Author Topic: RCA SHF-1 restoration  (Read 490 times)

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
RCA SHF-1 restoration
« on: September 16, 2019, 01:22:08 PM »
Not my console :-[ :P, but I have it for the next 6 months to restore it for a non-technical friend. I made a standing offer based on its current condition, which is fairly good yet exhibits some effects of dampness, at least on those stout metal legs. When I open it up, I will post some pics. I am very excited to start on this one while I work at two of my own tube RCA's this upcoming dark season.

The SHF's owner is a whiz at locating, transporting and selling (always at profit) all manner of consoles. As a member of FB groups interested in consoles, he does almost no technical work but is slick at repairing finshes and replacing missing parts. We learn much from each other, but retain little. I still have a too-large collection and he is still not interested in repairing.

The SHF's amps, tuner, speakers and original record changer, minus OE magnetic/mono cartridge, is part of the job but the R2R is not  :-\, at least yet. Its safely next to my 69 Pontiac GP, even the car is drooling in the presence of such a beastly embodiment of the early stereo days. The GP also has mono FM radio with two speakers ::). Thanks to Moyer's electronics two counties north of here, I also have the Sams set 418 which covers all the parts, excepting the record changer. Moyers was an RCA distributor, but expecting any further parts availability is fantasy, especially output transformers :'( if I need em.

The owner is moving from an expensive large house to a less expensive townhouse and wanted my advice on which of his remaining pieces were best suited for a living room (!) as his wife has allowed him one console in the living area.
While his '59 Silvertone 9060 front-tuner is atomic-age awesome and the '66 Packard Bell is a Danish in Walnut beauty, I stated in no uncertain terms that a two/three-piece console would be the bomb, especially the SHF-1 that I knew he got from Chicago. To my knowledge, he has not had any other multi-cabinets like a '59 Drexel Motorola or Magnavox CG.

Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

Bill

• View Profile
Re: RCA SHF-1 restoration
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 06:31:12 PM »
Since I was not sure what a RCA SHF-1 was I used Mr. Google.  All I can say is Wow!  RCA always amazes me for how many different models they had.  I never have been able to figure out their model numbering system.  :-[ >:(

Bill