Author Topic: RCA model 45HY4  (Read 145 times)

Bill

• View Profile
RCA model 45HY4
« on: January 12, 2020, 08:48:09 PM »
I don't know if anyone remembers, but earlier this year I found an RCA 45 player.  Right after I purchased it I shared my find and a couple of photos.  It's somewhere here on the forum.  About a week ago I finished up a VM changer that was giving me fits. I guess for this particular changer I needed to rebuild the motor twice.  :( ::) :)  With that project finally done I decided to pick something that I figured would be a rather short rebuild.  As I looked things over, the RCA 45 player came out on top. 

I started with the changer.  This would be my second 45 changer to work on, and this one was in far worse shape than the first. All the grease and oil had turned to stone, and everything was stuck.  I ordered a new drive tire and needle from Gary, that way they would be here when I was ready.   I disassembled the changer, soaked, scrapped, and then cleaned everything again before I was satisfied that it would work.  By the time the cleaning process was finished the parts from Gary had arrived.  I reassembled the changer and was very pleased that it worked, which was a first for me to have anything I do with this hobby work the first time.  I did have to adjust the tone arm so it would sit down on the record.  With the changer done, it was time for the amp.  I pulled the amp, removed the bottom cover and much to my surprise someone had totally recapped it, and they had changed out some resistors too. I could not have been happier.   :) :)  I plugged the changer into the amp, went and found a 45 record and expected to hear beautiful music.  Instead all I heard was a very loud hum, and no sound what's so every coming from the speaker.  Now what!!  :( :(  I started looking at the schematic to see what did what, and then thought maybe I should check the tubes first.  The tubes are: 12AX7, 35W4, and two 35C5's. As I pulled the tubes and looked at there numbers I noticed something that has happened to me before.  Instead of two 35C5's I had one 35C5 and one 35W4 where the 35C5 should be.  There was a 35W4 where it belonged, and the 12AX7 was correct. For some reason, someone, had replaced the 35C5 with a 35W4.  As you can guess that did not work.  I looked thru my supply of tubes and to my surprise found a 35C5.  ::) :) :o  With the correct tube installed the hum was gone, and I now have music coming from the speaker.  Now all I need to do is clean the volume and tone controls, install the new needle, and polish the cabinet.  The funny part of this, the VM changer that was giving me fits was the same record player that had a rectifier tube in place of a output tube.  So one half of the PP circuit was using the correct tube, the other half a rectifier tube just like the RCA 45 player.  I'm not sure how or why, but go figure!

Now that the 45 player is done I get to pick my next project, but that will need to wait until I get back from sunny Arizona. 

Bill

TC Chris

• View Profile
Re: RCA model 45HY4
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 09:16:24 PM »
Any special tricks to getting those changers apart?  I've got an RCA record player--changer/amp/speaker in an even smaller box--and a stand-alone changer, one that had been added to a 78 rpm radio/phono. 

Chris Campbell

Ken Doyle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 10:54:53 AM »
Any special tricks to getting those changers apart?  I've got an RCA record player--changer/amp/speaker in an even smaller box--and a stand-alone changer, one that had been added to a 78 rpm radio/phono. 

Chris Campbell

The two most common RCA 45 record changers are the RP-168 with the metal tone arm, and the RP-190 with the plastic arm (as shown above).  They're both covered in Beitman's manuals available here:

https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Beitman-Manual.htm

The RP-168 is in the 1950 book, the RP-190 is in the 1951 book.  When reassembling, make sure you do the adjustments in the order specified in the Beitman's book and you should have no problems.

They both use the same idler wheel, but the RP-190 also uses a rubber covered cycling cam.  Both are available at https://www.thevoiceofmusic.com .  He also has the rubber motor mounts at a very reasonable price.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 12:11:21 PM »
What Ken said!   There are a couple of springs you need to watch out for so they don't go flying.  Otherwise it's pretty simple.  Not a lot to take apart before you can get at everything.  There is a procedure like Ken said to get it to cycle correctly, and have the tone arm set down correctly.  Once done, it works smoothly and does what it is suppose to do.

Chris, are you thinking of starting a rebuild on your 45's soon? 

Bill

1959MagnificentMagnavox

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 03:06:09 PM »
Nice work Bill, Im restoring a 8EY-4 now Deluxe model. almost done with it.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 05:56:21 PM »
Nice work, Bill!  What size speaker does that have?  I'd like to have a changer like that to use with my RCA radios,   :) :) :) :)
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2020, 07:14:36 PM »
Chris, are you thinking of starting a rebuild on your 45's soon? 

There's always a bit of jostling in the waiting line.  First up right now is the big Emerson table radio.  Last night I found an ad online that touted "20 watts output," which is possible with two 6L6s, especially with 1940s distortion tolerance.  I'm really curious how modern program material will sound via the phono input.  Really... push-pull 6L6s in a table radio?  What were they thinking?

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 06:44:00 AM »
Thanks Greg!   It's an 8" speaker and now for the rest of the story:  Yesterday afternoon I went to Mike's.  I wanted to retest the tubes since I was not sure of the quality of the tube I found.  Much to my surprise, and I'm not sure which was the original and which one was the one I found, one of the 35C5's is dead.  It lights, and there are no shorts, but it reads zero on the meter.  I tested it several times, wiggled it around in the tube tester socket, it still reads zero.  Grrrr

hermitcrab

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2020, 03:39:33 PM »
Quite a following for those RCA-45 players... but I am embarrassed to say never saw the amp for them until now...
Nice Work Bill.
Elton

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2020, 04:37:39 PM »
Thanks Elton!

Bill

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2020, 04:56:03 PM »
Bill, Imagine getting that player new as a teen in the 1950s!!!  :) :D ;D(I was born 20 years too late).
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2020, 07:03:58 PM »
I was born in the 1950's and I did not get one. :(  It was not until the early 1960"s that I got a 45 changer, found a used amp with PP 6V6's and I purchased a 12" Mercury speaker from a local TV repair guy, and  horn from Layfette.  My Dad and I built a little mini console for it.  It actually sounded pretty good.  I think that is what got me hooked on HIFI stuff, and later Stereo stuff.  The good old days!  ;) :)

Bill

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2020, 07:49:49 PM »
That thing may sound really good with that big speaker.  The RCA radios that used it sure sounded nice for a table radio. 
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.