Author Topic: Collaro motor Question  (Read 146 times)

hermitcrab

• View Profile
Collaro motor Question
« on: September 07, 2019, 11:09:47 AM »
My magnavox changer is slow to get up to speed, takes like 30 seconds, only thing I did not do was disassemble the motor, I saw no ports for oil , the wow and flutter is horrible until all at once it gets up to speed an stays there perfect... or if I give the platter a push while it is running it will get to speed instantly, everything has been cleaned and lubed.. idler is good , motor mounts good... can't think of anything else that could cause this...so it is a chore to disable this motor? 
Thanks
Elton

TC Chris

• View Profile
Re: Collaro motor Question
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 12:55:01 PM »
Cleaning and lubing the motor is the easiest part of the job!  Unhitch it from the mounts, undo the bolts, clean, oil, reassemble.

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 06:57:37 PM »
Collaro motors are notorious for seizing up.  Yours has not gotten that far, but it's close.  Like Chris said, and Collaro motors are easy, take that puppy apart, clean, lube and enjoy.  :) :)

Bill

Chip2020

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 12:04:37 PM »
If disassembling and lubricating the motor doesn't resolve the problem you might want to look at the idler wheel. Hard or brittle rubber on the idler wheel can cause slippage until the platter gets up to speed. You should, at the least, reface the idler wheel with some fine sandpaper at the same time you lubricate the motor. Just be careful (very important) not to get any oil on the rubber portion of the idler wheel, although you can lubricate the idler wheel shaft if your careful.

Chip

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 06:08:04 PM »
Good advice Chip, and something I usually forget to mention.  Thanks!

Bill