Author Topic: NOS Vintage Orange drop Capacitors  (Read 112 times)

1959MagnificentMagnavox

• View Profile
NOS Vintage Orange drop Capacitors
« on: August 11, 2019, 06:33:52 AM »
Theres always a lot of debate if you can use vintage orange drop capacitors that are brand new, never used.
I bought many little cases of them not to long ago and some of the values are very hard to find.
But before I use any I wanted some others opinions on here what they think?
I was told these basically last many many years.
if I had to guess these are from the early 70's
they are in little blue panic caps with clear lid. what's your thoughts?
from what I read they are still good.

TC Chris

• View Profile
Re: NOS Vintage Orange drop Capacitors
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 09:01:16 AM »
I'd say they're good.  The dielectric component is Mylar, isn't it, and the coating is epoxy?  They're both more durable than the old paper and wax.  I'd use 'em and not worry.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 09:49:07 AM »
I'd agree that they are PROBABLY  okay.  I used to have guys bring me gaskets and carburetor kits they found, some of them 50 years old.  Brand new, never used.  I would thank them profusely then deposit that stuff in the trash after they left.  I couldn't trust putting parts that old on a customer's car and stand behind the repair.  I would not put caps that old in a Magnavox amplifier and certainly not in a TV chassis. 
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

Ken Doyle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 12:24:35 PM »
I've always considered N.O.S. Sprague "Orange Drop" capacitors, using polyester (Mylar) or polypropylene as the dielectric, to be as good as new.

1959MagnificentMagnavox

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019, 06:19:55 PM »
Thanks Ken, I had to use a few today to finish a amp I was redoing. These all came from a estate sale from a tv repair man, they even came in a nice metal cabinet
Two long trays slide out and they are all in nice plastic bins
They tested fine so I used them
Seems to be good.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2019, 11:17:01 PM »
Darn!  I was hoping Greg had scared you, and I was going to offer to take the outdated devices off your hands for recycling purposes (of course).

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 01:32:59 PM »
Using 40 year old capacitors is like taking a shower with your socks on.  But, hey, to each his own.  New ones are available for me, antiques are available for people who want to go that way.  Que sera sera...... ::) ;) :)

If you want 40 year old caps, why not just leave what was there alone? 

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2019, 09:01:38 PM »

If you want 40 year old caps, why not just leave what was there alone?

I'm guessing that's because what's there is paper and wax, vs. polyester and epoxy for the NOS.  There may be some risk but not much.  The modern versions are much more likely to survive and perform properly than the originals.

But then I go sailing and ride the bike to work in the street, both behaviors with some risk.  I am sitting here grinning to myself because as a kid I was always the cautious one, not the risk taker.  These are manageable risks, ones that are less risky with due caution (I just ordered 4 new bike lights for winter riding) and with experience & knowledge.

Seems to me that the likelihood that the NOS caps have failed from age is about the same as that brand-new ones have a manufacturing defect that will make them fail quickly in service.  Both are possible but neither is likely. 

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2019, 11:27:22 PM »
We develop preferences and prejudices based on experience.  Or maybe by the way we were taught.  Or maybe just due to pure ignorance.  That is what makes this forum special.  We can share differences of opinion and remain civil.  We each toss in our two cents then move on.   :) :)