Author Topic: Flat belt for 1959 RCA STR-6 or STR-8 two track reel to reel  (Read 4351 times)

1959MagnificentMagnavox

• View Profile
Flat belt for 1959 RCA STR-6 or STR-8 two track reel to reel
« on: August 06, 2019, 11:03:33 AM »
Hey guys im in the process of restoring a nice RCA two track stereo reel to reel, almost recapped and want to put new belts in it to
the one i need info on is the flat brown fabric belt thats in it. thats for the play and take up.
anyone know the size for this so i can see if Gary has them?
i assume if he doesn't have a fabric flat belt a rubber one can be used?
 i would think the rubber would grip and work better.
i also assume this belt was the same on other rcs reel decks of the same year or so
any ideas id be grateful
its almost done and cant wait to hear this rare machine play again. pictures of machine so you can see it
its in a solid walnut custom made by RCA Victor cabinet Danish modern. Weighs a ton
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 11:34:55 AM by 1959MagnificentMagnavox »

Bill

• View Profile
Re: Flat belt for 1959 RCA STR-6 or STR-8 two track reel to reel
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 07:52:10 PM »
That is a great unit Mike!  You need to share the whole story so everyone can enjoy your newest toy.  And, maybe others here on the forum can help with it's "custom" design pertaining to the electronics.  Keep up the good work!

Bill

1959MagnificentMagnavox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 05:56:31 PM »
Bill
I sent you a email and we can chat in the morning. I spoke to Gary at VM and he found the belts I needed and ordered them today, so that's good. I figured he had them. all he needed was the model number of the deck

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 07:17:28 PM »
So what's the word on the tape deck--who made it?

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 08:29:50 AM »
That's a good question Chris, and one that slipped my mind to ask.  Did RCA manufacture their own tape decks?  When RCA produced the Mark 1 for 1956, it was the top of the line for that year, it included a tape deck made by Magnecord.  I wonder if Mike's is the same?

For those who have never seen a RCA Mark 1 here's a link:

https://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=185392&hilit=RCA+Victor+Mark+1

Bill

1959MagnificentMagnavox

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 09:42:41 AM »
Hi
yes this was made by RCA. I think rca was one of the only ones that made their own stuff that im aware of. But for this Model it was their own. The cabinet came from a RCA sales executives estate. RCA had a custom cabinet division. if you wanted a specific style, danish modern or what have you. they would make it for you. He had other cabinets just like mine some smaller that he used for other things. He had one that was for record storage as well.
Being he worked for RCA he was able to probably pick the phone up and call down stairs and order what he wanted. two big doors in the front open to a nice grill cloth and the inside of each door is cloth behind the louvers. It is very well made and is walnut. very heavy.
I have a brochure that talks about their custom cabinets they had, you had to go to your rca dealer and inquire. This guy being a sales exec there just made a phone call im sure :)

Also i found the belts Gary at VM had both and they are on the way.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 06:29:11 PM »
Mike,

When you have time, and if you have the proper equipment to do so, could you please scan the custom cabinet brochure and share with the forum.  I'm sure there are a lot of us that would like to see it.

Thanks,
Bill

hermitcrab

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2019, 06:16:52 PM »
 as a side note that guy on You Tube clydesight , used the plastic strapping used on securing boxes to make his own belt... not sure how he secured the ends together. but that unit is nice !
Elton

1959MagnificentMagnavox

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2019, 07:07:49 AM »
Hi
I was able to buy new belts from Gary stork at VM, we are now back in business. today it goes back in the cabinet
will clean and demagnetize heads and play tapes again after who knows how many years. :)

chazglenn3

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2019, 08:04:25 AM »
Awesome! I still haven't had a chance to get my tape deck to the repair guy. It is completely dead and I'm hoping he can fix it.
Charles
USAF Veteran