Author Topic: Zenith Find  (Read 9562 times)

TJ

• View Profile
Zenith Find
« on: August 04, 2019, 08:52:50 PM »
I Found this Console at a Flea Market in North Toledo Ohio.  I was interested, but I feel they were asking way too much given the state that the cabinet was in.  I know it's a rare model having the satellite speaker, but they wanted $400.  I offered $200 but they wouldn't budge. 

We were able to turn it on, everything worked, there was no hum, but the cabinet is rough. If you are interested, here is the link where we initially found it: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2448443238741986/

I was not crazy thinking $400 was too much was I?

electra225

• View Profile
Re: Zenith Find
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 10:49:40 PM »
I'd say $400 is a tad much in that condition.  However, nobody can dictate your circumstances.  If it is local and transportation costs are nil, then you can pay a bit more.  If it works, you know the critical parts are good, so you can pay a bit more knowing that.  If you love it and just have to have it, you can pay a bit more.  If you can do the restoration work yourself, then you can pay a bit more.  It's up to you and what you want to spend for the total project.  Set a budget for the entire job, say $1000 as an example.  You want to be all in for $1000.  What you pay for the instrument to start comes out of your budget.  You have less to spend on restoration.  The cabinet refinish will be a MAJOR expense.  So......the "money" will be made in the "buy".   Good luck.   :) :)
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 08:39:43 AM »
TJ,

I'm guessing, and if anyone has more info please jump in, that was a top of the line model for Zenith back in the day.  That being said, all Zeniths that I have seen with those controls have a single ended amp sitting in the bottom of the cabinet.  That's not to say it would not sound great, it's just not a push pull amp. 

Bill

hermitcrab

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 05:39:54 PM »
The cabinet does not look that bad to me..  a couple cans of Howards tinted lacquer finish would cover that up...
Elton

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 11:39:36 PM »
I've never had a lot of luck with Howard's.   ::)
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2019, 09:46:39 AM »
That Zenith, due to the separate speaker cabinet, was one of Zeniths TOTL models. The front-facing equipment was standard on Zenith's, Motorola, Mag, RCA and others until 1959, when lids took over and front-facing with doors was reserved for their best models.

This model *may* have a chassis 7K31 push-pull amplifier using EL84/6BQ5, or the step-below single-ended 3K32 in the one attached which has a lid, instead of a door. It does have that same awesome control panel, unlike the less expensive models with more plain slide rule dials.   

IMHO $200 was a generous offer considering all the finish work needed, but if it has that 7-tube amp chassis and maybe the reverb option, its about right.  ;)
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

TJ

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2019, 04:02:11 PM »
Thanks for all of the comments, just wanted to make sure I was on the right track and wasn't passing up a rare gem! :-) 

Had he took my $200 offer, this would have been my basement Console, my Motorola would have stayed in the living room.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2019, 07:55:10 PM »
Thanks Dave!  I have never seen a Zenith with PP tubes before.  Even the TOTL consoles I have seen are single ended. I'm glad to know Zenith did offer PP.

Bill

1959MagnificentMagnavox

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2019, 02:44:02 PM »
Myself i would have pointed out the finish and said lets meet in the middle at 275.oo i think that finish though is beyond howards. Howards all that does and ive used it myself blends in the original finish with the howards, that looks like its down to bare wood?
i cant tell from pictures.
if it was me id go back to the place if it is local and ask them if they will do 275.00
tell them with that finish its not worth that much. This model is from 1959, i have it in one of my brochures, It was one of the best ones for that year.

One thing with me i always look for in any console is grill cloth
if the cloth is stained bad or ripped or bad, i wont buy it
doesnt matter what brand or model it is because thats one thing you cant fix on these is the cloth. Dirty is fine they can be cleaned sometimes but if its ripped or very bad i dont bother
anything else finish and electronics can be fixed and repaired. just my 3 cents :)