Author Topic: RCA 1967 Cpmbo HJ843W  (Read 55 times)

hermitcrab

• View Profile
RCA 1967 Cpmbo HJ843W
« on: May 12, 2019, 02:21:32 PM »
I got the radio and Phono working excellent, now time to tackle the TV portion. Sure wish I did not get rid of my CRT tester...
A Big Thank You goes out to Bill W.
Thanks for allowing a old geezer like me to relive my teens .
Here is a video playing some period music https://youtu.be/pKrwkL3OZOs
Elton

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
Re: RCA 1967 Cpmbo HJ843W
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 08:48:09 AM »
The TV portion will be an adventure.

If that chassis is a CTC28 or 30, make sure the HV transformer (AKA flyback or horizontal output trans) is not cooked. A few wax drippings are to be expected but arcing-burning and/or shorted turns are death! Hours, heat and misadjusted sweep and HV take their toll on these RCA's. They really look fantastic when set up right and all the solder joints are touched up on the PCB's. 

I highly recommend videokarma for help on this, as those guys are primarily working on color sets like yours.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

hermitcrab

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 12:15:48 PM »
Hi ... its a CTC-28AA chassis... after checking the HV section and  inspecting the chassis for obvious defects...I threw caution to the wind and turned it on ... has a raster and sound , but everything is dirty , all the controls , tuner, etc..Need to test all the tubes the CRT was replaced in 1980 and it is a Sylvania branded tube... the raster is fair not bright , but it appears there is no signal coming though the IF section... no snow just raster... lots of work to do...   
Elton

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 03:01:18 PM »
 ;) Sounds good so far, you may even have a replacement flyback to go with that "Colorbright" CRT.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave