Author Topic: I bought some more records.....  (Read 2026 times)

Alfista

• View Profile
Re: I bought some more records.....
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2019, 09:16:15 PM »
That's a good one, 1955?

My father's a huge Garner fan and that album was always close to the turntable. A barge of a console, probably Zenith. I can't recall, but one day it'll be mine if I can hire a couple gorillas to bring it down the stairs. I need to get some pics of it and share its little background story.

I was looking for Billy Vaughn LP's in my stash, but we lost our electricity to a storm. Too hot in there with no air flow. But I can still post, maybe there is a positive to these smart phones after all.
-Tim

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2019, 09:37:23 PM »
Listed as 1955, and apparently a big hit with fans and critics.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concert_by_the_Sea

My theory is buy now, listen and grin or regret later.

Chris Campbell

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2019, 03:24:38 PM »
As much as I love most 1946-1970 electronics and record players, I like later music notably Classic rock and Mo-town/Philly soul. Blame this region I guess. 

That is due to my age and what I recall hearing on AM as a kid that spent lots of time in the car. The culture war never interested me much, so I liked elevator music as much as top 40 as much as country/western. My folks had classic, instrumental and soundtrack albums that my brother and I played on the Dual 1009 and Scott Stereomaster. The GE "swinger" portable in my room was just for the 45s of what we bought.

While I can play just about anything mentioned in this forum and like it, even just discovering it, I prefer to play on a console what was popular at the time it was new. One of my perfect matches is Henry Mancini's "Days of Wine and Roses" on a '63 Motorola - exact version notwithstanding, it brings chills.

I will never pretend to be a record or music expert but I know this is a safe place to share this. Thanks
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2019, 04:11:44 PM »
Billy Vaughn, Ray Conniff, Henry Mancini records are all pretty rare around here.  I'm not a huge Ran Conniff fan, but I have an extended play 45 with the Ray Conniff Singers doing "Just Walking In The Rain".  Good stuff.   :) :)

Everybody over 50 has a copy of the Henry Mancini "Pink Panther" album, don't they?   ;) ;) :) ::)
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2019, 08:05:53 PM »
The culture war never interested me much, so I liked elevator music as much as top 40 as much as country/western. My folks had classic, instrumental and soundtrack albums that my brother and I played on the Dual 1009 and Scott Stereomaster.

Duke Ellington said "If it sounds good, it is good."  Probably 90% of my listening is to classical music, but I melt when I hear Patsy Cline sing anything, or Ernest Tubb sing "Waltz Across Texas," or most of Rodgers & Hammerstein, or Ray Charles.  I can remember exactly where I was when I first heard a Howlin' Wolf record.  The volume goes up for Jerry Lee Lewis or James Brown.  Then there's Thelonious Monk.  Count Basie. I have weaknesses for Lester Young, Coleman Hawkins, Charlie Parker, John Coltrane.  I couldn't sing along with Ian Tyson's "Four Strong Winds" because I choke up about four words in.  Then there's Utah Phillips and Rosalie Sorrels.  The late '60s blues/rock group Cream taught me to listen to extended pieces and for musicians playing against each other's lines. The point is to have open ears and listen to anything that catches your fancy.  It will lead you onward.  The only place I can't be led is into "new age" music, which my public radio station plays from 10 to 11 pm each night.  It's basically elevator music without the imagination.  It gives me an hour each night to put a CD or LP on.  I may have learned to have open ears from playing trombone in the high school band.  It was the best hour of the day, making music, stuff I never would have heard unless Mr. Cramer, our kind and patient teacher, got us to play it.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2019, 10:05:02 PM »
I wish I could get into classical music.  I'm not smart enough to understand it. 
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2019, 11:37:15 PM »
I don't understand it, certainly in terms of technical details, but lots of listening has converted me.  What's interesting is that the pieces  that drew me in because they were accessible (Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue, Ravel's Bolero, Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade, Debussy's La Mer) are still favorites.

Chris Campbell

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2019, 10:56:34 AM »
I wish I could get into classical music.  I'm not smart enough to understand it.

Classical makes me aware of having limited exposure to the related classics in literature and performing arts. Not surprisingly, I concentrate a bit better while playing instrumentals, sitting at a desk PC with two monitors to manage construction projects in my profession.

About 20 years ago, a co-worker brought in dozens of his father's recordings on the Deutsch - grammaphone label. And I had a HiFi console, using all tubes,at work ;D

At the time, we shared a large office and played LP's on a Dual 1226/Sure M97 via a tubed Scott 222 amp with mag phono input, connected to the speakers (10"woofs +horns) in an otherwise gutted Zenith X940 console, sitting behind my desk as a credenza. The sound was not loud but I heard every instrument in what seemed to be heightened state of awareness. Maybe I was imagining it but the clarity and dynamic range sounded awesome to my ears back then.

Work listening HAS changed to all your notable piecess on this forum to Youtube over lunch hours, via my issued headset, which is also my workphone. Sheherazade https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQNymNaTr-Y If only I could sneak my Telefunken Hymnus into my cubicle :-\

Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2019, 03:16:17 PM »
Music is the universal language, and one doesn't have to be smart; just listen and let it move you, or not. There's something in the classics for everyone. I started with it because my Mom was a piano teacher, but have moved on to love jazz, blues, Motown, folk, classic country, just as much, almost anything, really, except gangsta rap, electronic "Eurotrash", "Death" Metal, and"plastic" modern country.

A really good system always helps to appreciate all that's there, and keeping an open mind opens doors.The greatest music has nothing to do with class, brains, or education, it's about emotion, and nothing expresses it more directly. I must say though that some of the great classic pieces have SUCH a stunning breadth of emotion within them that they can move one to tears, fury, sadness, joy, something I can't say about almost any other genres of music. The Bach B minor Mass, his cantatas, keyboard music, Beethoven, Mozart, Mahler, Brahams symphonies, concertos, quartets, and other such masterpieces are some of the greatest cultural achievements of Western civilization, but not to be listened to incessantly or on a tinny reproducer, for sure. Variety, in music as in much else, is to be savored, as one isn't always in the mood for the really intense stuff, so much so that I often  prefer lighter musical moments much of the time. But listening to the monumental classical "war-horses" late at night when in the right mood can never be equalled as a profoundly moving experience. Tchaikovsky wrote much beautiful and accessible music: his Pathetique (Pathetic) Symphony # 6, his music for "Nutcracker", "1812 Overture" (with real canons) and much more, is music that most people seem to enjoy. Gershwin similarly, and composed much more recently ('20s/30s). Bernstein, Copland (Billy the Kid, Appalachian Spring, Fanfare for the Common Man), much from the late 20th Century.  One I really enjoy is Mahler's 1st and 5th symphonies with use of folk music tunes that resonate  Live performances of any kind are always engrossing and enjoyable. Try it you'll like it!
Happy Motoring! from Roger in NY

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2019, 12:10:40 PM »
I do enjoy it Roger, always have, and always will.  There was always music in the house when I was growing up. My Dad played the drums, his Mom, my Grandmother played piano.  She could hear a song on the radio and sit down and play it, note prefect.  She could also sight read any piece of music placed in front of her and play it correctly the first time.  Neither of those qualities did I inherit.  I do read music fairly well, but the by ear thing is just not there.  I play some piano, and organ.  To me there is nothing like a big pipe organ, be it classical or theater, to really stir my emotions.  And, music in general has been known to bring tears to my eyes.

Bill