Author Topic: You never know when a Console will fall in your lap  (Read 143 times)

cheddarbob388

• View Profile
You never know when a Console will fall in your lap
« on: September 05, 2019, 12:38:20 AM »
So some really bad news prompted a visit to my dad on sunday, just found out last week that he has terminal cancer, he used to come down to my house to visit and see the kids, just to get away from his wife, but now we have to take the party to him. So in the sunday visit, I was informed that his wife's daughter in law has a console that was supposed to be offered to me 2 years ago, and this was the first I was hearing of this. Well, she only lives a mile away from my dad, so we go over to check it out on the way home, she had no idea what the details were, and I was told that if it wasn't worth it, she would junk it.. Well, I am losing my dad, but I will damned if i let a good console go to the dump.

Turns out its a Curtis Mathis, opened the doors, and the knobs and dial glass are perfect.  We took the 70 mile drive to see him in the wife's car, so no room to bring it home...

So tomorrow I am going to be running some service calls in the area for my day job, or at the very least, driving past it, so I will be stopping by and loading it in the work van while I am up there, hell, let my boss pay for the gas and get it on my lunch break.

So, Pictures will be coming as soon as I get it home, I don't even know the model, just one look at the dial glass, and I knew it was worth some effort. So far, all i know is that it worked the last time it was plugged in, and that was over 20 years ago.

Bill

• View Profile
Re: You never know when a Console will fall in your lap
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 06:34:14 AM »
I'm sorry to hear the bad news about your Dad.  I think everyone, at some point, gets news like that.  It's not easy, it's not something we want to hear  All we can do is give our support, help all we can, and love that person even more.  Again, I'm sorry!   

But, congratulations on your newest toy.  We are all waiting for the photos.   :) :)

Bill

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 12:36:06 PM »
Sorry about your dad.  Good luck with your new toy.
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

cheddarbob388

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 03:28:05 PM »
Thank you guys, for the kind words. I know i don't post much, yet, but i have been lurking here for a while, reading many many posts from you, and do feel like part of the community.

anyway, Got it in the van, on my lunch break and took some pictures, its a 4114, a little rough, and I can't wait to tear into it.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 05:23:39 PM »
It has a few flea bites, but it's well worth saving.  Fleabites you can fix.  I'll bet it sounds good when you get it tuned up a bit.  Good luck!   :) :)
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 07:46:20 PM »
Thanks a good looker, you did good.  :) :) :)

Bill

cheddarbob388

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 11:34:04 PM »
so far, i am pretty happy with it, I haven't made a real assessment yet, its still in the van. I got home about 2 hours ago, had to feed the animals, and feed my wife... going to get it in the house soon, then i will see just how bad it is

for the finish, i think i am going to give it a good thorough cleaning and see how it looks after I give it some howards... May end up with a good patina

cheddarbob388

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2019, 11:51:21 PM »
I am going to get it in the house, and I will start a thread in the proper forum for the progress.

chazglenn3

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2019, 07:17:08 AM »
Looking forward to it!
Charles
USAF Veteran

macgolf

• 1960 Philco H-1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2019, 10:25:53 AM »
Sorry to hear about your Dad. I know how difficult sharing that type of news can be. I look forward to following your resto thread.

Mark