: 1958 Magnavox Stereorama adventure  ( 555 )

Hydrolastic

• : 28
1958 Magnavox Stereorama adventure
« : February 08, 2021, 06:54:23 PM »
Hello all. I saw a 1st 203 f stereorama on Portlands Facebook marketplace ad it was a gutted cabinet. I didn't buy it.  Of course a month later i see another 1st 203 f stereorama a hundred miles north of me. It was slow going in communication and it looked like the deal was falling through they just wanted too much money for it. The next week i was going to Portland 200 miles south. The day before i left for portland the stereorama north of me became available so i checked Facebook and the gutted portland cabinet was still there. I purchased it first as parts for the north Stereorama. Seeing it, it was an interesting piece its beat up with the amp removed but it was otherwise complete with turntable and trim. Two weeks later i went to Ferndale to pick up the other working stereorama. It's a complete version of the parts cabinet i purchased weeks before I noticed though it is missing the trim on the top slider door also the speaker switch and knob are broken. Looking at the parts cabinet both items are there. But an interesting thing is the speaker date code is the same, not close but actually the same 232 839.
     Couple of other things to note about the Stereorama.  Its a plastic printed finish, it is in a different shade of finish even though the model numbers (1st 203 f) are the same. ? its the smaller magnet speakers, smaller 175 amp and it had a peculiar front left woofer and a side right woofer. This last thing is a reason i wanted it as i have a left room corner for it. The only defect is the top edge has a scrape on it. Not sure what to do for that. I still like it though.  Aaron

TC Chris

• : 2762
« #1 : February 08, 2021, 07:17:05 PM »
The only defect is the top edge has a scrape on it. Not sure what to do for that. I still like it though.  Aaron

This is the easy part!  Find some wood stain that's a good match.  Maybe try it on an out-of-sight location that uses the same wood, somewhere in the back or underneath, so you can verify how it will work.  The original finish may have been a toned (colored) lacquer over an inexpensive wood, imitating some fancier.  But never mind, you just want to get a close-enough match.  You could add a bit of shellac over it when the color looks good and if it's too glossy, tame it with some 0000 steel wool.  The damaged place jumps out at you but once you get a close match, other people aren't going to have their eyes drawn to it.

Chris Campbell

Bill

• : 1984
« #2 : February 09, 2021, 09:23:15 AM »
It sounds like an adventure with a positive out come.  As of late, anything I see I might want is way too far away to go after.  Congrats Aaron. 

Bill

Motorola Minion

• : 1248
  • Southern Pennsylvania
« #3 : February 09, 2021, 11:06:46 AM »
I noticed you have an Avatar showing a console similar to my 1ST208F "Symphony 1960" which has 15" woofers and 3 mid-high drivers per side (no horns) mahogany finish, but likely printed as well.

The Magnavox "stereorama" that I have is a 1959 1SC202 which has no radio. It has an AMP 185 with 12" woofs and two cone drivers per side but one woofer faces forward, the other to the side.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

Hydrolastic

• : 28
Re: 1958 Magnavox Stereorama adventure
« #4 : February 17, 2021, 05:31:32 PM »
Yes, I started with the avatar console. which still is the nicest one to date 1ST208F it has the 175 amp and no MPX but i got one for it and plan on installing. Then i bought another similar console 2ST208F but its a year newer. It has a AMP 185  and came with the MPX unit. The continental still awaits restoration. The 58 CG is a long term project also. The 2 stereoramas followed me home (1ST203F) one had a AMP 175 and 2 15" woofers and i think i am giving it to my sister. The Imperial is a mess and am trying to decide if its salvageable. Aaron