Author Topic: WANTED: KLH tweeter  (Read 5086 times)

TC Chris

• View Profile
WANTED: KLH tweeter
« on: July 03, 2019, 11:14:10 PM »
I'll just plant this idea here in case somebody runs across an old KLH Model 17--or 22, or almost any of the other 1960s smaller KLH speakers. It's a cone speaker, about 4" as I recall.  One of my Model 17s lost its tweeter to a lower-powered amp driven into clipping (live and learn; it's too little power, not too much, that burns up speakers).  Pre-internet, I replaced it with a similar-sized tweet, hoping for the best.  On white or pink noise, I can hear a difference.  I need to bring these nice old speakers out of retirement.

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
Re: WANTED: KLH tweeter
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 08:10:55 AM »
Chris!  I do not have a speaker for you, sorry, but I have always wanted a pair of KLH speakers.  I do have a KLH FM tuner.  Model 18.  I purchased it for my mother back in 1966 as a Christmas gift.  At the time I had put together a component system for her to listen to records on.  I thought the tuner would be a nice addition, which it was, but it lead to a huge FM antenna on the TV antenna towner to get the station she wanted.  It was worth it, because Mom was happy.

Bill

chazglenn3

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 10:13:00 AM »
These are likely too expensive, but I thought you should at least know they are there:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Klh-17-22-33-Tweeter/183847357203?hash=item2ace280b13:g:5iIAAOSw7J1dAx-v
Charles
USAF Veteran

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 10:49:33 AM »
That kind of price is why I posted an inquiry here.  I figured that maybe somebody would stumble across an old KLH speaker if I planted the idea. 

Bill, I've got these 17s that I bought used in 1966, and a pair of 22s in my little summer cottage that I found used (nails holding one grille cloth on) a couple decades back. One big advantage is that they use cloth surrounds, not foam.  But the cloth is doped with some sort of goo, and apparently it needs to be renewed to keep the surround air-tight.  I bought a full complement of caps to replace the originals in the crossover for the 17s but haven't installed them yet.

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2019, 01:08:52 PM »
I have always liked the sound of a KLH system.  Big sound for something so compact.  ;) :)

Bill