Author Topic: Pin-out diagrams for car stereos?  (Read 66 times)

TC Chris

• View Profile
Pin-out diagrams for car stereos?
« on: May 09, 2019, 07:13:56 PM »
I was out in the garage getting the boat's mooring ball out--spring may show up eventually--and I had to move a couple car radio/cassette players a neighbor had given me.  One is a Sony EXR 14 and the other a Toyota branded Fujitsu Ten with a "I'm not quite sure" model no.  I've also got an old Delco AM-FM radio.  For each one, the big challenge is the pin-out diagram, which lead is what.  You've got power in, lighting power in, maybe a clock or memory power in, antenna power leads, and then all the speaker outs.  Quite the mess to figure out without a diagram.  Any suggestions on a good source of info?

The Fujitsu Ten looks interesting--it has AM stereo.

Chris Campbell

Alfista

• View Profile
Re: Pin-out diagrams for car stereos?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 01:03:55 PM »
Do you have the pigtail wiring for these, or is it just the jack on the back of the radio?

Sony should be standard car stereo color codes if you have the wires. The age will make a difference to the factory radio pinouts.

Fujistsu was pretty good about labeling the PCB connections, take the bottom off and you'll probably find enough to get you going. I doubt you'll have such luck with the Delco, but it should be easy unless it's something newer & designed to work with the CAN bus.

Both of the factory units will use BTL amps inside, don't assume any speaker negatives to be common.

The Delco will be the best sounding of the 3. Upload some pics, and I'll help you out. I spent more than a decade of youth in that world.
-Tim

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 05:45:23 PM »
The Sony has the pigtail and the others don't.  I did take the old Delco apart some time back and try to figure out where the jack contacts were connected.  It's elderly and mono.  It still had me buffaloed.  On the boat I have an old cassette receiver that I found in a ditch while biking once.  It's basic and I figured that one out--power in and speaker outs so I used a standard trailer light connector on it. 

Next week I'll snap some photos.

Chris Campbell

Alfista

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 04:17:59 PM »
Here's a late 80's Fujitsu Ten from a Camry. I should still have pin designations for many factory wiring plugs from the 70's-90's
-Tim