Author Topic: This forum is fun  (Read 319 times)

TC Chris

• View Profile
This forum is fun
« on: May 14, 2019, 08:33:45 PM »
Just a quick note to say how much I look forward to checking in here and seeing what people are saying.  Let's face it, old electronic music devices aren't life or death, but most of what makes our lives enjoyable isn't either.  It's fun to share recent finds, or repair frustrations, or a bit of car talk.  The posts are helpful and interesting and polite.  Just by way of example, where else could I post a notice about finding somebody's old, broken-down, low-end console sitting out for the trash man and have people say "attaboy" and give some pointers.  It reflects well on all participants.

Chris Campbell

AC207

• 207-450-7299
    • View Profile
Re: This forum is fun
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 08:40:53 PM »
This is, by far, the most cordial, respectful and helpful group I've seen.  Really amazing!
An honest man's pillow is his peace of mind.

danrclem

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 09:03:26 PM »
I don't get on here as much as I should but I have to agree with you guys.  You almost never read a snide remark and I don't think I've ever read any political posts on here which I think is a good thing.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 09:24:54 PM »
Yeah... I have no idea what other contributors' politics are, and I don't much care.  Long ago I decided that if I only had friends who agreed with my political views, I'd be pretty lonely.  And even when we have differences in views on electronic repairs and which finish to use, we're polite and respectful.  It certainly makes for more interesting and useful exchanges and we should all be proud of that.  We don't even get into slugfests over Ford vs GM vs Chrysler....

The reason I always type out my whole name is that it makes me responsible for what I'm posting, and less likely to say something really stupid, like some snarky political comment or a rude disagreement over which brand of capacitor to use.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 10:04:04 PM »
I agree!   :) :)
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 04:29:25 PM »
Amen! A great place to hang out! 
Other sites I've experienced that are pretty cordial are: www.packardinfo.com  and www.automaticwasher.org  ... lots of helpful people and much sharing of useful information.
Happy Motoring! from Roger in NY

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 10:36:20 AM »
This is the only forum I belong too, and it will probably remain that way.  I'm happy here.  :) :)

Bill

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 11:09:24 AM »
This is not the only forum I'm a member of.  Being a member of other forums helps me realize how much I appreciate this one and the people who are members here.   :) :)
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

hermitcrab

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2019, 04:41:49 PM »
I was just glad to find a forum like this... it is nice to know you are not the only one hooked on collecting  Junk ... as my family calls them .... my wife puts up with it, even though she has not been in my side of the basement for years ...she would have a stroke and die if she did see what I have.... hmmmmmmm.... Honey.... can you come down here?....
Elton

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2019, 06:40:44 PM »
If you've seen my latest project, the little Home-Mark stereo, over on the tube consoles thread, consider this.  I was showing it off to my sister after the new speakers went in.  "What are you going to do with it? " she asked.  That's not exactly a question I lose much sleep over.  Or actually think about at all.  Now I do think, "Where am I going to put this," because that's the real crisis.  What I really need is a nice big room to show off all the treasures that are scattered here and there now. 

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2019, 07:43:14 PM »
The nice big room is called an addition, or moving.  ::) ;) :)  Neither sounds appealing to me at my age.  But....

Bill

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2019, 07:30:51 PM »
            I have to avoid yard sales and thrift stores like ex alcoholics have to stay out of bars and liquor stores. Lately I also have had to avoid eBay especially now that I have  learned how to use it to zero in on my favorite addictions. After seeing Bill's Motorola portable post with the GE twin fans in the background, it rekindled my sometimes dormant mania for old fans, vacuums, coffee percolators and Mixmasters, which covers most of the non-vacuum-tube stuff. I had never searched eBay for that stuff before, and sure enough, it's all out there.
          Right now I can't order anything more on eBay until I get rid of all the cardboard boxes and shipping peanuts that are covering my entire living area in the 14 X 70 home. Also I can't even make my way to the phone jack to get the DSL hooked up. Everyone that has sent me purchases so far has packed things like they had to survive going over Niagara Falls. The low ceiling (7 ft) prevents more than one level of stacking and no garage means no car projects, so far anyway.
          It is so true about this being a forum of true gentlemen. To really appreciate it, all one has to do is look at some of the other technical forums and look at some, or should I say most, of the sniping, in your face, critical posts, and they're the tame ones.  Even their avatars and quotable quotes are scary.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2019, 11:29:15 AM »
Can you say Electrolux model 30?  Don't for get trains, boats, and theater pipe organs.   ;) ;) :) :) ::)

Bill

SeniorSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2019, 03:05:36 PM »
I agree that this forum has some of the most helpful members.  I do try to add knowledge when possible, but it seems lately all I've been doing is watching and reading.  I have 3 consoles and would like to get rid of two of them as I really don't have the room.  I have a friend in Florida that found this on CL and will be bringing it when he drives up here next week.  While it isn't a "console", it comes pretty close.  I had to rotate the picture and hope it shows correctly.  The radio is from 1958.  I guess the rotation didn't "set", it looks right on the computer.

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2019, 03:43:14 PM »
I agree that this forum has some of the most helpful members.  I do try to add knowledge when possible, but it seems lately all I've been doing is watching and reading.  I have 3 consoles and would like to get rid of two of them as I really don't have the room.  I have a friend in Florida that found this on CL and will be bringing it when he drives up here next week.  While it isn't a "console", it comes pretty close.  I had to rotate the picture and hope it shows correctly.  The radio is from 1958.  I guess the rotation didn't "set", it looks right on the computer.

This, yes THIS RCA is exactly why we compulsively rescue them, as if the next stop is the dumpster. What could be more confined space-friendly than that classic, with a tuning eye no less.

I have my share of USA classics including 2 old cars and several in-use appliances, mainly to remember how great these "durable goods" were and honor the folks that designed and built them , so I hope that does not make me totally nutz :-[
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave