Author Topic: Magnavox 3RP658  (Read 66 times)

mjpalze

• View Profile
Magnavox 3RP658
« on: July 10, 2019, 06:12:06 PM »
Hi all!
  I picked up at Magnavox 3rp658 console the other day. I'm trying to get it going again, and i'm partially successful. The radio picks up stations, and plays. Volume isn't the greatest though. I have to have it turned almost all the way up. Balance seems to be off, not sure if it's related to the volume issue or not. The right channel seems a bit louder and better than the left side. Turning the balance knob either direction doesn't do much-left side gets quiet, and right side keeps playing. Then there's the Squelch knob. I'm wondering if it's contributing to some of the issues.

There's some issues with the turntable also, but i'm working on getting the radio going first. I think I need to get a new needle for it.

electra225

• View Profile
Re: Magnavox 3RP658
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 06:45:34 PM »
First, welcome aboard!

Second, we need a tad more information.  Model numbers off the chassis, pictures of what you're working with.  I'd say you have some bad caps or dirty controls to start with.  It probably needs a good going over like they all do when you just get them.  The changer will need a good going over as well.  Drive tire, motor mounts, clean and lube and maybe a needle.  Good luck.
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

mjpalze

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 10:27:13 PM »
Hello!
  Thanks for the reply! I have the radio chassis pulled out, but there seems to be 2 different chassis number stickers on it. These are the numbers: r20701, 703123.

When I first turned it on, I couldn't get any sound from the speakers. After working the knobs a bit, I got some, but not very loud. When I was taking the back off, I found that whoever had been in it last had hooked one of the antenna leads(from the radio) to the positive side of the channel 1 speaker output. I have found one wire with the insulation melted. Once I straightened the antenna situation out, it started working a bit better. My next step is to get some cleaner for the pot's.

mjpalze

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 01:24:05 PM »
Found one more chassis sticker. The 3 numbers off the radio are: 703123, r20701, and 703141.