Author Topic: Zenith console mysteries  (Read 226 times)

turbineoil

• View Profile
Zenith console mysteries
« on: January 18, 2020, 10:51:19 PM »
I'm familiar with the two CONELRAD markings on the AM band, but what is the marking above 100 MHz FM (see below)?  Was that some sort of public service emergency FM frequency location during the Cold War era?

And why did Zenith leave a gap in the rear of the turntable well (see below)?  Was this a redundant feature in case the pilot light on the front bottom of the console burned out so you could tell if your stereo was on (reflecting on the rear wall) when the lid was closed via the bulb illuminating the record changer?

TC Chris

• View Profile
Re: Zenith console mysteries
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 11:41:14 PM »
I'll bet if you look at the FM alignment instructions, it's either a place to mark proper pointer position before adjusting the oscillator or for some other adjustment.   I've seen a lot of dial scales with makes at the ends of the scale but maybe Zenith had a special process for aligning--maybe for the initial factory alignment?

Chris Campbell

Ken Doyle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 09:17:20 AM »
That dot marks what was Zenith owned WEFM in Chicago, 99.5 on the dial.  WEFM stood for Eugene F. McDonald, who was the founder of Zenith Radio Corp.

turbineoil

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 11:59:01 AM »
That dot marks what was Zenith owned WEFM in Chicago, 99.5 on the dial.  WEFM stood for Eugene F. McDonald, who was the founder of Zenith Radio Corp.

Interesting! That explains it.  Any idea why there is a wood cut out behind the turntable well in the Zenith consoles?

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 01:48:41 PM »
If it's a high end Zenith console, and the well is behind the tuner, it's for record storage unless you ordered the optional reel to reel.  The reel to reel popped up out of that well. Not sure how that was done, probably some kind of a motorized thing.  I have never seen one, but others here on the forum have, or do own, high end Zenith's so they might provide that answer.

Bill

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 01:57:56 PM »
[
Interesting! That explains it.  Any idea why there is a wood cut out behind the turntable well in the Zenith consoles?

Interesting note about the Zenith-owned Chicago station. 

As to the cut-out shown in the photo, it may be for ventilation.  Venting is important for most of our electronics, including solid-state ones.  Or even to make lifting the lid less dramatic.  In my house, the small entrance hall has inner and outer doors.  The outer one opens and closes harder when the inside one is closed, even though that inner one is not well sealed at all.  In a console, that vent might have kept the LP from lifting when somebody lifted the lid during the play and there would have been a whoosh of air from underneath. 

Chris Campbell

turbineoil

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2020, 02:25:59 PM »
If it's a high end Zenith console, and the well is behind the tuner, it's for record storage unless you ordered the optional reel to reel.  The reel to reel popped up out of that well. Not sure how that was done, probably some kind of a motorized thing.  I have never seen one, but others here on the forum have, or do own, high end Zenith's so they might provide that answer.

Bill

The cutout is behind the turntable area...

chazglenn3

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2020, 03:29:31 PM »
I like Chris's theory about the LP lifting if you opened the lid. Pressure relief makes a lot of sense to me. Especially as tight as the lid fits.
Charles
USAF Veteran

chazglenn3

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2020, 04:28:13 PM »
I just looked at the back of my YT960. There are two of those cutouts,  one on the left and one on the right.
Charles
USAF Veteran

turbineoil

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2020, 04:38:51 PM »
I just looked at the back of my YT960. There are two of those cutouts,  one on the left and one on the right.

Since heat rises, I'm guessing the rear cut outs provide ventilation in case the unit is turned on but the lid is left closed? 

Your unit adds a tape deck which blocks some of the heat from the tuner from escaping out the back holes when the tape player is in the off (stored down position).  That's probably why the same model without the tape deck only has a cut out on the right side.

So I'm leaning towards the "ventilation while lid is closed but power is turned on" theory.

chazglenn3

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2020, 05:14:03 PM »
 An equally good theory!
Charles
USAF Veteran

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2020, 07:18:48 AM »
I guess i missed the point of this discussion, and did not understand what hole.  There was even an arrow pointing to it.  Sorry!  :-[ :-[ :(

Bill