Author Topic: New from florida  (Read 327 times)

Bill

• View Profile
Re: New from florida
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2019, 04:06:13 PM »
My most expensive console was my Magnavox Berkshire.  I paid $110.00 for it, and worth every penny.  I love that thing!  :)

Bill

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2019, 10:57:50 PM »
Good job on the $149 Concert Grand.  That's a little less than I paid for mine, but not much.  I like the $30 offer for the old GE.  The thing is in really nice shape.  You could replace the old 78-only changer with a BSR bridged for mono and have a nice piece of equipment.  Like has been mentioned, these are easy to fix and good players when they are right. 
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2019, 08:16:01 AM »
When it comes to GE, who used better caps than RCA or Philco, they often function as found  ;) or with just the power supply filter capacitors replaced first. As I get older, Im afraid to power up anything original without doing this first.

BTW - My most expensive console was one I got myself for a 50th birthday, the Motorola Stereophonic SKR-151. Right nearby work, I saw it on craigslist JUST after I saw the console's ad in a 1964 National Geographic, and that started all the acquisition madness. 
The '48 Maggie Windsor by Drexel (minus the TV part) was free but I deeply restored a 41-290 Philco console in exchange for it. Still haven't worked on them, as I have been trying to get good by pacticing on all the other stuff first. ::)
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2019, 09:12:46 AM »
I have found that GE filter caps from the early '60's on are almost always severely leaky or even shorted.  I try not to plug a GE stereo in to power before I replace the filter caps.  Even the little clock radios from GE have hummy output from leaky filter caps.  When did GE's component quality take such a nosedive?
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.