Author Topic: Neil Peart RIP  (Read 93 times)

hermitcrab

• View Profile
Neil Peart RIP
« on: January 11, 2020, 12:03:42 PM »
Probably one of the best drummers of this generation ... now we know the real story why the band quit touring 3 years ago... Neil said it was arthritis... but he knew then, that his time was limited ...plus he was a great author of books mostly about riding his hog all over the country .... Thank you for all the great memories of the music you helped create and RIP. 
Elton

electra225

• View Profile
Re: Neil Peart RIP
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 02:09:06 PM »
Never heard of him.  How about going into more detail who this guy was?  What band was he with? 
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

MikeD

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 04:17:39 PM »
Hey guys,

Neil Peart was a drummer for the Canadian rock band Rush. They were popular from the mid 70s on and many people in their 50s or younger grew up listening to them . Some of my earlier purchases on vinyl were of their records : Their 1981 release Moving Pictures being one of my favorites. This album featured Tom Sawyer which many will recognize. I was fortunate to see them in concert including a very memorable one at Alpine Valley in Wisconsin over the 4th of July weekend in 1981.

I would agree he was one of the best drummers of a generation. Right up there with Jon Bonham of Led Zeppelin and Ginger Baker who also passed recently.  Neil will be missed.

Mike

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 04:40:26 PM »
Rush was one more reason many electronic tech - slackers like myself went to concerts in the 1980s mostly. I cannot afford tickets anymore but I hope my kids treat someday ::).

Our girlfriends and/or wives understood Rush more of a thinking man's band, considering the lyrics. Subdivisions from 1984's Grace under Pressure was a personal favorite based on my experiences in those days. What got me though was the song "working man" from the first LP, it showcased each members talent with explosive energy. Three guys made a lot of music like Cream and other "power trios"

I saw Neil (who I shared a birthday with) toss his drumsticks up in the air several times and not affect his percussive contribution. Seeing Rush at the former Spectrum (old Flyers/Sixers venue) in Philadelphia that October 1984 included a laser show that other bands would later copy. I feel beginnings of arthritis these days as I engage in all manner of tinkering :-\ wondering how much pain I could endure.

BTW- The "discovery" of consoles has broadened my taste in music, thanks to members of this forum who remind us what should be played on them to best effect. The days of concerts, quality component systems, cassettes and even CD's has just faded a bit with Neil's passing. Those books about the Hog are on my list, being scared to death of riding one myself. :(
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave