Author Topic: This forum is fun  (Read 1774 times)

electra225

• View Profile
Re: This forum is fun
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2019, 07:07:37 PM »
I have an old car, and old truck and an old tractor and mow with a 1989 Snapper lawn mower.  I like old stuff, you can fix it.  I have a 2015 RCA 55" flat panel TV, still in the box in my garage that needs LED strips, three of them.  100% unobtanium.  I am working on a 1962 Magnavox 27" black and white TV.  Parts are available right here on this forum.  Something about that seems backwards   ::) :-[ ;) :)
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2019, 09:32:34 PM »
I was using a 1954 Sears power mower with a Briggs & Stratton engine until about 8 years ago.  Then either a valve stuck or I simply ran out of compression from worn rings.  I stated using a modern Sears with a Tecumseh engine.  Broke the crankshaft twice and figured "fool me once...."  If I ever retire I'm gonna disassemble that 1954 B&S and see whats up.  It's a small mower and a delight to push.

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2019, 06:40:40 PM »
Not nutz at all Dave!  And the RCA big radio is some find.  I read about those a while back.  Very impressive, great performers. 

Bill

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2019, 05:37:06 PM »
      Well, speaking of "having connections" in rescuing old chassis and older electronics...

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2019, 05:44:43 PM »
        that's the second or third time this has happened.  I used several repeating periods to indicate a pause and everything I typed after that is truncated !!  Even in PMs.

I was saying that my nephew now works for a company that owns rental storage units and he set aside a Hallicrafters S38 D or E for me, all tubes, maybe early 60s.

So now I probably have a secret army of friends and relatives always looking, looking for the kind of stuff they know I can't resist. It's not enough to avoid yard sales, thrift stores, and neighborhoods on bulk pick-up days.  It is what it is a and what's meant to be will be.

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2019, 09:57:11 PM »
I keep and use several older appliances.  I have just had the furnace/ A/C unit replaced on my 1970 Rheem HVAC system.  I have a Sunbeam radiant control toaster that's both fun to watch and use, 2 old Aladdin kerosene mantle lamps and an older Aladdin kerosene heater.   
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2019, 09:19:00 AM »
          BTW, speaking of old appliances and cross-addictions, and especially with Greg's ST restoration saga reminding us all that Magnavox made some real masterpieces of audio visual entertainment centers,  and today being the 50th anniversary of men walking on the moon and most of us perhaps being old enough to remember-  what TV were you all watching that fateful July evening ??   I was watching an RCA "roundie"  21 inch color TV with a metal cabinet and spindly angled long legs that made it look like a Sputnik ironically. I don't think we changed channels, for hours, we were watching Walter Cronkite on CBS channel 2 WMAR  Baltimore. Stu Kerr's familiar voice on the local station announcements (he was also Professer Kool on our local TV kiddie show)
         A copy of the Westinghouse-built TV camera that went to the moon and took the video is at the Historical Electronics Museum near Baltimore's Thurgood Marshall Airport. I think Firedome has mentioned that camera ? Walter Cronkite even mentioned that the CBS field-sequential color system that was turned down in favor of RCA's compatible color system in the early 50s, was used in this camera.
        I wonder how many kids today even know that the moon orbits the earth  They probably think that the Apollo 11 crew used their cell phones to keep in touch with Houston and  GPS to guide them in their orbit. I know that a friends teenage son with a Fender Blues deVille guitar amp asked me if he could just "unscrew the old 6L6's and screw in the new ones" to install new tubes without my help.     

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2019, 09:28:44 AM »
We bought our first color TV in 1971 (RCA XL-100) so we probably watched the moon landing on the old RCA 6-T-84 my grandparents bought new.  All the TV's I've ever owned with the exception of a Visio flat panel and my Magnavox ST have been RCA's.
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2019, 11:07:48 AM »
My grandparents inherited my great aunts' RCA color set she got in 1958.  She just about destroyed the alignment controls trying to get all the shows then to come in in color.  Poor Neil had a couple of rainbow lightning bolts coming off his gloves on our set during the proceedings.

Here is what the set looked like before someone robbed the knobs from this one.
https://historyrat.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/images.jpg?w=620
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2019, 06:30:22 PM »
A ca. 1950 Crosley table model, one that came with the summer cottage.  It has continuous tuning, like the old Dumonts.  Still have it in the collection.

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2019, 07:27:34 AM »
We watched it on an RCA roundie, that my parents purchased used from the doctor that brought me into this world.  :)   He had to have the latest and greatest, so about every two years he had a new set.   If I remember correctly, my parents purchased it in 1965 or 1966. 

Bill