Author Topic: Chevy 327 with AFB  (Read 129 times)

electra225

• View Profile
Chevy 327 with AFB
« on: August 13, 2019, 08:28:48 AM »
Here you go, Chris.  This shows the carb setup that should work on your 283 if you decide to upgrade.  I could do without the cam, myself, but what a beautiful 327.  I loved the scalloped valve covers.   :) :)
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

TC Chris

• View Profile
Re: Chevy 327 with AFB
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 04:55:19 PM »
I decided to buy a new gas tank.  I stopped by my rebuilder about getting the car on the rack to drop the tank, deal with the filler leak and maybe a fuel line leak (pulling air bubbles in the in-line filters), and swish out the tank.  He said "You'd be better off just buying a new tank.  And get a premade fuel line while you're at it."  My buddy in CA had told me back before the project was done that I needed to buy a new tank or it would be endless grief.  I e-mailed him last week:  "You were right."  His wife replied, telling me he'd died the day before.  Damn.  But UPS tells me the new tank will be here Thursday.

By the way, no 327 photo arrived in the post....

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 06:21:45 PM »

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 07:27:09 PM »
I kinda like the idle with that cam--not rough, just a bit lumpy to scare people.  One thing's for sure--nobody's going to be scared by my new gas tank.  "Have you heard?? Campbell replaced his gas tank...."  Nope, not the stuff of legend.  But having the Chevy running reliably again, that does impress people.  I had forgotten how much old cars make people smile.  I had a 1960 Rambler American station wagon for many years, just like this one:

http://topclassiccarsforsale.com/amc/170466-1960-amc-rambler-american-super-station-wagon.html

It always made people smile. (And it was, like many of my valuable treasures, a freebie.)  Now I've got the Chevy rolling and that makes for lots of smiles.

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 06:10:51 AM »
Do you wish you still had that little wagon?   This wasn't free, but it does make people smile.  They also ask, "what is it".  ;) :)

Bill

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 09:10:41 AM »
There was a Metro in Phoenix with a 454 in it.  A 327 in a Metro would be fun and possible.   :) :)

Weren't Rambler Americans the cars with a flathead engine?  The ones with the carburetor bolted to the head.  No external intake manifold.  The exhaust manifold was made out of exhaust pipe, not cast iron.  You could buy a new exhaust manifold as part of the exhaust system.  I have a radio for a 1960 around here somewhere.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2019, 09:15:51 PM »
Yeah, the American in 1960 had that flathead (L-head) 6 with the exhaust manifold consisting of a tube with slots cut into the side, bolted to the block.  Mine had a "Flash-O-Matic" 3-speed automatic that would start in 2nd if you selected the economy option on the PRNDL.  I have no idea how many actual miles mine had, since the speedo was disconnected when I got it.  I lubed the cable and it worked fine, and I drove it past 100K.  I sewed new upholstery for the front seats, replacing the bottom cushion cover and the fabric part of the backs. Yes, Bill, I miss it, but 25 years ago I had to find a new job and then move about 200 miles to the new one.  My free garage spaces were already occupied by the '38 Buick,  the '61 Chevy, and the '65 Olds Starfire, so I sold the '60 Rambler and the '69 Olds 4-4-2.  The first Ranger and the Mustang moved with me.  There are some things we do out of necessity so I try not to waste too much time in regrets and lamentations.

And if you think consoles require lots of space, try saving cars....

I was thinking the other day.  As a young person, I wondered why anybody would own anything but a V-8.  Since then I've owned three 4s ('80 Datsun  510 wagon and two Rangers), an opposed-6 ('62 Corvair), an in-line 6 (the Rambler), an in-line 8 (Buick), and 4 V-8s (Chevy, '65 Olds, '69 Olds, and Mustang).  The 4s and 6s outnumber the 8s.  Oops--I forgot the freebie '57 Buick V-8 (and strangely enough, I really miss that car).  But the 8s are still a minority.  And oh, when I hear a Corvair, I get all nostalgic for that one, too.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2019, 11:08:12 AM »
The car I let get away was grandpa's '56 Buick Century.  I never owned a car that was not V-8 powered until 1996.

chazglenn3

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 01:39:20 PM »
I still have only owned V8s. My current 2005 Cadillac STS with the NorthStar V8 is going to be my car until I can afford a nice used Tesla Model S in the P100D variant. Maybe a P90D. But definitely a Performance model with AWD.
Charles
USAF Veteran

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2019, 08:20:00 PM »
My wonderful four-cylinder Ranger truck, all 2.3 liters of it, outperforms a lot of V-8s I have owned.  Like my good ol' Chevy, for instance, in part because the truck has a 5-speed manual transmission vs two in the Chevy's Powerglide.  And the little truck has fuel injection and computerization.  My daily drivers since 1980 have been fours, and the "fun cars" are either old or V-8s (or both, now).  And a couple sixes, in the fun category (the Corvair was daily plus fun, a two-fer.  I flogged the little car unmercifully and it kept running, only popping a belt once when I had loaned it to my boss).

Chris Campbell

Ken Doyle

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2019, 08:40:33 AM »

Weren't Rambler Americans the cars with a flathead engine?

Starting model year 1960, the OHV engine was optional on the American, but the flathead remained the standard engine through 1965.