Author Topic: Question for Larry the rca guy :) or anyone who knows rca sets  (Read 3080 times)

MagnificentMagnavox1959

• View Profile
Question for Larry the rca guy :) or anyone who knows rca sets
« on: November 26, 2014, 10:39:55 PM »
quick question guys or Larry. I have a nice 1963 rca Mark series console, as you all know they had that three prong plug for tape. I want to leave that on but hook up two new rca type plugs to be able to play my akai reel to reel deck or a few others I have that use the modern rca type jacks. I pulled the back off the set, there are three wires, ones white the middle looks like a ground and the other is red. I assume the white and red is left and right? I went to hook up a new rca type plug to it and got a huge distorted bad ground sound and could barely here anything
So how do I hook a new set of rca jacks to it to use
Pics would be nice to, I'm sure a lot of the members would like to see how this is done
Thanks Larry and anyone else who might know

rcavictorland

Re: Question for Larry the rca guy :) or anyone who knows rca sets
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 10:06:20 AM »
I think RCA installed three pin jacks (instead of standard RCA jack) primarily so you'd have to buy an RCA tape unit for your console and not some other brand.  I doubt that other manufacturers used the same plugs and jacks.

I wanted to play my Akai reel to reel tape deck through my 1962 RCA stereo console so I had to do the following to accommodate the tape deck.

1.  I drilled two 1/4 inch holes on the side of the amp chassis near the original three pin jack.

2.  I went to Radio Shack and got a package of RCA jacks and installed one in each hole.

3.  I used hookup wire to wire the new jacks to the original three pin jack.  On the original jack, red is one channel and white is the other.  The center is ground.  It works perfectly, and I didn't have to remove the original jack.

wa2ise

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 12:02:20 PM »
If you need to figure out, or to verify, the jack connections, turn the amp on, set the volume around 1/3 the way up. Then touch each pin, one at a time, to see which pin produces hum, and which channel that hum appears on.  No hum should mean you found the ground pin.  Once you know which pin does what, get a stereo RCA patch cord, cut off one end, and solder the appropriate wires to their respective pins.  Usually the red shielded wire is for the right channel. 

MagnificentMagnavox1959

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 03:02:27 PM »
That's what I thought
Thanks guys!
I knew Larry would know and others in the forum

Larry if you have a pic of yours can you post it
Just to see.
Thanks again happy turkey day

rcavictorland

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 07:37:43 PM »
Sorry, I just installed the jacks and didn't make any pictures of them.  It's easy to do... the jacks could be anywhere on the amp.. just be sure when you drill holes for the RCA jacks that you don't hit any components inside the amp.

MagnificentMagnavox1959

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 04:31:30 PM »
Ok
Sounds great I'll try it
I was going to hook them up to the tree pin jsck down by the bottom of the cabinet instead of to the one in the actual amp
Just have the twi wires come through two holes in the back panel

rcavictorland

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 07:05:49 PM »
They need hooked up to the existing three pin tape input jack in the amplifier itself.

MagnificentMagnavox1959

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2014, 05:19:38 PM »
Oh ok
No wonder it didn't work
All I got was distortion. I'll have to pull the radio chassis to do it then
Can I leave the original hooked up to for authenticity?

rcavictorland

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2014, 11:58:19 PM »
Yes, leave the original three pin plug hooked up.  Just run hookup wire from your two new RCA jacks and solder to those three terminals on the original jack.

revolverone

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 04:07:49 PM »
Mine has this too.  I had bought a secondary changer off E-bay.  The original changer was in poor condition.  Anyway, it gave me one of the extra 3-prong cables that ran from the changer to the amp, so I cut it and wired in a standard RCA cable to plug into my R2R. Best part, it still uses the original 3 prong connector on the back of my console and I didn't have to do any mods to the console.