Author Topic: Unknown model Silvertone console stereo  (Read 3377 times)

electra225

• View Profile
Re: Unknown model Silvertone console stereo
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2019, 11:48:44 AM »
This may sound odd coming from a Magnavox collector, but if they had asked me what kind of changer to use in Magnavox stereos, my response would have been VM.  A VM is almost idiot-proof, certainly a plus when I'm messing with a changer.   ::) :-[

I appreciate the information, Ken.   :)
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2019, 11:56:01 AM »
The speakers may be of a higher impedance than the GE tube amp would match. Some, not all early solid state stereos use germanium output transistors matched with 16-36 ohm speakers. You will know if you hook them up, there will not be nearly the same volume as an 8 ohm or lower standard speaker.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2019, 04:21:36 PM »
I wondered about that, Dave.  I have a set of speakers I robbed out of something that may work better.  They are 8 ohm. 

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2019, 11:22:31 AM »
The speakers in this stereo are 8 ohm.  They have "539" codes, which I haven't found in my  EIA chart.  There is a rather odd configuration on the crossover caps.  They are attached to the output transistors ahead of the woofers.  I'd never seen that before.  I assume this to be a Warwick built device.  The "crossover" caps are 100uf at 25 volts.  And, if these are not truly crossover caps, what is their function?

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2019, 08:43:23 AM »
I found the reason the overarm was stuck on the BSR changer.  The same reason the turntable did not want to turn.  Mud daubers had built three huge nests under that platter.  One around the overarm and two under the platter.  I had never seen that before.  The changer actually somewhat works.  The drive tire is hard and the platter mat is hard and split.  The GE stereo has a 1200 series VM changer.  The chassis in this stereo is rather impressive on how it was built.  It has a fairly substantial metal chassis with PC boards bolted to it.  I'm not sure I know what a germanium transistor looks like, but the eight in this chassis are the kind that look like a pot with three legs.  The tuner bezel was glued to the cabinet.  I thought that was kinda chintzy. 

I took some pictures of this rig, by popular demand..... ;) ;)

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2019, 09:09:57 AM »
Now some pictures of the GE guts that are going into the Silvertone cabinet.  I don't believe I've ever seen a console stereo were the wires are connected with wire nuts, apparently factory, since they are all alike.  The GE cabinet is made of mystery wood.  You know it's wood, but it's a mystery where it came from.   ::) ??? ;)   Lest I be accused of abject negativity, let me say this, something positive.  It has 7189 output tubes, it has a nice VM "Custom" changer and the dial bezel and control bezel are unexpectedly refined and well-done.  And it has tubes, with reasonably good performance.  It also has a shorted filter cap with a kaput rectifier.  The power transformer checks good.  I have been using this GE stereo as a shop radio, since the cabinet is busted.  It has been acting strangely lately.  Making popping noises and trying to fade in and out.  It finally quit.  Oops..... :-[

The date codes on tubes are the 48th week of 1962.  The speakers were made by Chicago Telephone Supply, and it was made in Decatur, Illinois.  Unknown model number.  I can't read the model number. 

I'm toying with the idea of not putting any changer back into the Silvertone cabinet.  I'll use the VM changer out of the GE in one of my little GE portable stereos.  The GE chassis has a tape input, so I'll feed my CD changer into that.  I won't use a record player in the shop.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2019, 04:09:39 PM »
The Silvertone looks like it was one of Sears better lines, and in it's day it probably sounded nice.  The GE, tubes, will go well in the Silvertone cabinet.  Have fun with the conversion.  ;) :)

Bill

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2019, 10:46:34 PM »
You may notice that it looks like a retired Magnavox wiring engineer worked for Warwick and for GE back in the day.  Maybe they taught Sloppy Wiring 101 in Engineer school.  Do you suppose there is a reason for sloppy wiring, other than the bean counters run amok?

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2019, 06:42:57 AM »
I'm guessing it's bean counters, and "lets see how fast we can get this down the production line".  ;) :) :o  What ever the reason, it is a nice looking well built piece.

Bill

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2019, 11:21:40 AM »
        The pictures have me totally confused as far as what is up and down and sideways. Are the 6 X 9 speakers forward firing and the two 3 inch tweeters side-firing ? The opposite of a Magnavox. How about the three wooden dowels. Are they running along the bottom of the cabinet ?

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2019, 12:00:22 PM »
I wanted to get a picture of the amp and 6X9 speakers in the GE.  The only way I could do that without dragging the whole thing into the middle of the garage was to take a sideways picture.  Then I neglected to straighten the picture up.  I'm not a photographer by any stretch of the imagination.  The three wooden dowels are decorative on each end of the cabinet and they run vertically.  The amplifier sets in the bottom of the cabinet with the 6X9 speakers above it.  I am taking the GE cabinet apart and am saving hardware for some reason.  I reckon one of those "somebody may need that someday" and add it to the hoard...... :-[ ??? ;)

I loaned my tractor and blade to a guy.  I NEVER loan anything, but he is known to be careful with equipment.  He returned the tractor in fine fettle, but when he put the tractor with a 6' blade on the three-point hitch back into the garage, he crashed into my shop radio, the GE stereo.  He shoved it against the big workbench the Stereo Theater is on.  He didn't realize he had damaged it.  I didn't realize it until I moved the tractor again.  The big workbench did not budge, but the GE cabinet got pretty much totalled.  It split so much of the mystery wood that it's not repairable, even with glue and support brackets.  It splintered the entire bottom and right front corner.  If he'd have pushed harder, he could have put the big workbench thru the garage wall.  He wouldn't have damaged the big bench.   ;) :)