Author Topic: Is this a faux finish ?  (Read 394 times)

Hydrolastic

• View Profile
Is this a faux finish ?
« on: November 04, 2019, 09:13:11 PM »
Hello, My Magnavox has a couple of dings. Looking closely at it is seems its not grain that you can see but a brushed finish that is then coated with a clear coating of some kind. It's really too bad it is the only defect on the exterior that i can see.  It's a 1960 concert hall. How is this finish fixed?

TC Chris

• View Profile
Re: Is this a faux finish ?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 10:37:37 PM »
You could try to find a wood stain that matches the color and dab a little on.  All you need to do is disguise the flaw.  But first, try wiping the spot with paint thinner.  If the whiteness goes away, then you really just need to dab a bit of varnish or shellac on the spot to make the effect permanent.  The paint thinner test usually shows what the surface will look like with a finish on it.  You may not need any stain or color.  Try the easiest fixes first.

Chris Campbell

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 10:41:31 PM »
By the way, Magnavox did use tinted lacquers over inexpensive woods to emulate fancier materials.  My '51 console was called "Fruitwood," I think, but it's basically some white woods with a brown-toned lacquer sprayed on.  Even the better wood grades were mostly used as veneers, with some solid-wood parts like edges faked with colored lacquer.  My '56 Provincial Serenade in cherry has a faux cherry base.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 06:12:58 PM »
Magnavox used ash predominately in its cabinets.  I would try some mineral spirits to clean the spots, then follow that with some Old English furniture polish.  I agree with Chris to try the easy stuff first.  That is not faux finish on your cabinet.  The original finish was sprayed on with tint then toners, then the finish.  You should be able to remove the finish with lacquer thinner and acetone, which preserves the stain and toners for the most part.  I have refinished two Magnavox stereo cabinets.  They are solidly-built hardwood cabinets.  You might also find the finish code on the model number sticker.  Then go to Home Depot and get a stain pen to touch those spots up.

I'm not familiar with a Magnavox Concert Hall.  Could you post a picture?
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

Hydrolastic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 07:15:26 PM »
Here it is the house was built in 53 and it matches the living room perfectly. Label on the back says 59 but it's in the 60 catalog.