Author Topic: CD Player lens cleaning?  (Read 286 times)

TC Chris

• View Profile
CD Player lens cleaning?
« on: December 21, 2019, 10:48:50 PM »
I've just replaced my Phillips CDR560 CD player/recorder with a new Tascam recorder.  The Phillips was getting pickier and pickier about accepting blank discs and recently was approving about 1 in 10.  At that point I stopped thinking it was disc quality and started suspecting the machine.  I popped a rejected disc into the new machine and it accepted it.  So yeah, it's the Phillips, not the discs.

So... does anybody know how you clean a CD player laser lens?  I figured it's worth trying that so I could have a second, backup recorder.  The Phillips stlll plays CDs well.  It just won't approve blank discs that are inserted for recording.

Chris Campbell

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
Re: CD Player lens cleaning?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2019, 01:43:10 PM »
My Onkyo CD changer has burned up its second motor in 18 years. Im not sure Ill find a replacement either.

With player lens cleanings, I have a CD with little tiny brushes on one side. It seemed to work good in the car player.

Several of the Toshiba and Sony DVD player/recorders we had would reject discs for minor smudges, but it got worse and soon no amount of polishing would make them acceptable. I blame digital rot but it could have been player/microprocessor issues resulting from failing power supply caps possibly. At least this effort fixed some DTV converter boxes that called it quits.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2019, 04:13:58 PM »
Over on ARF I made an inquiry under the hifi heading.  The most-likely response said that tiny surface-mount electrolytics operating at small voltages are prone to failure as they age.  I will quote the reply:

On nearly all vintage Philips and Magnavox CD players there is a small electrolytic that dries out and develops high ESR. It causes symptoms quite like a faulty laser optical pickup: Some disks play, others fail to initialize.

The player may work better if left switched on all the time.

Replacing the capacitor is usually a permanent repair.

I don

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2019, 04:15:24 PM »
Continue the quote:

I don

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2019, 04:17:34 PM »
OK, this site won't accept the full quote.  Here's a link to the thread.  It's worth a read because it pertains to many modern devices.

https://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=369407

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2019, 07:22:07 PM »
Changing capacitors is the cure-all from some of the ARF crowd.   :-[ ::) ;)
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2019, 08:33:32 PM »
SMD's have ruined servicing PC board electronics  >:(. back to analog... ::)
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2019, 10:21:50 PM »
The thought of trying to deal with them makes my skin crawl.  I'll retire the recorder to play-only duty.

Chris Campbell

hermitcrab

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2020, 06:05:47 PM »
is it a recorder as well? , I have a Magnavox recorder , but researching it ... I found out it is made by Funai that electronics powerhouse ....lol... mine does the same ... keeps telling me it can't read blank discs.... and cleaning the eye did nothing for mine... I have a flat screen TV from 2007 that is branded magnavox... but it is a plasma set... still plays great... hard to believe it could be a Funai .....
Elton

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2020, 07:14:52 PM »
My Phillips is a recorder & player.  It plays fine but is extremely picky these days about which discs it will record  on.  I replaced it with a Tascam from Sweetwater while they're still available.

Chris Campbell

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2020, 07:17:08 PM »
By the way, the early Magnavox CD players were regarded as competent low-cost devices, and there was a whole series of articles in the old Audio Amateur magazine about upgrading them to increase audio performance.  They called it POOGE--progressive optimization of something or another.

Chris Campbell