Author Topic: Magnavox 1ST622  (Read 62 times)

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
Magnavox 1ST622
« on: May 09, 2019, 12:00:23 PM »
I sure hope this is not at the Habitat Restore when I compulsively stop by after work!!!!! ??? ::) :-[

After finding a 1ST659, which says "Imperial micromatic" on the RC, do I need another? I don't think the 622 has that, though it looks the same.

Last week the Magnavox 268H (1956 Concert Master) was there for $75 and then gone soon after. Any dumb bunny could see the tubes in that huge amp as they walked in the door, as the open back was against the storefront ::)
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
Re: Magnavox 1ST622
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 09:15:05 AM »
And it was there, ALSO it was 20% off that day :D. I will get some picture uploaded but it is identical inside to my other 1962 Normandy Symphony. The only difference is the record player in the Normandy says "Imperial micromatic", but looks identical otherwise.

As our Magnavox-savvy moderators have pointed out, this model range had the last all-tube consoles and has the 9300-series amp that uses 6EU7 preamp/phase splitter tubes and PP-6BQ5. This one had the original Mullards  ;), not wimpy RCA-branded 6BQ5 that all the parts house carried. Those were in my other Mag's amp, but at least those were ALL replaced at the same time.

It was plugged in already  :-[ so , what the heck, I moved selector from phono over to FM stereo and it warmed right up with decent sound out of both speakers. I unplugged it almost immediately, satisfied that all was OK inside and ripe for a restoration ;D

There was also a compact but not cheap 1968 Magnavox sitting by the door where the concert Master was last week. So I paid for and carted up the 622, moved this other Maggy over and plugged it in. 

After some back and forth :P, the SS Mag's radio/amp came to life and I grabbed a record, something like Opera, and put it on the changer. Someone moved the record stabilizer arm over without lifting it, but I popped it back in place and everything worked! I left the record on the spindle all ready, in case someone wanted to try it.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave