: 1959 Voice of Music 582  ( 373 )

TJ

• : 337
1959 Voice of Music 582
« : October 25, 2020, 02:25:40 PM »
Not going to lie, I slacked off in the picture department on this one.  I worked on it for a friend of mine and the only pictures I took were the under side of the amp so that I would have reference shots as I was replacing the components.

Here is a picture from VM: https://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/popup_pics.asp?FOLDER=modelfinderpics/c&FILE=582.jpg&TITLE=582

My friend found it on Facebook, asked me if I would get it working for him if he bought it, and he did all the heavy lifting!  It was for sale by the original owners grandson who was helping clear out the house. We couldn't tell from the pictures if it had the tuner option or not, and it did not have the optional tuner inside the door.

It had lived most of its life in the third-floor rec room of an old Victorian home in Toledo's Old West End district. The original owner had wired speakers throughout the house, added switch panels to the back of the console to switch between the consoles speakers, and the whole-house speakers.  At some point, they had replaced all of the tubes with some nice RCA tubes that were testing almost new on my tester.

The console was working, but your could tell it needed some help.  The Sonotone 8t cartridge was only working out of one channel, and the speakers worked when they wanted to. The cartridge was replaced, and the speaker issue was traced to the speaker switches that the owner had added on the back being bad and they were removed. 

Once I pulled the amp, I started to checking resistors, they were all banded as 10% and they all tested about 12% over spec, I replaced every single one of them. It also has 10 electrolytic capacitors that I replaced, and I replaced all of the ceramic disc caps for good measure.  Basically, the only thing not replaced were the controls and the transformers!

As expected, replacing all of the components should make it sound really good, and it sounds awesome now.  Lots of volume out of the PP 6AQ5 amp, and we added a bluetooth receiver for additional listening sources.

Attached are some pictures of the amp and before and after work that I did.   I had to find a top-side picture of the amp online, but the other two are from the amp I worked on.
My Consoles:
1962 Motorola SK112CW-FM, All original tubes
1958 Magnavox Continental - DIY Concert Grand!
1957 Magnavox Brittany - Amp 148 Magic!

TC Chris

• : 2786
Re: 1959 Voice of Music 582
« #1 : October 25, 2020, 06:18:49 PM »
Wow, looks like a real find.  I was poking around for a schematic online (no luck) but found some favorable comments.  If you have a schematic, can you post it?  I was wondering how it compares to my mono Model 566--same design x 2 with a common power supply?

Chris Campbell

TJ

« #2 : October 25, 2020, 08:25:03 PM »
Wow, looks like a real find.  I was poking around for a schematic online (no luck) but found some favorable comments.  If you have a schematic, can you post it?  I was wondering how it compares to my mono Model 566--same design x 2 with a common power supply?

Chris Campbell
I have added the schematics to the download section.
My Consoles:

TC Chris

• : 2786
« #3 : October 25, 2020, 10:39:25 PM »
I just dug out the schematic of the 1956 Model 566 amp.  Some differences.  The big one is that the 566 uses the David Hafler "ultralinear" output circuit with taps on the OPT providing some feedback at the output tubes' screen grids.  Here's an article from 1951 describing it.
https://www.pearl-hifi.com/06_Lit_Archive/02_PEARL_Arch/Vol_01/Sec_02/075_A_UL_Amplifier.pdf

I was really surprised to look at my schematic and find the transformer taps.  The V-M console is a nice device but not exactly high-end, and yet they were incorporating this little additional element to make it better.   

I can't remember if I ever posted the 566 schematic.  Maybe I should.  Wait... it's in my computer.  Let's attach it here.

Chris Campbell

TJ

« #4 : October 26, 2020, 06:34:12 AM »
Sounds like an engineer was able to slide the ultra-linear setup past the bean counters.  Or, maybe, one of the bean counters was an audio enthusiast and let it slide?   Either way, it's always nice catching the little things that you wouldn't expect to see.
My Consoles:

TJ

« #5 : October 26, 2020, 11:41:36 AM »
I realized that I forgot to say that the speaker cabinets were separate from the main cabinet so that you could move the speakers away from the cabinet to get more stereo separation.  The woofers were side firing and the tweeters faced forward, the manual also stated that you should rotate the speaker cabinets inward when they are spread apart to get the best stereo reproduction.
My Consoles: