Author Topic: Concert Grand Differences  (Read 249 times)

chazglenn3

• View Profile
Concert Grand Differences
« on: January 13, 2020, 02:35:11 PM »
Has there ever been a consensus reached on whether the 1961 latter model Concert Grand sounded any better or worse than the 1959-1960 models? I know there were some changes to the amplifiers.
Charles
USAF Veteran

electra225

• View Profile
Re: Concert Grand Differences
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 06:01:30 PM »
The only difference I'm aware of between the 1959-'60 Concert Grand models and the 1961 models is the tuning meter replaced the tuning eye tube in the 1961 models.  That should have no effect on the audio performance.  The 1962 models had tubes and other features omitted.  I have never seen one in person, so I can't comment on how they sound.   
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

chazglenn3

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 07:03:02 PM »
I was under the impression that when they changed from the eye tube to the tuning meter, they also went from 2 rectifier tubes per amplifier to one. I also thought they only made them until 1961. I learn something new every day!
Charles
USAF Veteran

chazglenn3

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 01:14:28 PM »
I don't see the Concert Grand in any of the catalogs or brochures after 1962. Starting in 1963, all I see are Astro Sonic consoles. I have read that the Concert Grand may have been built as late as 1966. What say you that know these things? Might they have just been available as custom orders?
Charles
USAF Veteran

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 02:37:41 PM »
I have a picture of a 1961 Concert Grand (somewhere) and, as far as I remember, the chassis and features are the same as 1959-'60 with the exception of the eye tube.  The single rectifiers, no remote control and some other changes came in the abbreviated 1962 model run of the Concert Grand.  There was a solid state Concert Grand built.  A friend in Missouri has one.  I've never seen it and am not sure of its features.  The 1961 Magnavox catalog shows the Concert Grand chassis and it is like the other two years.  I don't know how many years solid state Concert Grands were built.  The story my friends tells is that the shop he worked for got two of them in.  They couldn't give them away.  So, his boss took one and my friend got the other one.  I'm not sure what year it was built.  IIRC, a member on here has one, or had one.  The big 1961 Imperials are like the 1960's electronically with the exception of the eye tube.  Typical for Magnavox, there may have been some instrument built with older features.  My '60 big Imperial is not listed in the 1960 catalog, but it has an eye tube.  It is listed in the 1961 catalog.

I found these pictures.  They were marked 1961, but, in reality, this is a 1962.  The "real" 1961 pictures I am looking for are on the other computer.  This one plainly shows the missing rectifier, MPX adapter and remote control chassis.

vintage cltr

• Global Moderator
  • they're real and they're spectacular
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 02:50:07 PM »
I have owned several 1959/60's and currently own a 1958 Magnavox CG.

Personally, the dual amps lots of tubes is the way to go. Style wise, I love the tuning eye.

I'm sure this is a sound difference but nothing that is going to be really noticed. It's almost the same amount of power being produced.

Resale wise, you tend to see a lot more '59 & 60' models being offered versus the latter '61's and such.

Loud and Vintage.... any questions?

chazglenn3

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2020, 09:19:39 PM »
Thanks for your input guys! I believe the unit I'm planning to purchase is a 1962 model after seeing the photos Greg posted.
Charles
USAF Veteran

chazglenn3

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2020, 08:57:03 AM »
Safe to assume that the automatic signal seeking tuning was only included with the phantom remote control models?
Charles
USAF Veteran

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2020, 09:20:23 AM »
As far as I know, the signal seeking tuner was part of the remote control system.  There is a little red button on mine, above the tuner, that works the signal-seeking system.  You can also change stations with the remote.  All the '62's would be is a big Imperial with two amps

IF you look at the last picture I posted, you will see that where the Concert Grand badge is on that picture is where the little red button for the signal seeking is on my Concert Grand.

These two pictures are mine.  The top is my Imperial.  The bottom is the CG.  You can see the little red button on the bottom picture.

SeniorSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2020, 10:53:33 AM »
Greg, both of your consoles are gorgeous.  If it was me, I wouldn't be able to tell them apart by model.  Thanks for showing the difference.  Magnavox sure put out some nice consoles.  I'll bet they weigh a ton too!

chazglenn3

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2020, 01:02:59 PM »
Thanks, Greg.  That's what I thought.  Those are indeed beautiful consoles!
Charles
USAF Veteran

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2020, 02:59:27 PM »
I have a picture of them sitting side by side where you can see how much bigger the CG is than the Imperial.  About 4" in length and maybe an inch or so in height.

They are heavy.  Not as heavy as everyone says, and not as heavy as the Stereo Theater.  I can lift one end of any of them, but I wouldn't want to do it for very long...... ;) ;)   I'd say 250 or so on the CG, 300 or so on the ST, and maybe 200+ on the Imperial.  I believe my Symphony is heavier than the Imperial.  The three big ones are on casters.   :) :) 

Another project I'd like to do someday is to find a CG someone has stolen the amps out of, but the rest is still there.  I'd put in a pair of 93 series amps to replace the bi-amps originally there.   :) :) :)

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2020, 08:24:50 AM »
Thanks for sharing the comparison.  I have never seen a CG in person, maybe someday. My Imperial is heavier than the my Symphony.   I like your idea of twin 9300 amps.  :) :)

Bill

danrclem

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2020, 11:28:01 AM »
How would you go about running a pair of 9300 amps in one system.

TJ

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2020, 07:28:58 PM »
How would you go about running a pair of 9300 amps in one system.

If I were doing it, I would use one channel of the amp to drive the horn and the other to drive the woofer (Per amp/Speaker Set).  I would use an RCA splitter going into the amp to make both channels getting the same signal, or somehow internally bridge the two inputs to one.  You would need to use a crossover network for the horn so that it would not be overloaded and in the correct frequency range. 

It would theoretically be similar to the 182BA amp, which is basically a 4 channel amp, the horn channels of the 182BA are just in single-ended mode instead of push-pull and each bass channel is in push-pull.
My Consoles:
1962 Motorola SK112CW-FM, All original tubes
1962 Blaupunkt Chicago, PITA to work on...
1959 Magnavox Continental, with extension speaker
1965 Grundig KS590U - to be restored...