: WTB working console in So Cal  ( 2295 )

AlanInSitges

• : 22
WTB working console in So Cal
« : October 23, 2019, 10:31:28 AM »
I am wanting to gift a working console to a friend who lives in Palm Springs. I live in Europe so I can't just shine up my Magnavox or Grundig a drive it over there.

I'm looking for an early-to-mid-60s model appropriate for one of those cute midcentury houses that Palm Springs is full of. That is to say, not interested in any furniture style that contains the words "early", "provincial", or "oriental". Solid state is OK. It should be functional and with no need for amplifier repair. He's likely going to use it mostly as a giant Bluetooth speaker, so performance of phono and tuner are not super important.

Ideally it would be one of those Zeniths with the louvered speaker grilles, or one of the highwater GEs, or something along those lines, even a consolette if it's nice. Brand not important.

Anybody got anything like that they're wanting to part with?

electra225

• Global Moderator
  • : 3978
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

chazglenn3

• : 327
Re: WTB working console in So Cal
« #2 : October 23, 2019, 01:40:32 PM »
Holy Moley! $2250! $850!  There sure is a lot of money in California!
Charles
USAF Veteran

electra225

• Global Moderator
  • : 3978
« #3 : October 23, 2019, 04:02:36 PM »
Optimism springs eternal in California..... ;) ;) :) :)

I liked the look of the Airline in the alleged Drexel cabinet.  The price is obscene.  Move a decimal point and they'd be closer.
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

Bill

• : 1984
« #4 : October 23, 2019, 06:46:07 PM »
I would sell my Motorola, that I know for sure has the Drexel cabinet, all day long for $2250.00. And, it has the MCM Dexel cabinet.

Bill

TC Chris

• : 2762
« #5 : October 23, 2019, 07:05:38 PM »
The Zenith wins by price, but the Maggie takes the prize for looks.  The Airline vendor must have been reading about P.T. Barnum.

Chris Campbell

Harbourmaster

• : 2415
  • Long Beach, CA 90808
« #6 : October 23, 2019, 08:11:57 PM »
I don't presently have anything that meets your cabinetry criteria but here is a very nice looking MCM Packard Bell that according to the title is fully functioning.  Since they don't show a picture of the model tag I'm not sure if this is Tube or SS.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/fuo/d/venice-fully-working-midcentury-packard/7001818866.html

And here is another very nice MCM Packard Bell. This might even be the one I refurbished and sold about 5 years ago (pictures are in my gallery above) . If so, it sounded phenomenal and I had a bit of sellers remorse once it was gone!

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ele/d/los-alamitos-vintage-packard-bell-radio/6994008226.html
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

AlanInSitges

« #7 : October 24, 2019, 03:16:38 AM »
Thanks for the responses so far, everyone! I've already seen the stuff on Craigslist and Facebook; I was hoping to find one from someone on here (that hasn't been smoking crack). I love my friend but not $800 plus delivery costs worth.

Motorola Minion

• : 1248
  • Southern Pennsylvania
« #8 : October 24, 2019, 01:49:47 PM »
Holy Moley! $2250! $850!  There sure is a lot of money in California!

Geez! That is some neat stuff, I need to truck my collection out there!
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

voxACthirtee

• : 173
« #9 : October 25, 2019, 11:23:15 AM »
I don't know how you want the gift to go over, but if you are looking for turnkey, restored, no worries, you probably want to think in that $800, or $500+ range.
If you just want to roll the dice on something used, or you know your friend is able to restore the electronics, you might find a bargain. But do you want to gift something thats a "fingers crossed" gift? Not judging, just offering perspective. Any console in 2019, is VERY old at this point, and will need basic maintenance, which gets expensive, even if done by one of us. "Value added", as they say.

AlanInSitges

« #10 : October 26, 2019, 08:05:34 AM »
Those are all good points, and I think I'm probably hoping to find something "good enough". If someone here on VHF had something that had been recapped and serviced in those price points, it's a completely different animal.

The $500 would probably be worth it, if it had been serviced and was reliable (within the limits of a 60-year-old instrument). But $500 for an as-is that "works perfect, just needs a needle" is not gonna happen.

BRETTZKY99

• : 54
« #11 : October 20, 2020, 10:33:29 AM »
Is your friend up for a road trip to San Francisco?   ;)

http://vintagehifi.net/index.php/topic,4086.0.html