Author Topic: Setting Up CCTV For The Home  (Read 312 times)

19and41

• View Profile
Setting Up CCTV For The Home
« on: October 29, 2019, 02:32:42 PM »
I had some vandalism at home this summer, so I got a 4 position wireless camera system with 2 cameras.  I put the first one up Sunday and have about got things going.  The monitor is also a DVD that records to an SD card and has both PIR and Image  movement cued recording and stores the events by date and time.  The card doesn't come with it, so I have a 256gb card coming.  It says that word allow 7 days continuous recording before overwriting or stopping.  It takes a pretty good image and has  built in IR illumination.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

electra225

• View Profile
Re: Setting Up CCTV For The Home
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 07:14:23 PM »
I'm considering a system like that to keep landscapers honest.  I'd be interested in how well satisfied you are with yours when you get it all up and running.
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 10:21:03 PM »
I have the system set up now, though I will still need to put up the backyard camera,  My problem was with the programming of the DVR to properly record an event and have the time and date set up.  I've just got home and it has recorded every movement in the cul de sac,time stamp recorded.  Now the next fun will be linking it to my wireless router to access viewing through it.This setup cost around $240, with more cameras at $60 per. 
— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

• View Profile
— Arthur C. Clarke

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 07:45:21 AM »
I have friends that did the same thing only theirs is linked somehow to the smart phone.  The cameras detect movement, and then using their WIFI somehow bounces what the cameras are seeing to their smart phones so they can see what the camera sees.   I believe it also will record, somehow, what the cameras see.  It's all way beyond me.  I have enough trouble just doing the forum and emails.  :-[ :-[ :( :( :)

Bill

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 03:02:48 PM »
The gurus at the store where I work say the wireless systems are not that big of a deal.  I don't believe I need to talk to the refrigerator or microwave with my cell phone, though.  I can turn on my own lights.  I just am considering a system where I can verify the landscapers doing what I pay them to do while I'm gone.  Landscapers around here are not the most dependable or honest people there are.  The last three I've had have caused me to get a nasty letter from the HOA due to my unkempt yard.  Yeah, yeah, I know, having an HOA is not the smartest thing, but, out here, finding a decent place to live without an HOA is not that easy.  Paying for service I do not receive is aggravating.  That's why I want a security system.  The HOA keeps landscapers honest, but they don't tell me when the landscaper dropped the ball.
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2019, 10:30:35 PM »
Before you commit, consider the reasoning behind my getting a wireless unit.  I didn't want to have to run a signal cable back to the monitor/DVR from the camera.  That made it possible for me to do it myself.
— Arthur C. Clarke