Author Topic: New Project  (Read 319 times)

TC Chris

• View Profile
New Project
« on: December 29, 2019, 06:49:51 PM »
Our weather is so odd that I was able to haul an old radio back from where the Chevy lives, and where I am for the holiday period, in the truck.  It was so warm (60 degrees) last week that I was able to get some primer n a garage door that I had scraped but hadn't been able to paint in the fall.  The radio is an Emerson DE-436. The schematic is here (the second one on the page, not the portable with 1.5V tubes):

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbymodel/042/M0005042.pdf

And here's a photo of a similar one (not mine):

https://www.ebay.com/i/202854376838?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=202854376838&targetid=596465769508&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9017140&poi=&campaignid=6470719340&mkgroupid=77931583832&rlsatarget=pla-596465769508&abcId=1140476&merchantid=6296724&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6oCzro_c5gIVDz0MCh0U7ASaEAkYAiABEgL1UvD_BwE

It's kinda like the Motorola/Drexel deal--the one says "Cabinet by Ingraham" on the back.  It's large table radio with an upward-facing 8" speaker and P-P 6L6 output (!).  It also has a tuned RF stage and a tuning eye.  It's basically a console radio (minus SW bands) in a tabletop cabinet. My Dad bought it from a wealthy friend who was upgrading back in the 40s.  It was working when retired to the attic long ago and I'll be recapping it.  The chassis come out through the bottom; the back is glued on.  The comments over at ARF suggest that they sound  very good when recapped.  I remember that it had good bass. 

Chris Campbell

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
Re: New Project
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 06:56:09 PM »
That is quite the radio.  Almost as overdone as the Philco 116-B.  It should sound good when you get it done.  I hope you'll share the project with those of us less fortunate.  Good luck.   :) :) :) :) :)
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 07:56:18 AM »
It's interesting that the cabinet is by Ingraham, which is a clock company.  Ingraham must have used their cabinet building skills for other companies.  That's an impressive looking radio Chris.  Keep us posted please.

Bill

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2019, 11:55:47 AM »
Here's a thread over at ARF.  You're right--clock company saw an opportunity in making radio cabinets.
https://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=59351

Chris Campbell

hermitcrab

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2020, 04:06:18 PM »
wow , that is one big table radio...
Elton

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2020, 06:19:17 PM »
Yeah, and with P-P 6L6 output to drive the 8" speaker!  That's big-console scaled output.  All it lacked from that time was SW bands.  I'll be working on it as soon as the holiday visits are all over.

Chris Campbell

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 06:34:36 PM »
Here's a photo of my radio.  I'll start taking it apart tonight.

Chris Campbell

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2020, 11:26:04 PM »
Tonight the chassis and tubes got washed.  I'll bet this is the first time in 80 years it has got more than a pursed-lips stream of air to move some dust.This is a densely-packed chassis and it has lots of points to snag cleaning implements so I used small sponges and an acid brush with dish detergent and warm water.  I did not use the hand-cleaner method because there were too many places it could get into but not out of.  And besides, it's like my Chevy:  perfection is not the goal because I'd either be disappointed or broke.  It's an old radio, and just like nobody is going to mistake me for the 16 year old who first crawled behind the wheel of the Chevy, nobody is going to be fooled into thinking this is a NOS radio.  So the goal here is clean, not like-new.  Let's add photos, before and after.

The tubes are mostly original Emersons.  There are three replacements, a 6A7, a 6SQ7, and the rectifier, now a 5U4.  The socket is screwed, not riveted, on so I bet somebody--maybe me--replaced an old-style type 80  with a newer rectifier at some point.  All of the other tube sockets have their tube's number engraved around the holes except this one, too.

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2020, 06:59:46 AM »
Nice job Chris!  You should have fun bring it back to life.  :) :)

Bill

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2020, 08:57:13 AM »
That's a lot of mojo for a table-top... 6L6 and 6L6 G/Ga were something like 19w in PP? be interesting to hear a sound report when all done!
Happy Motoring! from Roger in NY

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2020, 04:59:15 PM »
Neat Radio Chris, I never saw an Emerson with more than 6 tubes and I have half a dozen Emerson's. That cabinet tag is pretty notable!
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2020, 07:47:39 PM »
There's an ad spotted online from when it was new--they were claiming 20 watts out, possible with the 6L6s (but maybe not really with the smallish output transformer).  Of course, they don't specify a distortion figure.  But P-P outputs in a table radio is not to be sneered at.

Chris Campbell

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2020, 10:49:23 PM »
Tonight's project  was making a chassis stand to support this radio, and for use on others too.  I've usually just tried to prop them up, upside-down.  They don't like that position. There are too many fragile projecting pieces--dial scales and supports, antennas, coils, various little parts that aren't designed to hold the chassis.  This one is especially heavy for its size. 

I've made two end pieces in a T-shape.  The top of the T will be the base.  The upright portions will have another T piece at the top, with a pivot bolt so the thing can tip for ease of working.  (Each end will look like an H lying on its side.) The chassis will either be clamped or screwed to that moving piece on each end.  The fixed pieces are out in the shop gluing right now.  Tomorrow on the way home from work I'll stop at Ace Hardware to buy a couple 2" or 2-1/4" bolts with wing nuts for the pivots.   I also need to buy an extension cord to make a new power cord.  Then it's time to dig in, starting with filter caps if I have them on hand.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2020, 11:00:01 PM »
That is an impressive chassis for a table radio! 
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2020, 04:49:39 PM »
That looks like it cleaned up pretty nicely...  It's always much nicer when the chassis has never been a rodent motel!
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!