and offering it for, if nothing else free.  Again, I'm sorry!

Bill

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2019, 09:33:28 AM »
          The ironic part is that two of my cars were ideal for getting rid of lots of stuff. One was a 72 Mercury wagon with roof rack., the other an 87 Jeep Cherokee with roof rack, both vehicles had fold down rear seats for a large flat cargo area. The Merc could carry 4 X 8 sheets of plywood with tailgate closed. The problem was that they were also ideal vehicles for bringing lots of stuff INTO the house too.
          Also several of my older friends, guys with a 30 year head start on me, had extensive collections of electronic parts, literature, test equipment etc, and guess who their widow thought of first and foremost when they passed away and she was house downsizing ??  They would think of me and that roomy  empty station wagon and that was it.
         Has anyone ever see those TV shows caller Hoarders.??   Hoarder is the new term for pack rat and the original euphemism,, collector. The hoarder house has a small narrow twisting path from room to room. On either side at a steep angle rises piles of junk like a narrow river through the river valley in Tennessee. Well, substitute electronic stuff for cabbage patch dolls and bric-a-brac, and that was my house.  When you accumulate it gradually enough, you don''t really see it, like gaining weight or getting old.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2019, 10:00:44 AM »
There was a discussion on "that other forum" some time back.  One of the know-it-all snoots, an arbiter of common sense and morality, posted that he was downsizing and was liquidating some of his collection, methodology be damned.  Some was sold, some was given away, some went into the dumpster.  Other posters expressed concern that a collection so carefully considered was being disposed of in such a precipitous and haphazard manner.  The OP made a statement that anybody who hesitated to dispose of their collection of whatever quality "when the time came" had a mental illness.  While the OP has little credibility in my mind and is not someone whose opinion was congruous with mine, that statement has left a lasting impression.

If holding onto stuff past its prime or usefulness is a mental illness, I have it.  I suspect, however that I may have company.   ;) :)