Author Topic: Was a Console, then not a console, then, something great anyway  (Read 257 times)

cheddarbob388

• View Profile
Was a Console, then not a console, then, something great anyway
« on: September 03, 2019, 01:53:47 AM »
Last summer I got a console in trade work, they wanted a little Maggie astrosonic fixed, and they had a different console that i wanted, so a trade was made..
The console that i got was a three piece Acusticraft kit, custom stuffed with some treasures, including a Fisher X-100 Brass Face, Still with the fisher branded tubes in place.
When i got to tear into it, found that ALL the capacitors tested well within spec, almost dead on, the tubes all tested very strong, and with that, I powered it up and it Sang!!
The changer in the console was beyond repair, someone tried to remove it without knowing how, and bent the frame.
When I finally got to inspect the speakers, I find them to be nothing other than a pair of Stephens Trusonic 150FR 16ohm drivers.
So fast forward to this summer, I finally got a setup that is not a console, but just as good, if not better.
I found an old Oak Entertainment center, made a few modifications and housed everything nicely, the Fisher, two Turntables, Cassette Deck, CD Changer and AM/FM tuner. as well as hold my record collection for easy selection.

I wired it up with two duplex outlets, one of them switched, so i have a master switch for the fisher and components.

I am still using the Aucusticraft speaker cabinets with the TruSonic speakers, they are just a dream. so far, I think total investment (save for the records) is at just under $100...

Bill

• View Profile
Re: Was a Console, then not a console, then, something great anyway
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 06:58:49 AM »
Nice score!  And Stephens speakers too.  Some people have all the luck.  ;) ;) ;) :)

Bill

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 07:16:13 AM »
I forgot to ask:  It looks like there are horns for the tweeters.  Are they Stephens as well? 

Bill

cheddarbob388

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 09:30:14 AM »
there are provisions for horns in the boxes, but they are blocked off on the back side, no horns, just one 150FR per channel, and sounds great.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 08:06:25 PM »
Wow, what a great find, and what fun to get it all set up!

Chris Campbell

macgolf

• 1960 Philco H-1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2019, 10:55:54 PM »
Nice score Bob, and really inventive converting an entertainment center to something even better.

Mark

cheddarbob388

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2019, 01:58:13 AM »
THank you guys, and it cleared some room to work on my other projects, like rebuilding the  obliterated cabinet on the Solid state fisher ambassador, put the final touches on the Maggie Imperial, and finish up the '69 TOTL silver tone that was painted black, going to give it a distressed look, and its a wedding present for some good friends, after i fix the FM tuner and get an idler wheel...The joys of being an electronics nerd that loves the old stuff.