: Couple of video's of me replacing the caps on an A575-02 AMP  ( 576 )

my junk is stuff

• : 122
Couple of video's of me replacing the caps on an A575-02 AMP
« : January 24, 2021, 11:03:36 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxQr2pULomo&t=3s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUlqiV4ytB8&t=397s

Please feel free to offer feedback or suggestions.  I have since replaced the row of resistors as well and it seems to work pretty well now.

Dennis H
"Don't mind me, I'm just here to break stuff"

TC Chris

• : 2762
« #1 : January 24, 2021, 12:54:48 PM »
Were the resistors out of spec, or were you just being cautious?  One did look suspicious in your video.

Chris Campbell

my junk is stuff

• : 122
« #2 : January 24, 2021, 01:31:47 PM »
Were the resistors out of spec, or were you just being cautious?  One did look suspicious in your video.

Chris Campbell
I was not able to check them but several were covered in blisters or bubbles if you will.  The Amp seemed to lose a little steam once it heated up after a few minutes of operation.  I'm not sure that was directly related to the resistors but after replacing them, it did not lose steam and stayed strong.  I really need to get my Simpson meter back in action.  I need to replace the meter action in my 260 P7 I think.. been so long since i looked at it.  I was piping mad at myself for being so careless with it as to leave it on the bench laying flat while I was working on something completely different.  something heavy toppled and smashed to glass and the movement... I was crushed.
Dennis H
"Don't mind me, I'm just here to break stuff"

TC Chris

• : 2762
« #3 : January 24, 2021, 03:47:59 PM »
I was reading through that comment and was thinking "check the bearings before you replace the movement" but then I read what the problem was. Ouch!  I've got an old 260 that an elderly friend bequeathed to me.  The cool thing about objects like that is that I think of the original owner every time I use it.  Right now I'm headed out to the shop to check the wiring on my RME-84 comm. receiver S-meter.  I replaced the cable some time back and the meter didn't work after.  Bet I miscalculated which plug prong was which.  But I'll use the $5 digital meter my brother gave me, on the continuity noise setting.  The receiver got recapped over the last couple days.  Didn't work worth a damn afterward.  Then I noticed that my antenna was hooked to a ground terminal.  It was upside down on my chassis stand and my brain didn't translate positions.  Hope that's the problem with the S-meter.

Chris Campbell

hermitcrab

• : 248
« #4 : March 25, 2021, 11:25:25 AM »
I had the same problem with mine, the 270 ohm 2 watters were cracked on both channels I think mine is a different model , it is a imperial astro sonic from 67.. my power supply has 4 caps and so far I have not changed them , but It has a slight background hum... so I think the time is coming... lol   
Elton