Author Topic: Another orphan followed me home  (Read 3321 times)

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
Re: Another orphan followed me home
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2019, 04:04:38 PM »
Wow the speakers must have been its limitation all along. Sounds like a Zenith,, even better that its a mystery! If it sounds good, it IS good. I think a famous blues musician said that. :-\
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2019, 06:01:30 PM »
Wow the speakers must have been its limitation all along. Sounds like a Zenith,, even better that its a mystery! If it sounds good, it IS good. I think a famous blues musician said that. :-\

That's from Duke Ellington, a pretty good source.

Chris Campbell

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2019, 06:05:01 PM »
I read on ARF where you are still looking for some type of identification or a schematic for this little stereo.  Do you see the numbers "A-15", "FM-15" or "PR-45" on the chassis or cabinet anywhere? 

Never mind.  Those would be from 1958, too old.  I'm grasping at straws.  Sorry.   ::) :-[

I have not found a scratch about "Home Mark" anywhere.  There is a store in South Africa by that name and a guy on ebay who used it as his handle.  Nary a scratch on the electronics.  That has to be a store brand, but what store?

None of those numbers appear...  My plan was to find the store brand so I did a search on Home-Mark.  It was a brand of Japanese postwar sewing machines, modeled as they did then on a Singer.  So I don't even know who was using that brand for stereos.  It's a mystery, right up there with "what year and model is this Magnavox."

Chris Campbell

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2019, 08:17:12 PM »
Since there's not much posting going on, I'll add some photos of the Parts Express speakers I used--the 3-1/2" tweeter and 6-1/2" woofer.  I looked in my previous posts when I was trying to find the photos without hooking up my camera, and found none.  Oops.  I did put them up over on ARF where there was some tut-tutting over putting a loose-suspension speaker in an open-back cabinet.  First the console, with new speakers on the left and old on the right.

Then the components themselves, both sides, sitting on the red truck's tailgate.  The tweets have a little plywood mounting ring I cut to make them fit.

Chris Campbell

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2019, 08:22:11 PM »
One more thing... in the speaker photos, you'll see square nuts holding the plywood ring.  They're from a big collection of random nuts & bolts, 4 wooden boxes of them, that my brother bought for a couple bucks at a house sale and left at Mom's house.  They're a tremendous resource, especially when the hardware store is closed (i.e., 95% of the time when you need some small part).

So... when did they stop making square nuts and move exclusively to hex, and why?  I mean, you could make a socket to fit square nuts, and they never slip in an open-end wrench like hex heads do when stressed.

Chris Campbell

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2019, 09:20:17 PM »
Wow, our super-restorer Greg has sent me his old Maggie grille cloth to use on the little console.  It looks very close to the stuff that was originally on the device, judging by the edges that show inside after the original was removed (why???).  His remnants will be enough to fit the smaller dimensions of my little console.  Now I need to find some tempered Masonite to make little panels to hold the cloth.

After that, I'll need to figure out why the changer motor doesn't go and how to get the turntable off a "modern" version of the V-M 1200 series (one with the size-sensing button in the turntable).  And then work on recapping to give a little more oomph and a little less hum.

But sitting about 6 feet from the console is the '61 Chevy, suffering from a dirty gas tank and a plugged-up Rochester 4GC carburetor.  The Chevy, a summer car, may get priority. 

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2019, 06:04:58 AM »
As you well know Chris, summer is the short season here in Michigan.  :( :(   So, I full agree with you, get the Chevy on the road and enjoy some cruising time.   :) :) :)

Bill

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2019, 09:25:03 AM »
That is the original grille cloth off my 616.  My feeling was, and still is, that Magnavox did not do a terrific job matching that cloth to the "NWAL", natural walnut cabinet, on the 1ST616 stereo.  The finish did nothing for the cloth, the cloth did nothing for the finish.  I used black grain filler under the finish, so the brown cane grille cloth had to go.  It was in such good shape still that I did not toss it.  I'm a saver, a "somebody might need that someday" type.  I hope it works out well in the little orphan stereo.

We rescued a little dog from a snow drift in 2009.  The little dog looked like he had been groomed with a weed eater.  We gave the little rescue dog a fancy name, Bentley.  Now you can give your little rescue stereo Magnavox grille cloth.   :) :)

If you can't find tempered Masonite, you might consider using lauan, door skin plywood.  It comes in 1/4" thickness and may be easier to work with than Masonite.
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2019, 09:34:14 PM »
As you well know Chris, summer is the short season here in Michigan.  :( :(   So, I full agree with you, get the Chevy on the road and enjoy some cruising time.   :) :) :)

Bill

Summer arrived very late this year, and when it did, it was like somebody had flipped the "summer" switch to "on."  First it was cold & wretched, then it was hot and sunny.  I am lucky because I can wear shorts to work, most of the time.  After work, I really should do productive things, but then I remember that summer is WAY too short so I do summer things.  Like sailing tonight, shorts & t-shirt, listening to music on the boat's "hi-fi" system (see my "My Marine Hi-fi" post under Chat, with photos).  I'll be productive tomorrow, when it may rain.

Chris Campbell

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2019, 09:12:06 PM »
Today was the day for projects because rain threatened.  At the car parts place, the clerk said everybody had been in earlier to best the rain.  But it didn't actually hit until I was almost finished cleaning the old carburetor and almost ready to put it back together (of course).  While taking the carb off the Chevy, I was in the garage where the little console sits.  I found an old sheet of Masonite, not tempered but 1/8", and  held the "new" cloth of to have a look.  Wow, looks just right!  Pretty close to hat was there, and the brown tone suits the wood finish.  I measured fr size again and for placement of the holes for the speakers. Maybe tomorrow, maybe the next week I'll get it cut. I swung past the hardware store to buy some flat black paint for the new boards under the cloth.

Chris Campbell

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2019, 12:23:16 PM »
Pretty day in Michigan now, but this a.m. there was no wind so I put off going sailing.  Instead I cut the grille cloth holders, which I'm going to call baffle boards even though they aren't.  I cut them to size then cut the holes, remembering to make them mirror-image instead of identical.  Then I sanded a bit to radius the edges and gave them a couple coats of flat-black paint so they disappear under the grille cloth.  That will have to wait for next weekend.  But here are the boards, drying in the sun.

Let's see... yesterday, cleaned & reassembled carburetor.  Today, cut & painted baffle boards.  Now I deserve to go sailing.

Chris Campbell

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2019, 12:24:38 PM »
P.S. I made the holes oversize on purpose so they would step back a bit from the holes for the speakers in the console.

Chris Campbell

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2019, 01:12:40 PM »
Chris you are a multi-tasker supreme. Cut out speaker mountings, carburater cleaning, sailing,   what next.  Where do you get the motivation, and what's more, the energy ? Just reading the action-packed posts of you, Greg and Bill, to name a few, wears me out.   

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2019, 07:09:55 PM »
I'm sorta old but have found that the more I sit, the more I feel like sitting.  So I try to keep moving.  Then there was the neighbor, younger than I am, who always talked about big projects "someday."  He was going to have a sailboat someday but it had to be huge and expensive.  Then he got Parkinson's. Me, I've settled for small and now instead of huge and someday. I figure that I'd better get things accomplished now.  About ten years ago I started riding the bike to work, year round.  Nobody EVER gets out of a car and says "Wow, that drive made me feel great!"  But 2 times a day I get off the bicycle and feel better than when I started.  Plus it saves lots of short trips in the truck, which is a killer for vehicles (especially exhaust systems).  My 2005 Ranger is on its second exhaust system--in Michigan.  The other secret?  Buy a factory exhaust system from Ford, not those cut-rate places that guarantee the muffler (but not the pipes).

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2019, 11:32:55 PM »
I wonder why a 2005 vehicle does not have a stainless steel exhaust system from the factory.  My 2004 Pontiac and the old Tahoe both have stainless exhaust systems.  Maybe Ford did not use stainless systems like GM did.
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.