Author Topic: 1962 Blaupunkt Chicago  (Read 901 times)

TJ

• View Profile
1962 Blaupunkt Chicago
« on: October 23, 2019, 07:31:19 PM »
My quest for a basement console led me to this local find on Facebook Marketplace.  It is a 1962 Blaupunkt Chicago, while it says Stereo, it is only Stereo in terms of the record player and tape input jacks, it does not have an FM Stereo decoder. So far, I have completely replaced all of the old paper caps and the electrolytic caps; when I tested the old caps, their capacitance was testing about double their stated value and they were very leaky.

It has a Perpetuum Ebner PE66 turntable that is missing the tonearm. This is a pretty rare turntable as far as parts, but, I am planning on using my Audio Technica AT1200 as the record player for this unit, so I'm not worried about repairing/replacing it.

I still need to work on the cabinet, there is some veneer missing on the top where the sides stick above the top plate. but the rest of it is in pretty good shape.  I may do some accent painting to hide the missing vernier strips. 

TC Chris

• View Profile
Re: 1962 Blaupunkt Chicago
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2019, 12:27:11 AM »
Love that name--Chicago.  Seems to me that the Becker car radios used exotic American names too.  But then we name our cars Le Mans or Riviera or Monaco or El Dorado so  guess we can't laugh too hard. Those German devices often had a fairly Jetson-y design, didn't they?  And it was obligatory to have the big glass slide-rule dial with concentric knobs at each end and pushbuttons along the bottom.  I have an unnamed German console of about the same vintage that's a bit rounder in cabinet contours but with the same dial style.

Chris Campbell

macgolf

• 1960 Philco H-1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2019, 06:49:30 AM »
I remember the name from car audio in the 80's probably because of the Crutchfield catalogs. Shouldn't be too surprised they had consoles. Very nice find you have. Thanks for sharing and looking forward to your restorations on this one.

Mark

TJ

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2019, 07:37:48 AM »
The other cool thing about it is that it has 6 speakers!  it has a woofer on each side, then it has mid-range speakers in the front, the cool part is that it has electrostatic Isophon tweeters as well! 

I am waiting on an ECL-86 output tube as the right channel is very weak, and the tube shows numerous signs of internal shorts/arcing on the glass. Interestingly, the ECL-86 is a pre-amp/power output tube in one. Basically an EL-84 with half of a 12AX7.  The left channel has a standard EL-84 with the preamp in another split tube. 

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2019, 01:46:08 PM »
Very nice console and quite the rare record player. What cartridge did that P-E have?

Its interesting you noted the leaky caps increased in value, also a condition I found with higher-mf/ lower voltage caps in early SS equipment.

I have an older Blaupunkt big table model radio, the Barcelona and it uses the EABC80 (6T8) triode section for AF and an EL84 (6BQ5) for output. The ECL-86 was pretty popular with the Germans, as it reduced tube count, when SS diodes for detectors were employed.

The 6GW8/ECL86 can be pricey and is found in European and Japanese models that were the very last of their tube models.

Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

macgolf

• 1960 Philco H-1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2019, 06:43:34 AM »
My 1st console had a SE 6GW8/ECL86 receiver in it. I was not familiar with that tube prior. It took some time to locate a NOS pair at a comfortable price, $25 shipped. You're welcome to the "good" single I have, if you need it. I don't have a tester but the other one red plated regardless of socket and was binned. This is a backup that I wouldn't expect to match the 2 in my unit now.

Looking forward to pics of the electrostatic tweeters.

Mark

TJ

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2019, 08:02:58 AM »
Very nice console and quite the rare record player. What cartridge did that P-E have?

I'm not sure as the tonearm was completely missing when I bought it.  I do have an eBay search saved so that I get any notifications when PE66 parts/tables do show up so that I can eventually fix the table. 

TJ

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2019, 08:52:47 AM »
My 1st console had a SE 6GW8/ECL86 receiver in it. I was not familiar with that tube prior. It took some time to locate a NOS pair at a comfortable price, $25 shipped. You're welcome to the "good" single I have, if you need it. I don't have a tester but the other one red plated regardless of socket and was binned. This is a backup that I wouldn't expect to match the 2 in my unit now.

Looking forward to pics of the electrostatic tweeters.

Mark

Thanks for the offer on the tube, the one I ordered is being delivered today so I shouldn't need it!  I am looking forward to hearing what it sounds like with a fresh tube in the weak channel.  The triode section of the tube is having the most issues, I believe, when you turn the treble all the way down it will make a nasty screeching sound out of that channel.