Author Topic: Knight KN520 Console, $100 OBO, Aurora, In.  (Read 142 times)

Bill

• View Profile
Re: Knight KN520 Console, $100 OBO, Aurora, In.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 08:45:17 PM »
Nice looking, I never knew Knight did consoles.

Bill

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 09:08:49 PM »
A little while back I posted a photo of my Knight-Kit R to R tape deck.  Their catalog offered the tape transport, and the record-play preamp kit, and the carrying case that would accommodate both, all as separate items.  The console was probably the same.  Pick your record changer, pick your speakers, pick your amp, and then buy a console to put them in.  I've got some old Knight catalogs out in the garage.  I'l try to dig them out and have a look.

Chris Campbell

Alfista

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 11:19:36 PM »
Neat. I have a pair of Knight 8" full-range speakers that I bought at Goodwill because the cabinets looked cool.

The imaging was always skewed to one side, so I finally opened them up and found one of the 8's was a dual cone and the other side was a single cone. I have no idea which one was correct. If they're in you catalog, Chris, I'd be interested to see the offerings.
-Tim

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 11:54:12 PM »
I have a fairly good idea of which box they're in, out there in my all-American style garage (truck sits outside, collected stuff lives inside).  If it's raining tomorrow I'll try to track them down.  What's the speaker model no.?

Chris Campbell

Alfista

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 06:45:55 AM »
KN-3002  Small bass reflex cabinet
-Tim

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 08:48:33 PM »
No luck in the console in my 1961, '62, or '69 catalogs--no matching amp, no similar cabinet, no Collaro changers.  It may have been a bit later in the mid-'60s.

But I do find the Allied 3002 two-way speaker with 8" and 2-1/2" speakers.  The drawing does not show a whizzer cone and the description does not mention one,  either.  It sold for $24.95.

Chris Campbell

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 08:57:36 PM »
One more reply.  The Knight catalogs are full of cool components from various high-end manufacturers--amps, tuners, changers and turntables, cartridges, tape decks, speakers, enclosures, consoles.  Then there's a just a wealth of electronic components--tubes, caps, resistors, transformers, chokes, coils, bare chassis and enclosures, on and on.  PA equipment.  Oh my.  And in the 1957 catalog,  the Knight-Kit Space-Spanner, this being the very catalog from which my Dad ordered a Space-Spanner that we built together.  It's a little three tube regenerative AM-SW radio--and one of those tubes is the rectifier!  Another is the audio output--so that means it's got one tube doing RF duties.  OK, it's a dual triode, but half of it is doing audio.

Chris Campbell

Alfista

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2019, 10:13:41 AM »
Chris, the Space-Spanner memory is priceless.

But I do find the Allied 3002 two-way speaker with 8" and 2-1/2" speakers.  The drawing does not show a whizzer cone and the description does not mention one,  either.  It sold for $24.95.

Thanks for looking,

At the risk of staying off-topic too long... Here are some photos of the Knight KN-3002 in case anyone is curious about these, or if anyone is googling for information down the road. I found little to nothing about them, so anything may be helpful to others. The silver Quam dual cone is not original as confirmed by Chris' catalog. The black alnico woofer is likely original, and there were no EIC codes or identifying marks on the speaker frame. The Jensen tweeters are likely originals, too. I don't have crossover details, it was simply a cap on the tweeters while the woofers ran full range.

I used these to demonstrate soundstage width to my wife, who has no interest in this stuff beyond asthetics. With her sitting in the sweet spot, I asked her to close her eyes and point to Bela Fleck's banjo. When she opened her eyes, she was amazed to see she was pointing a good five feet past the speaker. She began to see why I find this interesting. Not that she cares, mind you, but at least she could see there's more going on than meets the eye.
-Tim