Author Topic: New member from SE WI  (Read 656 times)

Super88

• View Profile
Re: New member from SE WI
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2019, 10:30:11 AM »
Motorola Minion, thanks for the info. This time of year finishing up outdoor projects comes first, so I'm not ready to dive into the console yet, but thanks to the large holes in the back I was able to see there is a stereo multiplex unit installed.

I have several questions, but I realize this is the introduction section and will post them in the appropriate area.

As to my Olds, it's a 1955 and the middle child of the cars I own.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2019, 06:45:28 PM »
In the GM line, I think Motorola would be an Oldsmobile.  ;) :)

Bill

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2019, 08:10:33 PM »
I'm glad somebody else thinks in terms of car hierarchies.  My local sailboat is a Cal, a brand popular back in the 1960s and '70s because it was inexpensive but well-designed--kinda like a Chevy.  My little boat is the Chevrolet of sailboats, plentiful (they made almost 3000 of my 20-foot model, and that's huge in the sailboat world) and cheerful and competent. 

Chris Campbell

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2019, 10:05:12 PM »
         I didn't know Oldsmobile had mid-50s models called Super 88. I had a 55 Super too, but it was a Buick Super. In that year every Buick except the Special had 4 holes in the front fender. In other years, only the Roadmaster had 4 holes.
         If you enjoy seeing original B & W footage of the old 50's cars barreling around, they now are rerunning old episodes of Highway Patrol with Broderick Crawford about the California Highway Patrol in 1955. Their cars look a lot like your Super 88 except they are 4-door sedans I think Buick Centuries (they have 4 holes) but in Buick Special bodies. 
 They are always driving the cars fast, both into the curves and in the straightaways. I feel sorry for the "state policemen" actors trying to handle those softly-sprung beasts.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2019, 10:30:05 AM »
Buick Super started having four portholes in 1955.  The four portholes denoted a four barrel carburetor.  Super had a two barrel carb on the big engine in 1953 and '54.  The Century was the exception to the "four hole" rule, in 1954.  I have no idea why.  The Century had three portholes like the Special in '54.  That was the first year for Century since 1942, so maybe the designers made Century a hot-rod version of the Special?  Century got four portholes starting in 1955.  And an AFB starting in late 1956.  Highway Patrol used '55 Century model 68's and Olds Super 88 two and four door sedans.  Buick only made a few model 68's and they all went to CHIPS.  The Super 88 in Olds was the equivalent of the Century in Buick.  The big engine in the smaller body.  A banker's hot rod.  You'll notice that in 1957, Highway Patrol started using Mopar and Mercury for the most part.  Once in awhile you'll see a '57 or '58 Buick, but Dan Matthews drove Mopar.  Trying to chase a bad guy while driving a '58 Buick would have been a scary thought...... ::)
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2019, 10:34:32 AM »
In the GM line, I think Motorola would be an Oldsmobile.  ;) :)

Bill

Thanks Bill, 34 years ago, my brother had a '66 F85 I used to borrow. For the smallest olds with a modest 330 V8, it was a sweet car in stock form. Kind of like my SK-107 phono-only console with the 20-watt 3-channel amp.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

Super88

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2019, 11:41:08 AM »
Not to stray far from audio topics, but since it was asked I found this online.

1955 Super 88 SERIES V-8 -
As in the past, the higher horsepower Ninety-Eight series engine was slipped into the 88 body for the Super 88. An Olds buyer had more choices in this series than any other since there were four available body styles: 2-door sedan and hardtop, 4-door sedan and hardtop, and a convertible. Standard equipment included all items from the 88 series plus foam rubber seat cushions, stainless steel rocker panel moldings, front seat back robe cord, spun glass under-hood insulation, and rear window vent panes.
Upholstery choices were pattern cloth, leather and pattern cloth combinations, and two different color leather combinations.

Mine is a Super88 2dr hardtop. It has a 324 V8, 4 barrel carb and a 4 spd Hydra-matic transmission. The transmission has no park position and car is parked by placing in reverse. When the ignition is shut off the transmission locks. It was considered a hot car in it's day. Mine has had some mild customizing done.

Now back to audio matters.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2019, 07:15:01 PM »
But, but, cars are fun too..... ::) :o ;) :) :)

Bill

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2019, 07:55:27 PM »
Well, you are the OP, so cars are part of this thread, at least until you start another. The individuality of 50s-60s GM brands could not be more appropriate with a handle like '88  8), you add to the car conversation here. Feel free to slip in a moto-reference in any thread at random.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave