Author Topic: Starting on my Grundig...but how do I get rid of this smell?  (Read 10192 times)

AlanInSitges

• View Profile
I've been slowly slogging my way through the various electronics on my Grundig KS-590 over the last few months, and have the amplifier working and just getting started on the tuner/preamp. Since the weather is good and the livingroom remodel is underway, now's a good time to start on the cabinet, which is pretty grimy. Worse than that, though, is...the smell. It's been down in the garage with a ton of old TVs since I bought it so I didn't think much about it until now. This thing REEKS.

It's a mix of mildew, grandma's attic, ass, and, I dunno, maybe tobacco? It mostly seems to be coming from inside the cabinet (the smell got much worse once I took the back off). It was full of gummy black dust that I sucked up with an old vacuum. I'm going to do another more careful pass this afternoon.

I suppose that due to the multiple glass rings, white paint spatters, and scratches I'm going to have to at the very least wipe it down with naptha or something, which I guess may help a bit, but won't do anything for what's coming from inside the console.

Are there any best practices or tips for de-stinking something like this?

electra225

• View Profile
Re: Starting on my Grundig...but how do I get rid of this smell?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 07:30:27 AM »
Let it sit out in the sun and "air out" of a few days.  If you are going to refinish the cabinet, a wash coat of shellac on the interior should seal the wood and eliminate the odor.  Good luck.
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 06:38:37 PM »
A great method is to leave a big flat bowl of ammonia--maybe drape a piece of plastic over it. Works to remove household odors too.  You don't smell the ammonia but it seems to absorb others.  If the smell is really bad, an ozone machine is good, too.  I've got an old small one, an unnoticed item in an auction pile.  Couldn't figure out what it was until I turned on the switch, heard the buzz, and smelled ozone.

Chris Campbell

AlanInSitges

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 02:30:08 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. It's been out there in the sun for three days now and it smells worse, like there's something dead inside. But I'll be damned if I can find it.

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2019, 10:08:05 AM »
That Grundig KonzertShranke 590 is one of the last tube models, and I think there is lots of cloth inside the speaker enclosures that can absorb odor. The bottom is particle board and also suspect. It may need a clear coat of lacquer to seal it.

I have one that is probably in worse shape than yours as it was in a backyard shed for the last 40+ years, before I got it two years ago.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave