Author Topic: New from florida  (Read 967 times)

Bill

• View Profile
Re: New from florida
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2019, 04:06:13 PM »
My most expensive console was my Magnavox Berkshire.  I paid $110.00 for it, and worth every penny.  I love that thing!  :)

Bill

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2019, 10:57:50 PM »
Good job on the $149 Concert Grand.  That's a little less than I paid for mine, but not much.  I like the $30 offer for the old GE.  The thing is in really nice shape.  You could replace the old 78-only changer with a BSR bridged for mono and have a nice piece of equipment.  Like has been mentioned, these are easy to fix and good players when they are right. 
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2019, 08:16:01 AM »
When it comes to GE, who used better caps than RCA or Philco, they often function as found  ;) or with just the power supply filter capacitors replaced first. As I get older, Im afraid to power up anything original without doing this first.

BTW - My most expensive console was one I got myself for a 50th birthday, the Motorola Stereophonic SKR-151. Right nearby work, I saw it on craigslist JUST after I saw the console's ad in a 1964 National Geographic, and that started all the acquisition madness. 
The '48 Maggie Windsor by Drexel (minus the TV part) was free but I deeply restored a 41-290 Philco console in exchange for it. Still haven't worked on them, as I have been trying to get good by pacticing on all the other stuff first. ::)
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2019, 09:12:46 AM »
I have found that GE filter caps from the early '60's on are almost always severely leaky or even shorted.  I try not to plug a GE stereo in to power before I replace the filter caps.  Even the little clock radios from GE have hummy output from leaky filter caps.  When did GE's component quality take such a nosedive?
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2019, 08:23:42 AM »
GE had something for every price range in the 1960s, their more expensive stuff was good enough, then competition got intense especially with audio. The Decatur, Ill plant made the better consoles and Utica audio division made the radios and portable players.Bet they closed as knock-off sets from Hong Kong stuff and even Soundesign, Sanyo and Panasonic began dumping low-end audio product on us.

The initial affordable color TV was the 1966 porta color, same year as GE introduced their own regular size color set chassis, not based on RCA. The shop I worked in 1978 sold mainly GE and Magnavox, both very serviceable at the time. NAP bought Magnavox in 1974 and the TV's actually improved. My 1978 Mag lasted for 18 years, moving four times, after replacing the 25V crt of course.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2019, 09:00:56 PM »
On the subject of prices, I've only paid for one radio-phono console, a Philco 46-1213 that I bought at an estate sale when I was in high school (i.e., VERY long ago).  It was $25 and was working--AM/FM/SW plus phono.  I'm pretty sure the record changer was replaced by  a later Philco 3-speed model.  This came from a wealthy family and they probably called the dealer and said "get me a 3-speed modern device."  All the rest have either been inherited or found at curbside.

Chris Campbell