Author Topic: Nomination  (Read 285 times)

TC Chris

• View Profile
Nomination
« on: September 22, 2019, 09:15:31 AM »
I'll nominate Ed from Baltimore as the official group teacher--his comments are always interesting and informative and instructive.  I learn a lot by reading his entries.  My understanding of TV engineering is very limited, for example, but now I've learned a bit more about how the components actually work.  Thanks for contributing, Ed. 

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
Re: Nomination
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2019, 11:21:10 AM »
Such a designation might tend to marginalize the contributions of others on this forum.  Forums like this are made up of the input of many people to educate and encourage others.  Teaching takes many forms.  Sometimes tidbits of information, seemingly unrelated to the topic, are what is needed to complete a project.  I'd like to suggest a culture of appreciating and encouraging many to contribute their knowledge and input. 
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2019, 01:04:22 PM »
                That's very kind and complimentary of you to post that, Chris, but don't forget that usually my "informative, interesting" analysis are just plain wrong !!  And I mean horribly wrong--such as claiming a strange problem someone is having has to be due to a circuit design defect and then it turns out to be a tube in the wrong socket.
                Believe me I have learned a lot more on this forum than anyone has learned from me. And I want more than anything to be a team player. As Greg has wisely put it, this group has solved most of its problems together as a group. Which isn't the usual case, as you realize when looking at similar forums.
             How about nominations for perseverance against insurmountable problems ?   I know Greg should get one for being near his golden anniversary--50 pages of posts on the ST. And you deserve one Chris, for getting that GE chassis 86 going.  And many others.
             But thanks anyway. You have made my day. I'm glad that someone reads all that stuff I spew out uncontrollably sometimes. So many times I have hit post accidentally when I meant to reread it a few times to see if it's a little off the wall. A leftover habit of being up against the timeout limit on the model lobby computer.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2019, 04:20:45 PM »
I certainly don't want to discourage others--It's always nice to see other folks add comments.  And you know me, I'll chip in whether I know enough about the subject or not.  Kinda like the stopped clock being right twice a day.  But Ed explains the circuit engineering in ways that are easy to grasp, yet in some depth. 

One thing that fascinated me is how there are many ways to approach an activity.  I have a little collection of 8mm film cameras, all doing basically the same job of advancing and exposing one frame at a time, yet they come in all shapes and sizes.  It's interesting to hear how the electronic engineers created the various waveforms and voltage changes needed to make a TV scan, for example.

Chris Campbell