Author Topic: Another orphan followed me home  (Read 11075 times)

TC Chris

• View Profile
Another orphan followed me home
« on: May 12, 2019, 09:55:17 PM »
I was driving back to my Mom's house today and about a block away I passed a small console at curbside. Rain was just starting.  It has no grille cloth and the cones of both speakers were torn out, but it had a nice walnut-veneer cabinet.  I hit the brakes, backed up, and took a peek. It had a V-M changer inside and the electronics--"Homemark."  So I knocked on the door, verified it was out for the taking, slid it onto the tailgate of the truck, and continued on.  At the house I popped the back off and looked.  It's on one chassis, with a separate chassis for the FM multiplex decoder.  It's a single-ended amp, 50C5 each channel, minuscule output transformers, and one larger transformer (power?).  The tubes are branded ITT and Madison Fielding.  The cord for the interlock was inside the back cover when I unscrewed it.  Here are some photos.  Not a high-end unit, to be sure, but the walnut veneers and finish are in very good condition.  Here are a few photos.  The card on the turntable says "Zenith."  ?????

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
Re: Another orphan followed me home
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 11:06:40 PM »
I don't see anything on that brand in Sams.  That little stereo is cute as it can be.  Good for you for saving it.  Put a set of speakers in it and see what it will do.  It might surprise you.  It ain't a Concert Grand, but you can have fun with it.  Keep us updated on progress.  Good luck!
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 06:48:55 AM »
I love things that are FREE!   Nice find, and like Greg said, add speakers and stir.  You might be surprised.   :)

Bill

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 08:06:18 AM »
The key words here, apparently, are "Madison Fielding".  It is possible they built this little stereo.  I have never heard of the company, but it is the real thing!  You may have a gem on your hands.  The knobs on this little stereo are like the ones on the amps they sell.

http://www.audiocircuit.com/Home-Audio/Madison---Fielding

There are several schematics for Madison Fielding listed in Sams, from 1958 to 1963.  This may open up some more discussion....... ;) :) :-\

Look what my new friend, Mr. Google found for me......

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=madison+fielding+console&qpvt=madison+fielding+console&form=IGRE&first=1&cw=1129&ch=489

Chris, you console is there!   :) :) :) :)  It may not be an orphan any more.

My wife swears she has heard the brand "Home Mark" before.  Probably a hardware store or something like that.

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 08:57:50 AM »
I think I see a stereo decoder chassis in the last picture..
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 05:27:55 PM »

Look what my new friend, Mr. Google found for me......

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=madison+fielding+console&qpvt=madison+fielding+console&form=IGRE&first=1&cw=1129&ch=489

3rd row down, middle photo--that's mine, but with grille cloth.  I'll send more photos later.  Found some surprises inside--a neon-bulb 120 VA tester, a 4-wrench "GE Tubes" socket wrench, another Zenith tag.

Chris Campbell

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 05:28:35 PM »
I think I see a stereo decoder chassis in the last picture..

Yeah, the little two-tube chassis down in the bottom.

Chris Campbell

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 10:57:13 PM »
I just followed up on that console image that matched mine from Greg's search.  Here's the eBay link:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Madison-Fielding-Stereophonic-HiFi-Console-360-/282920913575

It's exactly the same device under the Madison-Fielding name.  V-M changer, same panel layout, same little speakers, same tuner/amp, but lacking the multiplex unit that mine has.

I had screwed the back on again yesterday so I couldn't easily extract the broken speakers before leaving to head home, but I measured the mounting-bolt centers--4-5/8 for the little ones, 6-1/8 for the larger ones.

More pix, including the Zenith stuff that was inside. It looks a lot better (scratches not visible) in person.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 05:29:33 PM »
Are there any codes on the speakers that you can see?  You might be able to find a set of Magnavox speakers or Motorola "Golden Voice" speakers on the bay that would make your stereo sing again.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 08:22:19 PM »
The little console is 145 miles away from where I'm sitting.  The reason I could snag it from curbside is that it was 1/2 block from my mother's house, and her garage (the one with the Chevy sitting in it) usually can be compacted enough for just one more device. 

For my Heath console, living in my garage here at home,, I bought speakers (10" woofer, little tweeters) from Parts Express when their Daytons were on sale.  I wanted rubber-surround speakers and not foam-surround.  What experience have others had with that brand?  Maybe I can have a look-see next weekend. 

This past weekend had all extra time consumed by a sump pump dilemma at my mother's house.  Pump was running but not removing water.  Replace with backup pump, and it worked--until I went back and found that pump running without moving water.  Replaced exhaust hose with a backup, and it worked--until I went back and found it running without moving water.  Ran a garden house through each section of exhaust hose--no blockage.  Put hose in place and the pump worked fine--for one cycle.  Then it ran without moving water. After tracking down each other possible source of failure, it finally turned out to be a faulty foot valve--the last thing I looked at.  @#$*&!!!  Isn't that the usual way we find problems?

Chris Campbell 

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 10:11:58 PM »
I bought out the remaining speaker supply in a Radio Shack store in Mesa, AZ 20 years ago.  I haven't bought a speaker since then.  I have a whole wall covered in speakers I have taken out of different devices.  I can't advise you about Parts Express speakers.

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2019, 08:23:14 PM »
I can usually find whatever speaker I might need, for not a lot of dough on CL or it's ilk.

-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2019, 04:47:14 PM »
Cute little bugger!  Love me those mini-consoles.

I had a Madison Fielding 360 stereo amp not long ago, it was quite impressive actually. Sold it on through antiqueradios.com after I was done playing with it.

Interestingly M-F was started and run by Len Feldman... does that name sound familiar?
He was a prolific electronics writer later on for Pop Electronics or one of the other biggies, I remember seeing his byline quite often back then.  He started out working for Avery Fisher and with Fisher's encouragement and help went out on his own for a few years to start M-F and also sold some as a private label mfr, but being a pretty tough business he later moved on to writing and was quite well known through that pursuit.

I have a pr of Dayton small bookshelf speakers I bought about a yr ago when on sale for the grand sum of something like $45. They are actually quite respectable, I use 'em in my office with a low power tube receiver and CD, but now you can buy them with optional AMTs (air-motion transformers) like the old ESS speakers had, instead of soft-dome tweeters, for a king's ransom of $60 or so! They're pretty hot on the top end but good with tube amps!
Happy Motoring! from Roger in NY

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2019, 08:46:01 PM »
My exploration so far has been limited, but the first inspection revealed that it wasn't as cheap-looking in electronic chassis construction as the typical low-end model--but gee, those tiny speakers!  I may take a couple small speakers along to connect up and see if the device makes noise, this weekend.  On first inspection I assumed it was a non-transformer set because of the output tubes, two 50C5s.  So the filaments are series-string, but there's a large transformer on the back of the chassis from the two little OPTs (hard to see in my photos because of the changer in the way).  Maybe the filaments are series but the B+ is transformer-supplied?  Has anybody ever seen a device like that?

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2019, 10:53:55 PM »
A schematic for the amplifier would be the surest way of telling what kind of a setup it has.  I saw the schematic for an RCA three channel stereo that had the tuner with a heater string and a power transformer and the amp with a power transformer.  There was a 1:1 tap on the PT that powered the 35W4 rectifier and the heater string in the tuner and a 6 volt tap for the eye tube, IF amp tube and the pilot light.  I'm thinking they powered the heater string with a transformer to isolate the string from the line.  And perhaps to help control hum.  Why the eye tube and the IF tube was powered by the 6 volt tap is anybody's guess.