Author Topic: Magnavox Continental With Extension Speaker  (Read 1055 times)

TJ

• View Profile
Re: Magnavox Continental With Extension Speaker
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2019, 08:02:09 AM »
The piano is a 1962 Wurlitzer, it's a console height that sounds really nice.  There are studio height pianos that do not sound as nice as it does.   It, however, needs a serious tuning done to it. 
My Consoles:
1962 Motorola SK112CW-FM, All original tubes
1962 Blaupunkt Chicago, PITA to work on...
1959 Magnavox Continental, with extension speaker
1965 Grundig KS590U - to be restored...

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2019, 06:20:25 PM »
The Wurlitzer piano reminds me of a Michigan piano name--Grinnell's.  Grinnell Bros. were headquartered in Detroit.  My hometown had a Grinnell's store.  They made and sold pianos and offered other instruments, and lessons, and teaching rooms, and--most important--pianos on credit without regard to race.  There's a great book on Detroit's glory days, Once a Great City by David Maraniss. He explained that by making pianos widely available (and other instruments, and lessons) Grinnell's fostered a musical culture that led to Motown.  How cool is that (and for us Michiganians how sad that other forces destroyed Detroit).  The book mentions that Grinnell's downtown headquarters was designed by Michigan's preeminent architect, Albert Kahn, who became famous for industrial structures but also did commercial and residential buildings.  Much of the main U-M campus is his work.

Chris Campbell

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2019, 06:21:40 PM »
Sorry about all those italics.  My one gripe about this site is how hard it is to add italics, bold face, etc.  I meant to use italics only for the book's title.

Chis Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2019, 07:02:55 PM »
My first organ came from Grinnell Brothers, the Muskegon branch. I think my Grandmothers grand came from Grinnell's too.  It was purchased when Grandpa had his practice in Detroit.  When they moved to Hart the piano came with them.  I do not have that piano, but I do have the bench.  I now have my Grandmothers Yamaha console piano. 

Detroit, back in the day, was equal to anything New York had to offer.  J. L. Hudson department store, Grand Central train station, The Fisher building, the GM building, The Fox Theater were all architectural master pieces. 

Are you the one that plays TJ?

Bill

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2019, 11:47:32 PM »
TJ???

Chris Campbell

TJ

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2019, 06:52:01 AM »
I play a little piano, mostly self-taught, Saxophone is my main instrument, I play Bari Sax in 3 different community bands in the area. 
My Consoles:

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2019, 11:33:18 AM »
Chris, Sorry! The first part was for you, or anyone on the forum.  The last sentence was for TJ. 

TJ, you must be pretty good if you play for 3 bands. If I might ask, where is the area you play?

Bill

TJ

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2019, 12:59:09 PM »
I am Napoleon Ohio, which is about 45 minutes west of Toledo and is about halfway between Ft. Wayne Indiana and Toledo on US 24.

There are a few community bands in the area, Bryan City Band meets during the summer, while Defiance and Napoleon Bands meet throughout the year. 

I minored in music in college, and there are a lot of current and former School Band directors in the groups.  There are also quite a few people who aren't all that good but are in the band(s) for the social aspect and it gets them out of the house.

I actually stopped playing for a few years after college as I was a little burnt out from all the playing I did from the multiple groups I was in. There were days, especially close to performance time, that I was playing upwards of 3 hours a day on 3 different instruments, and this was on top of school work, and my part-time on-campus job.   Once I finished my master's degree I decided that I needed to fill my time with something now that I wasn't writing 10+ pages a week in homework. Music has filled a good part of the time and the other has been vintage radio/stereo equipment! 
My Consoles:

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2019, 06:49:10 PM »
If I ever retire (and at age 72, it doesn't seem imminent), one plan to is to take some trombone lessons to regain my skills that have gone untested since high school.   I was a terrible trombone player in the high school band because I could not summon the will power to practice.  But oh, how I loved that one hour each day when we got to make music in the band. Since then, I've been a ferocious music listener to all kinds of music, especially classical.  It would be fun to play in a band again.

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2019, 12:22:03 PM »
TJ,

You are not all that far away from me. I'm located on Michigan's west coast in a little town called Hart.  Muskegon, and Ludington have the band groups, which are a short drive away.  Hart has things going on in the summer to make the vacationers happy.  Hart still has it's original theater and is owned by friends.  The husband plays organ, and the wife plays piano.  They run silent films during the summer along with concerts and play for bus tours and such.  I wish I had the ambition to start play the organ again.  I have three organs and Grandma's piano.  I rarely touch any of them.   :( :(

Thanks for sharing!

Bill

voxACthirtee

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2020, 08:50:54 AM »
Just ran across the thread, great score.I had the same thing in a darker reddish color. Sounded great.I've had 2 "Stereo" Continental setups. The first was an earlier one in Black, that had the Amp179 monobloc in the console, and the second speaker was powered with another Amp179. That one roared! The second reddish one came with the stereo biamp like yours and it surprised me as i had not seen that setup, but it also sounded pretty damn good. I moved on from both setups in search of Imperials and Concert Grands(and higher end Fishers) but once i had all those, i really came to appreciate the style, sound and size(not too big or heavy to move) of the Continental. Should have kept the Black one at least! Power-wise, it was more a mini Concert Grand than an Imperial is. 2 Amp 179s can really sing.