Author Topic: Webcor 1024  (Read 4889 times)

boles4357

• View Profile
Webcor 1024
« on: May 29, 2019, 08:49:40 PM »
Hello everyone- Be gentle, this is my first post. I want to get my Webcor in proper working condition. Where is the best place to find a manual? I have replaced the needle with a KCCA from the voice of music. Initially, the platter turned, but now it does nothing. The unit does still power up and the needle works. This is all new to me, but excited to learn and get into a new hobby. And I have read the caps need to be changed, once I figure out what those look like, I'll order them and replace. Also understand it needs to be torn down, cleaned and re-lubed.

I did not see a manual in the download section, but from what I understand, like today, parts might appear in different brands. The only # I could locate on the changer was 45P1548-1.

Thanks,
 Brad

TC Chris

• View Profile
Re: Webcor 1024
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 09:25:31 PM »
The record changer, the one mechanical portion of your device, has two issues.  One is lubrication.  The motor and the record-changing mechanism both need to be lubed--and at least in the case of the changing parts, cleaning first t get old grease out (solvents are required). The motor bearings often need oil and the usual recommendation is the long-spout "turbine oil" from the hardware store. I've always had pretty good luck taking things apart by examining them, but others prefer to use service manuals.  I'll bet we've got some Webcor data in the "downloads" section (top of the page). 

The other issue is friction.  The motor drives an idler wheel--a rubber tired wheel--that turns the platter inside the rim.  The rubber gets old and dry and loses its grip.  The V-M guy may have the right one for your changer. To revive an old one, I've removed the idler and held it against a moving sanding belt, with a nail or something as an axle.  Hold it at a slight angle and it will rotate while grinding off some of the old surface.  That may suffice temporarily.

Maybe that will get you started.   Me, I'd make sure the motor is rotating freely first, the maybe examine the idler wheel next, and clean the wheel and inside of the platter with some alcohol.  If you're really lucky, that may work enough to hold you over.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 11:05:56 PM »
Welcome aboard!   :)
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 10:38:51 AM »
Brad!

Do everything that Chris said, and if yours is like mine it will need motor mounts as well.  You also should not attempt to play it until you do a recap.  You could do damage to other components. 

If you look under downloads in this forum, top of the login page, and go to Magnavox, then changers, you will find Webster changers listed.  I have not looked to see if my/your model number is there, but if it is you will a reference to go by. 

Once you have the amp pulled, and take some photos, we will be able to help you identify the capacitors. It will also help if you have a schematic of the amp.  You might ask here on the forum if anyone has it, or your can try Steve here:

https://theschematicman.com/

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Bill

HiFiFun

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 11:37:04 PM »
Your Webcor 1024 chassis can be found in Sams
Photofact 203-16 from circa 1953.

Record changer in Sams references Webcor model 114,
basic design in Sams 206-12, ca 1953.

It has a string heater circuit, very common 3 tube line up.
It does not have a power transformer.

Also recommend you test the tubes.
If you don't have a tester, check for a local vintage/antique
radio club in your area. The members will have a tester.

You will want to review the basic safety rules for working
on high-voltage electronics (electrolytic capacitors as example)

May I suggest Phil's website for lots of good general info
on vintage tube circuits.
You can select whatever section you wish to learn about.
Though his website deals with radios & TV's, they too have
an audio amplifier circuit, such as in your Webcor.
Take plenty of reference photos before and as you
proceed through the electrical service.

https://antiqueradio.org/begin.htm

The chassis photo in Sams looks a bit crowded, but this
would still be a good starter hi-fi.
One good thing is that modern replacement capacitors will
be a good deal smaller in size.

Send me a PM with email, if you want the files.
I don't have time to upload here right now.
HFF

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 10:06:54 AM »
Thanks for chiming in HFF.  You are suggesting things I always forget, like the safety part for a newbie.  :-[  If Brad reads and studies before he starts this hobby he will do just fine.   :) :)

Bill

boles4357

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2019, 07:16:28 PM »
Thank you all for the advice, I started a tear down last night just so I could tell what I was dealing with- and I took pictures before disassembly. Did find the manual for the record changer in the downloads section, the schematic was in the bottom of the case (still learning how to read them). That's a nice thing to find.

Here is my plan, replace the caps first. Then order motor mounts, idler (hard and dry), then clean and re-lube.

Can I ask for help identifying one part? I figured out from the information on Phil's website how to identify the caps. About to order new ones. The big yellow ones in the attached pictures are easy. Is the black stripped fella also a cap? .047mfd?

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2019, 10:27:09 PM »
The black cap is indeed a capacitor, one notorious for being failure-prone.  You'll need to do a quick Google search for the color code that shows value, voltage, and tolerance (tolerance doesn't mater much now).  By the way, I'm told that some guitar-amp builders love those bad ones because of the distortion they add.  Save it and offer it on eBay??

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2019, 02:44:06 PM »
Well, I'm bad, and wrong again.  I thought we had the same unit.  :-[   I just looked at your schematic, saw your tubes, I realized that our amps are different.  My uses different tubes, and I'm not sure what else will be different.  The cabinet/case is the same but mine is model 262-1.  :-[   The changers look the same too.  I guess I need to pull my changer and check it's model number.  :-[ :-[ 

You should have fun, and this will be a good starter for you to cut your teeth on.  Good Luck!

Bill

boles4357

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2019, 07:42:32 PM »
I'm in the process of replacing the capacitors but have a question on the multi-section cap. Still fuzzy on reading the schematic, it does not show the positive like many examples I have reviewed. When replacing with 3 modern replacements of the correct mfd and voltage, the common ground- black, positive side of replacement caps go out to the individual red, blue, and red wires? Would it be considered bad form to add shrink tubing to the soldered wires to prevent contact?

Thanks,
 Brad

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2019, 08:03:50 PM »
Yeah, tie all three negative sides together and they go to the old black one.  The three positives go to the red, red, and blue.  It's very good practice to use some form of insulation on the bare wires of the replacements for the reason you cite.  You could also cut the old cap's wires off right at the old cap, so they are long, and solder them close to the new cap.  That would preserve some color coding and provide insulation.

Chris Campbell

boles4357

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2019, 06:41:07 PM »
Cool, thanks!