: Found a 1957 or 58 zenith HF17 record player  ( 533 )

my junk is stuff

• : 122
Found a 1957 or 58 zenith HF17 record player
« : January 23, 2021, 11:22:11 PM »
I discovered this little gem in a local antique store today.  Didn't on sight but I think I will go back and pick it up after researching it a bit.  Looks like a nice little mono amp with 12" woofer and 6V6GT power tubes and a sweet Cobra-matic changer and decent chrome. It has a 5Z21 amp in it.

Dennis H
"Don't mind me, I'm just here to break stuff"

Bill

• : 1984
« #1 : January 24, 2021, 09:06:06 AM »
That is a nice looking unit, and it's a five knobber.  Bass, Treble, Presence, Loudness, and I think the other knob says room compensator?  I see it has at least one electrostatic tweeter.  It should be a good performer once rebuilt.  You definitely should go for it.  ;) :)

Bill

TC Chris

• : 2762
« #2 : January 24, 2021, 10:33:29 PM »
I second the motion.  Looks like a cool console.  Play your mono records or add a stereo cartridge and play stereo discs in mono.

Chris Campbell

my junk is stuff

« #3 : January 30, 2021, 05:12:16 PM »
Ok, it took a week, but we managed to get my oldest daughter back down to Bloomington and unloaded in her dorm and back to Lafayette by 3PM so I had time to run over and pick up the little Zenith.

I found the SAMS Photofact for the 5Z21 amp already so that will be good. Also will want to ID the needle type.

I did notice a problem I had not before.  The plastic platter cover is oddly damaged in the center. It looks like it was heated somehow and the middle 1.5" section is humped up.  Very odd.  In the event I need to locate replacement, are there any repros out there or am I best served by locating a parts unit?
I am also missing the correct 45 spindle rack, would be great if anyone has a quickie photo of the correct-ish version :)
Dennis H

my junk is stuff

« #4 : January 30, 2021, 06:24:38 PM »
Ok, So I:
1) Bought the 346-21 Sams Photofact for this little dude.
2) Downloaded the 5Z21 schematic from Radio Museum
3) Downloaded the VM Cobra-matic manual from our download section, Thanks Harbormaster!
4) Looked on Gary's VM site and located what I think will be the correct turntable mats to replace the flubbed on on my unit.

Feeling pretty good.  Watching the Daytona 24 hours  IMSA race now, but will probably get down to the basement and start pulling components out and take a close look.  Will also assess the Cap situation.  It's need to 40uf @ 450V and two 20 uf @ 350V.  I think I might have at least some of those already but will have to put my list together.
Dennis H

Bill

• : 1984
« #5 : January 31, 2021, 12:09:17 PM »
Sounds like you have things under control Dennis.  As with any of our toys, it's one step at a time.

Bill

Motorola Minion

• : 1248
  • Southern Pennsylvania
« #6 : April 01, 2021, 03:28:37 PM »
It might be a good idea to follow up on your 57 Zenith. I had three (?)similar mono consoles HF183, two HF1284 and they all use a PP 6V6 amp with two 12" woofers and electrostatic tweeters.

One of these three was free. The 1958 HF1284 is a year later, last of the mono HiFis for Zenith. It was in a slight messed up cabinet, speaker grill all clawed up, missing its cobramatic as well.

The big power resistor, a candohm branded metal strip that was riveted to the chassis, was the only BIG problem other than a fresh set of caps and there weren't many. It sounded absolutely fantastic using a bluetooth or other source and yes, even the electrostatic tweeters are functioning. The speakers, amp and pre-amp with Presence (variable amp feedback) are its best feature.

The radio section needed a dial cord and was also suffering from silver mica disease, so I passed on trying to fix any of that. I gave it to a talented associate who replaced grill cloth and refinished the walnut, so now he has a very nice bluetooth speaker. LOL

I hope your results are better but I have two others that might just be better, radio wise.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

firedome

• : 537
« #7 : April 04, 2021, 02:03:28 PM »
Being a mono unit it'd be fun to use it to listen to ball games if the radio functions on AM, and there's still some decent FM stations with music out there too... hope you enjoy it MJIS!
Happy Motoring! from Roger in NY