Author Topic: Sickness Strikes again RCA VLT 17W  (Read 156 times)

hermitcrab

• View Profile
Sickness Strikes again RCA VLT 17W
« on: June 24, 2019, 01:35:23 PM »
Today found a small RCA sitting at the curb... has obviously been there as the particle board was all swelled up but it was complete... so as if I needed more junk , I picked it up , when I got home , I plugged it in and to my surprise everything works...my plan is to strip all the components out of it as the cabinet... as it is cheap particle board with contact paper simulated wood, and maybe make my own cabinet ... have not got out the table saw in a few years... might make a interesting project.. this looks to be a late 70's or early 80's set ... any idea what year a VLT 17 would be?
Thanks
Elton

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
Re: Sickness Strikes again RCA VLT 17W
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 04:21:04 PM »
Today found a small RCA sitting at the curb... has obviously been there as the particle board was all swelled up but it was complete... so as if I needed more junk , I picked it up , when I got home , I plugged it in and to my surprise everything works...my plan is to strip all the components out of it as the cabinet... as it is cheap particle board with contact paper simulated wood, and maybe make my own cabinet ... have not got out the table saw in a few years... might make a interesting project.. this looks to be a late 70's or early 80's set ... any idea what year a VLT 17 would be?
Thanks

I bet its an inexpensive 1969 model (L=1969) , and like a Magnavox or Zenith in the same price range, work as found making them an overlooked option to a huge recapping of a more expensive model, always need more of the caps replaced and sound poor until you do something with them. Maybe somebody replaced a few in this RCA, they usually hummed as found, still an easy fix. Those orange firecracker caps died early, I recall. Maybe find a heavy credenza and box out some speakers and a phono drawer in it. 
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 04:32:13 PM »
Did not meant to bump the other thread but I think its a 1967 brochure I have. I worked on one recently that maybe like yours, all one chassis with the power transformer on the floor of the wet flaky box its in.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

hermitcrab

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 09:25:54 PM »
Yep ... the power transformer sits on the bottom by its lonesome ... everything else is in the radio chassis ... unfortunately the original cartridge is gone ... so I guess I will be talking with Gary at VM soon...lol
Elton