Author Topic: Mrs Miller!  (Read 173 times)

hermitcrab

• View Profile
Mrs Miller!
« on: January 09, 2020, 05:38:29 PM »
I felt like making my ears bleed... plus I love playing her for unsuspecting people that have never heard of her... my kids thought it was a joke... until I showed them her bio....
Elton

TC Chris

• View Profile
Re: Mrs Miller!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 06:54:53 PM »
She had a predecessor--Florence Foster Jenkins.  Ms. Jenkins was a wealthy lady who could afford to hire halls to perform recitals--terribly.  There's a sample here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtf2Q4yyuJ0

Pretty awful by any standard.

Chris Campbell

hermitcrab

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 11:41:41 AM »
Yep ... I have heard of her ... and completely forgot  until you mentioned her...I guess because i have no music with her....
Elton

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 07:59:52 AM »
I watched a video on U-tube once with Ms. Jenkins singing.  Lets just say once was enough.  ;) :)

Bill

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 02:26:33 PM »
You haven't lived until you've heard Florence Jenkins sing Mozart's "The Magic Flute".
It's enough to make you swear off music!
Happy Motoring! from Roger in NY

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 03:20:19 PM »
If it's that bad, I think I'll pass!   ;) ;) :)

Bill

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 03:24:49 PM »
Imagine karaoke night at the Mozart bar after a few hours of liquid courage.

Chris Campbell

hermitcrab

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2020, 07:41:44 AM »
Karaoke night... what memories .... when I would get up to sing , women would throw their underwear at the stage ....can't remember anything after that because I woke up .... lol
Elton

TJ

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2020, 11:15:30 AM »
I played some Mrs. Miller for my friend on our way to pick up the Symphony yesterday.  We had some good laughs at all of her greatness!
My Consoles:
1962 Motorola SK112CW-FM, All original tubes
1962 Blaupunkt Chicago, PITA to work on...
1959 Magnavox Continental, with extension speaker
1965 Grundig KS590U - to be restored...

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2020, 01:55:19 PM »
Harry Truman's daughter Margaret was also an aspiring singer - of sorts - and evidently pretty mediocre. After one of her concerts her singing was panned by Wash Post music critic Paul Hume who wrote a rather scathing review of her efforts, claiming she was off-key flat much of the time and generally lousy. Truman lost his cool and sent the following response to the paper:

"Mr. Hume:

"I've just read your lousy review of Margaret's concert. I've come to the conclusion that you are an 'eight ulcer man on four ulcer pay.'

"It seems to me that you are a frustrated old man who wishes he could have been successful. When you write such poppy-cock as was in the back section of the paper you work for it shows conclusively that you're off the beam and at least four of your ulcers are at work.

"Some day I hope to meet you. When that happens you'll need a new nose, a lot of beefsteak for black eyes, and perhaps a supporter below!

HST"

Not too long afterwards Margaret found that being a well-known Washington socialite-hostess was more suitable to her talents, and she became a legend in that respect well into the 70s.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2020, 07:08:49 PM »
I've always read about HST's letter but had never seen the text.  There was more talent involved in damning somebody in those days.  It wasn't just @#*&%!!!!

Chris Campbell

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2020, 08:47:55 AM »
Truman was underestimated from the start, David McCullough's bio of him is one of his best efforts, and it raised my opinion of HST by orders of magnitude. I barely remember those pre-Ike days, he being another who has proved better than he was originally reckoned to be in his own time.

Not familiar with this Mrs. Miller?

chazglenn3

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2020, 10:36:20 AM »
Charles
USAF Veteran

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2020, 08:15:12 PM »
Truman was underestimated from the start, David McCullough's bio of him is one of his best efforts, and it raised my opinion of HST by orders of magnitude. I barely remember those pre-Ike days, he being another who has proved better than he was originally reckoned to be in his own time.

My brother sent me A.J. Baime's "The Accidental President" that focuses on HST's first 4 months in office.  He had been in the shadow of my great hero, FDR, and kept out of the loop on significant issues...like the bomb.  And yet he rose to the occasion.  It also addresses the odd fact that he was the product of a political machine, but had always been free of corruption.  The bad guys used HST as their badge of honor, their claim to competence.  He was absolutely devoted to public service and to his wife.

Chris Campbell