Author Topic: Craig's List Ad!  (Read 177 times)

Bill

• View Profile
Craig's List Ad!
« on: September 09, 2019, 07:09:51 PM »
I spotted this ad the other day and saw something that brought back memories.  When I was a kid my Aunt and Uncle gave me their old VM model 560 record player.  I missed with it and got it going, as the changer was the problem.  The electronics were not that old at that point.  What I spotted in the ad was the 560 cabinet.  It turned out that it was actually a 562, same cabinet, updated electronics.   I called the guy, asked a few questions, and then asked if I could come see it.  Today I did just that, and actually brought it home.  :) :) :) :)  While there I took a look at the other stuff he had.  Some for sale, some where treasures he was not parting with.  Below is the link for the Craig's list ad, and I have included a list of model numbers of what's for sale.  All but one are pictured in the ad. 

RCA console stereo Model TPM11...Mark XI.
Magnavox console stereo model 2ST673 Astro-Sonic
Zenith Floor radio that I could not find a model number for.  :(
RCA Floor radio model K130
Zenith Radio/phono model 7A02
Zenith console stereo model ML2605.
Motorola console stereo in a Drexel cabinet with reverb model SK52W.  This is not pictured.

https://holland.craigslist.org/atq/d/holland-record-players-radios/6963541116.html

Bill

TC Chris

• View Profile
Re: Craig's List Ad!
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 07:42:20 PM »
Is the 560 the portable or the blonde table model?

Chris Campbell

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 08:02:24 PM »
     Congratulations, Bill  !!!   Well done, as the Brits say.  Maybe this purchase will drain off some of your itching that I figured would end in the purchase of that VM TOTL 1002 for sale. That VM table top model looked just like the one my cousins had when I was a kit except that theirs was light and dark gray shades of grey whatever that covering material they used was. yours looks like beige.
         I think that Zenith is a model 12 something or other. 12 tubes.  I used to have the chassis of  that same model. It is a big deep spacious chassis, copper colored paint. Three concentric knobs for band selection, Vernier tuning and off-on volume. Separate RF amplifier, oscillator, and converter tubes. Separate AVC-AM-detector and audio tubes, not a 6SQ7 diode-triode combo tube. PP 6V6 output tubes, a separate phase inverter tube, and 2 6X5 rectifier tubes, plus a magic eye tube. The push buttons on each side are for AM station presets, one side, and tone control options, the other side.  If I remember right.
          I hope someone on this forum buys it. It's a real piece of equipment. 

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 11:07:45 PM »
Somebody else can have the Zeniths.  I'm glad Bill got the one he wanted.  I'm sure he'll have fun fixing it up.   :) :)
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 07:07:56 AM »
Chris!  The 560 is really a 562 and it's the blonde table model.

Bill

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 09:01:03 AM »
And I called it a console.   ::) :-[ ;) :)

I need to learn to pay attention.  Electronic communication is not my strong suite.

danrclem

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 09:44:51 AM »
That 562 should take you back in time Bill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEUEIV9ZmrU

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 06:34:09 PM »
I'm guessing from that YouTube video that the 562 is the same device n a tabletop configuration as my Model 566.  And the same Sams seems to cover both.  6BQ5 P-P output?  And notably an "ultralinear" output stage arrangement.

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2019, 08:19:53 PM »
Thanks for the video Danny!   I wish mine had the original changer.  :( :(  The one that was in my new toy is VM, but it's a much new changer, and it's stereo.  I'll be on the hunt for an original. 

Chris, it does have PP 6BQ5's but that's all I know at this point.  I need to find a schematic for it so I can see what makes it tick.  "ultralinear" you say?

Bill

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2019, 09:48:37 PM »
Here's the schematic, which I think I also posted in downloads.  Note the extra taps on the output transformer primary, back to the screen grid (?).  It's a form of local feedback and not expected on a not-so-high-end device  But there it is, so V-M must have decided it would improve things.

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2019, 06:53:36 AM »
Thanks Chris!

Bill

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2019, 09:04:45 AM »
6BW4 rectifier.  Never heard of that one.  Wonder if I have one of those tubes? 

The primary of the output transformer is tapped to supply B+ to the screen grids of the output tubes.  RCA liked to do that.  That looks like a healthy amplifier for a portable record player.  That must have been a VM trademark, using huge amplifiers in small devices.  I have a VM tape recorder that has a 6CA4, 12AX7 a 6EU7 and P-P 6BQ5's powering a 6X9 speaker.  Plus the eye tube which I can't remember the number of.  The more I see of VM's products, the more respect I have for it.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2019, 06:31:46 PM »
I have a VM tape recorder that has a 6CA4, 12AX7 a 6EU7 and P-P 6BQ5's powering a 6X9 speaker.  Plus the eye tube which I can't remember the number of.  The more I see of VM's products, the more respect I have for it.

Which V-M tape recorder?  I've always had an irrational fondness for those.

Chris Campbell