Author Topic: What did I find today at the second hand store? A Pilot?  (Read 265 times)

Imperial8

• Newbie Owner: Magnavox Tube Console.
    • View Profile
What did I find today at the second hand store? A Pilot?
« on: May 31, 2019, 07:23:44 PM »
Today I made my monthly stop by our local second hand store.  I saw this maple finish console, so I had to take a closer look.  The label on the lower front said Pilot.  The tag on the back of the cabinet said # 5602.

But when I opened the two doors on the front I was very surprised to see what was inside.
I guess it's a high end Sylvania RS 4744 receiver?
A BSR McDonald # 510.

And last but not least a Sylvania 8 track # ET2750.  I got all of this for $15 so I had to lug it home!

What should I do with all of this stuff?  Receiver works great.  Don't know condition of the others.

G.

Imperial8

• View Profile
Re: What did I find today at the second hand store? A Pilot?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 08:10:04 PM »
Forgot to mention that the speakers are in a pair of separate boxes inside the console.
They are Pilot # S162.

G.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 10:11:53 PM »
I'll bet somebody had a Pilot console with tube innards, and decided to upgrade when tubes were out of fashion.  Seems to me that Pilot didn't transition very far into the solid-state era.  Their tube stuff was pretty good.  But Sylvania made some pretty good modern-era stuff too.  Quite a nice find for $15!!

Chris Campbell

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2019, 04:36:53 PM »
Yes Pilot consoles had speakers in a separate sort of fiber-board sealed box that was ported and well isolated from the console itself, a more sophisticated design than your average console. It also would have a Pilot Integrated 240 tube amp with tuner, a 602 tube receiver, or even better a model SA-232 (EL84) or SA-264 (EL34) basic amp and SP-210 preamp, all highly sought after components, particularly the separates. The last owner hopefully knew how good those were and didn't just chuck them for a mediocre Sylvania SS receiver!
Happy Motoring! from Roger in NY

SeniorSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2019, 05:43:00 PM »
I have a Sylvania RS4744 receiver and can tell you they are very high quality.  I bought mine new in 1977 or thereabouts.  Recently did a recap and am amazed at how nice the thing sounds.

Imperial8

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2019, 07:10:17 PM »
Thanks everyone for your comments.

The main reason I purchased this whole console was to get the Sylvania receiver to replace our Marantz 2230 while we get it repaired.  The left channel quit.
The store would not sell just the receiver, I had to buy the whole big, heavy console.

I know nothing about the Pilot brand, but the console does have the Pilot logo on it and it has a Pilot Light just under the front center of the cabinet.

Okay, so I removed the Sylvania receiver and put it in the house and hooked it to our old Klipsch mid size speakers and it's playing nicely.  Inside the Pilot cabinet I can see where the old Pilot unit must have been mounted to the wood plate.

And yes those Pilot speakers are wrapped in a fiber covering and they sit on a fiber insulator in the cabinet.
I know they work because the store had this unit running when I looked at it.  But I have no idea what the speaker configuration is in each of those boxes.

So, what should I do?
I just don't have room to keep that console sitting around at our house.  Should I try to sell what's left of the cabinet and hardware as a complete unit?
Or should I dismantle the main parts and sell them to the people looking for those pieces?

I guess without the original Pilot Hardware in this cabinet it doesn't have much value to anyone?

G.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2019, 02:19:57 PM »
First let me say, I too have had several pieces of Sylvania over the years and never had any trouble with them, and they sounded great. 

At one point in my life, now that I'm into this hobby I regret some of my choices,  I had a Pilot like yours.  This is one of my regrets.  :(  It was a great sounding unit.  The speakers are 3 way. 12" woofer, midrange, and tweeter.  402 Pilot receiver, and Garrard changer.  I'm kind of guessing here, but I'm thinking Pilot had a contract with a furniture company to build their cabinets.  Then they just mounted the components, and it was a done deal.  The cabinets, were nice pieces of furniture, and very heavy.  If anyone has other thoughts please chime in. 

As far as keeping it, parting it out, keeping it whole.  I would keep it whole, and here's why.  I purchased a Stromberg Carlson unit this past winter.  The cabinet had a tag on the back that said: Cabinet by Stromberg Carlson.  What was on the inside, was not Stromberg Carlson.   Someone had upgraded the components to something more modern from the sixties.  Still all high quality stuff, just not SC.   I decided to purchase the unit for the components, not the cabinet.  So now I have a cabinet on my hands.  Fortunately, Electra 225 (he's a member on the forum) and I were talking and I mentioned what I had purchased.   He made some inquires about the cabinet and decided that he had the guts that would fit this cabinet.  He had purchased his SC several years ago.  It had gotten wet, and termites had decided to have lunch in the cabinet. Needless to say the cabinet was junk.  He hung on to the SC components in hopes that someday he would find a cabinet.   He did, and now his SC components have a new home.  He posted a thread on the forum that tells more of the story.  So, long story short.  Somewhere, someone, with a Pilot receiver, will want your Pilot cabinet complete with speakers.  Please do not part it out, or junk it.  If nothing else, list it here on the forum.  Someone may be looking for just what you have.  ;) :)  Photos to follow:

Bill

Check this out as well!
https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/pilot-402-amplifier-info.299267/

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2019, 04:43:27 PM »
Sylvania SS receivers are perfectly fine. Pilot consoles tended to be above average, the tube models had components that are sought after now and were competitive with Fisher, and as mentioned they went above and beyond for a console on their speaker designs/specs, not just mounted on a front panel in an unsealed compartment like many did. If the furniture is nice I'd keep it intact. If you wanted to make it "whole" Pilot 602 or 402 receivers are often on eBay and not priced too terribly high compared to Fisher, Scott and the like:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pilot-602S-Stereo-Receiver-Am-Fm-Tube-Amplifier-Vintage-El84-12ax7-Works-Video/123690092744?hash=item1ccc8108c8:g:X~4AAOSwi49bKEJA
Happy Motoring! from Roger in NY

Imperial8

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2019, 09:19:35 PM »
Bill-

Those photos look exactly like the Pilot cabinet I have.  I believe its Maple finish in an Early American style.

I am deciding what to do with the cabinet / speakers.  Right now its sitting in the garage, I have no room to keep it in the house.
So maybe I will need to sometime soon list the cabinet / speakers as a unit and sell it whole.  No equipment included in the cabinet.

I would hope to find a local buyer within a reasonable distance for delivery.

G.

chazglenn3

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2019, 11:41:48 PM »
I ran out of room in the house, so my Sylvania console is my garage system. It's nice to play music or listen to a ball game while working on the car or motorcycle. Just saying, it might be nice to have in the garage...
Charles
USAF Veteran

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2019, 12:31:05 AM »

I am deciding what to do with the cabinet / speakers.  Right now its sitting in the garage, I have no room to keep it in the house.
So maybe I will need to sometime soon list the cabinet / speakers as a unit and sell it whole.  No equipment included in the cabinet.

One option would be to find vintage Pilot electronics online, as others have suggested, then re-stuff the console and sell it as working unit.

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2019, 06:27:49 AM »
G!   All of the suggestions are good ones, and I truly regret selling mine years ago.  It was a great sound, and a very well built unit.  At the time, I was getting ready to move and needed to clean house.  Lots of things went during that time.   :( :(  But, old habits die hard, and now that I actually have vintage electronics as a hobby I'm accumulating new interesting toys.  ;) ;) :) :) ::) ::) :o :o

Bill

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2019, 06:09:04 PM »
Well, Bill, maybe you should add this Pilot console to your toybox and restuff it!  It ought to sound really good with its carefully-designed speaker system.

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2019, 06:45:42 AM »
Thanks Chris!  If I lived just around the corner I might consider it.   :)

Bill

Imperial8

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2019, 02:00:14 PM »
Okay all,

Here is your chance if you want to buy one of these.  Just posted an add here on the forum today.

$99.  Local Pickup only.

G.